Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
best product

i've seen countless threads of different products to use for washing, waxing and all that fun stuff, just wanted to kno what the BEST one is to use, and how long after i get the car should i wash it? i'm gonna b getting it around april so it'll b just in time for the sun

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad2009 View Post
i've seen countless threads of different products to use for washing, waxing and all that fun stuff, just wanted to kno what the BEST one is to use, and how long after i get the car should i wash it? i'm gonna b getting it around april so it'll b just in time for the sun
You're going to get alot of opinions and options.

Do you want something you can purchase "over the counter"? Is ordering by mail a problem? How much time do you want to devote? Is quality your top priority?

If you'll read this section, you'll get a good idea of where I stand.

The best advice I have is to consider the questions and decide for yourself. There are alot of good products available. You have to decide which one works best FOR YOU.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
shad2009
"Cassie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
You're going to get alot of opinions and options.

Do you want something you can purchase "over the counter"? Is ordering by mail a problem? How much time do you want to devote? Is quality your top priority?

If you'll read this section, you'll get a good idea of where I stand.

The best advice I have is to consider the questions and decide for yourself. There are alot of good products available. You have to decide which one works best FOR YOU.

Ed

mailing isnt a problem, especially if im gettin the best quality...so there answers the quality question lol...i'll devote as much time as it takes to keep her lookin beautiful...how often do ppl usually wash their cars? i wanna do EVERYTHING right with her, since i'm spendin alotta cash ya kno lol

Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad2009 View Post
mailing isnt a problem, especially if im gettin the best quality...so there answers the quality question lol...i'll devote as much time as it takes to keep her lookin beautiful...how often do ppl usually wash their cars? i wanna do EVERYTHING right with her, since i'm spendin alotta cash ya kno lol
imo, there's no such thing as "best". There is definitely "better" but not a best. Products that are typically available online are, for the most part, better than what you can pick up locally in stores. Not to say that whats available in stores is bad, but you're very limited w/ availability usually.

What you're going to notice is that detailing your ride is going to be totally up to you. Try a few products, see what you like and what appeals to you in terms of application, removal and appearance on the car. How often you wash is up to you as well. This will partly depend on how often you drive the vehicle and under what conditions. Is it garaged often or never? I have customers who garage their show cars and never wash them and I also have guys who wash 3x a week!
Regardless of how often you decide to do it, washing will be your most important step. Not only for keeping it clean, but this is also the time to keep the swirls and spiderwebbing down to a minimum. The key to this is going to be by using a 2 bucket method to wash the vehicle.
Its pretty straight forward. One bucket is for your dirty rinse water and one is for your clean wash water. I recommend at least one grit guard in your bucket. This helps to separate the dirt (which settles at the bottom) from being reintroduced to the mitt and ultimately the paint. Make sure you use a quality wash shampoo that wont strip your wax or dry out moldings. We have quite a few to choose from here if you're interested: http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/exshbure.html
And to dry, the 2 options would be a microfiber waffle weave drying towel or the p21s drying towel Both are very safe to use.

And thats your basics for washing. You can always add in some toys to your wash routine, such as a foam gun or a water softener and cartridge Both are definitely worth having, but certainly not requirements to maintaining the car. Same w/ the wheels, an ez detail brush is one of the best wheel brushes I've ever used in order to reach the inner barrels of the wheel, but you could forgo this for now if you wanted.

and heres a few wash kits that are already bundled up if you're interested.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/carwabuandpa.html

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help out w/
Old 10-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
People here love Zaino. You can buy a package from them in their shop, which makes it easy to get everything you need to keep a car clean. It's not the best looking product there, but you will get a pretty damn good looking car and it lasts for a really long time.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
shad2009
"Cassie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@glimmerglass View Post
imo, there's no such thing as "best". There is definitely "better" but not a best. Products that are typically available online are, for the most part, better than what you can pick up locally in stores. Not to say that whats available in stores is bad, but you're very limited w/ availability usually.

What you're going to notice is that detailing your ride is going to be totally up to you. Try a few products, see what you like and what appeals to you in terms of application, removal and appearance on the car. How often you wash is up to you as well. This will partly depend on how often you drive the vehicle and under what conditions. Is it garaged often or never? I have customers who garage their show cars and never wash them and I also have guys who wash 3x a week!
Regardless of how often you decide to do it, washing will be your most important step. Not only for keeping it clean, but this is also the time to keep the swirls and spiderwebbing down to a minimum. The key to this is going to be by using a 2 bucket method to wash the vehicle.
Its pretty straight forward. One bucket is for your dirty rinse water and one is for your clean wash water. I recommend at least one grit guard in your bucket. This helps to separate the dirt (which settles at the bottom) from being reintroduced to the mitt and ultimately the paint. Make sure you use a quality wash shampoo that wont strip your wax or dry out moldings. We have quite a few to choose from here if you're interested: http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/exshbure.html
And to dry, the 2 options would be a microfiber waffle weave drying towel or the p21s drying towel Both are very safe to use.

And thats your basics for washing. You can always add in some toys to your wash routine, such as a foam gun or a water softener and cartridge Both are definitely worth having, but certainly not requirements to maintaining the car. Same w/ the wheels, an ez detail brush is one of the best wheel brushes I've ever used in order to reach the inner barrels of the wheel, but you could forgo this for now if you wanted.

and heres a few wash kits that are already bundled up if you're interested.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/carwabuandpa.html

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help out w/
thanx for the extensive, but much needed info

Old 10-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
I use nothing but Meguiars. They even have an online tool to help you decide what you need.

http://meguiars.com/rx/rx_main.cfm

patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
jtellez

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I never heard of Zaino before camaro5, but I bought it and I'm sold on it. The shine you get is amazing and its so simple to use.

www.zainostore.com
3000-Order accepted by production control: 9/10 TPW 10/05/09
3300-Order scheduled for production: 9/24
3400-Order broadcast: 10/01
3800-Order produced: 10/09
4B00-Order Placed on hold: 10/12
4200-Shipped: 10/14
5000-Delivered to the dealer: 10/27
6000-Delivered to the customer: 10/27
jtellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Outlaw

Drives: 2SS M6, IBM w/ Silver Rally
Zaino is also my favorite. You can get everything you need and it really is show car shine.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
jtellez

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I will say that Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray works amazing as well.
3000-Order accepted by production control: 9/10 TPW 10/05/09
3300-Order scheduled for production: 9/24
3400-Order broadcast: 10/01
3800-Order produced: 10/09
4B00-Order Placed on hold: 10/12
4200-Shipped: 10/14
5000-Delivered to the dealer: 10/27
6000-Delivered to the customer: 10/27
jtellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
shad2009
"Cassie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
I use nothing but Meguiars. They even have an online tool to help you decide what you need.

http://meguiars.com/rx/rx_main.cfm

i did check on them, im gonna c how they are, i watched a couple of the videos and was happy, so we'll c

Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Camarorss350
camaro blogger

Drives: 2010 Black on Black SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Camarorss350
Go with P21S... Meguiars, Mothers, Armor All, are inferior in my opinion... I used to detail for a living and my customers always liked when i used P21S products...
Camarorss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarorss350 View Post
Go with P21S... Meguiars, Mothers, Armor All, are inferior in my opinion... I used to detail for a living and my customers always liked when i used P21S products...
P21s Products = good stuff

Where in Nj are you btw?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Beagle ear wax is far superior to any other product.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote