Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-31-2010, 11:34 PM   #29
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Because the spoilers are a molded piece it is very likely that there is some variation in the molds and without proper correction of spacing such variation could be causing this rub due to the tolerance being eliminated. This is just one possible explanation - and I agree there s/b some more tolerance built into the mounting.

But, I did notice one thing from the pictures Rick posted with the spoiler removed. The metal around the 1 hole in the trunk lid is deformed. It's crowned upwards which means that that particular nut may, at some point, have been over tightened. When the "loose nut" issue came out Gm said the problem was traced to a faulty torque wrench on the line. Looking at the parts when I checked my spoiler nuts I realized that it would be very easy to over tighten them and crush the foam rubber on the studs. I didn't have the proper torque spec at the time so I tightened them firmly, but not too tight and used permanent loc-tite (the red stuff). Hoping to avoid the issue - so far so good.

To reiterate, I'm not saying this IS the cause of the issue and I agree a change in design is probably warranted. But you know what, for a first year car, brand new model, I think that they have done an excellent job out of the gate to minimize the issues (and yes I know some will disagree with me - I'm only speaking from my own experience).

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #30
scritchy

Drives: Black 2LT RS CGM Rallys
Exclamation Paint Chips Under Spoiler

Has anybody else noticed paint chips under their spoiler? It is almost like the spoiler was bolted down too tight and cracked the paint. Try to ignore the dust in the pictures, the car was washed this morning, I swear.

I guess I'll call the dealership, but I wanted to find out if anybody else had this problem also.
scritchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #31
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
Do a search a you'll find a number of threads on this exact topic. Including one that I started not too long ago.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #32
scritchy

Drives: Black 2LT RS CGM Rallys
I guess I suck at searching, I didn't find your thread the first time through. Thanks.
scritchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #33
Kitty

Drives: Black on Black M6 RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97563

that thread also includes the paint peeling off my spoiler and how my dealer handled it. take it in right away and get it fixed

wants to push you down a flight of stairs to see if you are like a slinky or if you bounce like a ball... either way, I am quite sure I will be amused
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #34
Enzo

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scritchy View Post
I guess I'll call the dealership, but I wanted to find out if anybody else had this problem also.
This problem is covered under warranty do you should take it in when you can.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #35
Texhawk

Drives: 69Camaro,87IROC,96 SS,Z06&Stingray
Now, I am glad I ordered mine without the spoiler.
I was thinking about adding one later, but maybe not. Car looks good without it.
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #36
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Is this only happening on the 2010's ? It appears maybe GM fixed on the 2011 ? I've only had my 2011 for a couple weeks but I will definitly keep an eye on it.....
ss=scuba steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #37
dwade76

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
What?! I thought mine was the only one doing that i'm sorta glad mine isn't the only one with this problem. I'm going to take it in to my dealer this week and see if they can help.
dwade76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #38
alwinSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Mine did the same thing on both sides of the spoiler. Took it to the dealership, Adventure Chevrolet in Dalton and they had it in their body shop the next business day. Had it back in three days. Better than new.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #39
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
NO it is not just black cars, I checked our car after PQ posted his months ago. Our has not been painted twice, different nuts used, different tape used to keep the spoiler from moving, and well Yes the paint is currently peeled off. I'm not sure I want to paint it a 3rd time, each time I get pissed off when they leave little fisheyes or specks of dust in the paint.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #40
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
oh and it is only on the right side above the SS

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #41
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbridge camaro medic View Post
I find it ridiculous that we are all spending 30 40 even 50K for these cars and this kind of crap happens. Thank you all for your responses, I have already put in a email to my dealer in London, ontario...funny....they haven't gotten back to me yet. I will not leave this alone!
Thank Al Gore and his water based paint.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #42
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
I got mine on 6/7/10 and have fought with myself about this. I should say something. I have noticed how many have posted about this and I probably should at least call and check about this. Uhg . Just makes me mad cause I am on the waiting list for my left Halo replacement which is on national back order and now this . I still love her though.

Tags
chip, chips, paint, spoiler, spoiler chips