Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #113
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
I would like to say customer service from RedWS600 has been EXCELLENT, however the product is not quite ready for mass release.

After having the chance to compare RedWS600 product to his competitors product today, thier is a HUGE difference in how they are made, and time will tell after installation if the competitors product holds up!! I'm constantly putting VETERAN 1 on display at both local & national events, so the competitors product will be fully tested and reviewed!

Having gone through 2 units NOW, they both have failed

They work fine for 30-60 days, and then as usual the right side lights, start going out 1 at a time and anyone who seen VETERAN 1 at the GM Nationals , pointed this out to me. The lights worked pefectly prior to Carlisle and failed at the show!

The only way I could get the lights to shut off, was to pull the "fuse" they would come on with the remote, but not off!!
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #114
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I hate hearing about failed lights, but I've had my knightlight scanner for at least 2 to 3 months already (I was in the second batch, I honestly don't remember how long ago that was) and I haven't had a single issue with it. I hope it all works out for your ride

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:10 AM   #115
RedWS600

Drives: 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I just checked out the website in your link, found the assembly page, and now I have a question:

If I were to belt sand the LED's flush with the black plastic front-piece, would that kill them all? From what I understand about LED's, the clear acrylic is simply protecting the actual diode, and from what I can tell, the diode on the LED's you're using lays rearward of the outside face of the black plastic.

Do you see a flaw in this theory? Obviously if I were to belt sand them, I would need to come back with some really fine-grained sandpaper to make the new "face" of the LED's super smooth, but I would like to know if you think this is even feasible...
Interesting idea. The end part of the LED is the lens part of it. some other products we have made have the LED belt sanded flat, this does increase the viewing angle still giving out the same overall brightness but spread over a wider area, therefore looking directly at the LED it wont appear as bright. Sou right in thinking sanding the LED wont damage it, if you don't go as far as the diode inside, and you got vibrate it too much. I think it is feasible, but wouldn't recommend it for everyone to do, if you do go ahead, let me know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster
I would like to say customer service from RedWS600 has been EXCELLENT, however the product is not quite ready for mass release.

After having the chance to compare RedWS600 product to his competitors product today, thier is a HUGE difference in how they are made, and time will tell after installation if the competitors product holds up!! I'm constantly putting VETERAN 1 on display at both local & national events, so the competitors product will be fully tested and reviewed!

Having gone through 2 units NOW, they both have failed

They work fine for 30-60 days, and then as usual the right side lights, start going out 1 at a time and anyone who seen VETERAN 1 at the GM Nationals , pointed this out to me. The lights worked pefectly prior to Carlisle and failed at the show!

The only way I could get the lights to shut off, was to pull the "fuse" they would come on with the remote, but not off!!
Hi Spymaster, thanks for the vote on customer service. I try my best to sort out all problems as soon as possible. That's real bad luck having to faulty units. I haven't seen an email form you regarding this. Please let me know so I can resolve this for you. you have a great looking ride there. i bet that attracts a lot of attention.
You mention a competitors light, do you have info on this? We are just building another 150 lights, slightly different design to eliminate past faults, but we cant come down on price, as all is built in UK. We certainly don't want to go to the far east for assembly as the quality just isn't acceptable to us.
You mention the light not turning off when pressing the off on the keyfob. the display area has memory, and if the control signals go amiss then it could display a static pattern. The next generation of the controller will shut off power to the display area to eliminate this. We listen to all reports from customers to improve the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter
I hate hearing about failed lights, but I've had my knightlight scanner for at least 2 to 3 months already (I was in the second batch, I honestly don't remember how long ago that was) and I haven't had a single issue with it. I hope it all works out for your ride
Glad that all is working well for you, its good to hear positive posts. There are many components on the light, and proven design for over 10 years, however the Camaro model splits the display from the controller via a ribbon, and implementing key fob control, that's the only difference in the design to previous models. The ribbon is where most of the problems lie.
It is unfortunate that some customers have problems, and I want them to be showing off a working light as soon as possible.

With the new controller do people favour the ribbon cable approach? or would single wires screwed into a terminal block on the control board be better for people? Cant put a large connector on it, as it wont feed through the hole behind the mail slot.

Scanning lights for the 2010 Camaro http://www.camaro-scanners.co.uk
RedWS600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #116
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
I would assume the "competitor's light" he's talking about is the one that there is a thread for around here somewhere, in this same forum, on page 1, from AAC, for $60. Apparently, they have one that fits the mail slot now.

Spymaster has posted in that thread, so that's got to be the one he's talking about.
rdblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #117
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Yes, the competitor scanner light is in this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89908

From what I can tell (and the video they posted isn't exactly the best) the scanner is set up completely different as far as how the lighting effects work. It's hard to describe in writing, but I'll give it a shot.

In your scanner (Dan aka RedWS600) each individual LED is controlled seperately, which provides a very smooth transitional lighting effect. So, when you have the original Knight Rider pattern on, you can achieve a much more defined fading effect.

In AACStyle's scanner, it appears as though they have multiple LED's (I think 4 or 5) in a row grouped together electrically. So, while this might not allow for as smoothe of a transitional lighting affect from one LED to the next, it does make programming their controller a little simpler and therefore they can jam several more effects into their control module. But, like I said above, I don't think the video they provided in their thread was very good quality because (in my opinion) the video makes the light look like an epileptic seizure waiting to happen. Because of the video quality, I'm going to hold off on any judgement and wait until they either post a solid quality video of their product or I see their product in person.

However, in effect the two companies might be considered "competitors" but the two products are markedly different.

I hope that was objective

Last edited by CamaroSkooter; 07-08-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #118
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Yes, the competitor scanner light is in this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89908

From what I can tell (and the video they posted isn't exactly the best) the scanner is set up completely different as far as how the lighting effects work. It's hard to describe in writing, but I'll give it a shot.

In your scanner (Dan aka RedWS600) each individual LED is controlled seperately, which provides a very smooth transitional lighting effect. So, when you have the original Knight Rider pattern on, you can achieve a much more defined fading effect.

In AACStyle's scanner, it appears as though they have multiple LED's (I think 4 or 5) in a row grouped together electrically. So, while this might not allow for as smoothe of a transitional lighting affect from one LED to the next, it does make programming their controller a little simpler and therefore they can jam several more effects into their control module. But, like I said above, I don't think the video they provided in their thread was very good quality because (in my opinion) the video makes the light look like an epileptic seizure waiting to happen. Because of the video quality, I'm going to hold off on any judgement and wait until they either post a solid quality video of their product or I see their product in person.

However, in effect the two companies might be considered "competitors" but the two products are markedly different.

I hope that was objective
I completely agree about the AAC light. Maybe it's just the video but it's not smooth at all. I understand that the original Knight Rider's scanner wasn't "smooth" and was individual lights in sequence...but that's only because the technology wasn't really available (the new Knight Rider's was fluid).

From their description it was just a bar...that you could bend into shape to fit the mail slot but I'm still holding judgement on it until I see one installed and see a nice fluid transition of lights.

(Oh, and I'll definitely second Dan's impeccable customer service.)
Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #119
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Love my light no issues it's been on the car since May 22 having to endure the Florida rain and heat (almost daily rain storms, and 90+ degree temps and 100% humidity)plus me twice a week washing of the car. My only complaint is the remove I would love to have more range but again that is my only complaint and I can live with the 10-12 ft range it has right now. One a side note another plus is Dan's customer service it's been great.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #120
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
I think this one certainly looks better than the "competitor light". Hopefully when he said he'd be "away from e-mail between 14 and 28 July" in the post above, he's not "away".

Keep soldering so I can get mine! No rest for you! How dare you take vacation!

Looking forward to getting mine. Thanks for making this!
rdblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #121
brooks35

Drives: 57Chevy TrailblazerSS 73Camaro
I have to agree with rdblan2. The competitor's light install looks horrible. It looks like it is just pushed into the opening, and doesn't belong there at all. I have had my light for some time now and use it every day and so far I have had no issues. At least I know if something does go wrong, Dan will stand behind it and take care of any issues. That alone makes it worth it to me.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #122
LadiesMan217

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks35 View Post
I have to agree with rdblan2. The competitor's light install looks horrible. It looks like it is just pushed into the opening, and doesn't belong there at all. I have had my light for some time now and use it every day and so far I have had no issues. At least I know if something does go wrong, Dan will stand behind it and take care of any issues. That alone makes it worth it to me.
Mine isn't currently working correctly but I've contacted Dan about it and he's been great through the whole process. I love the product but this is the second time I've had an issue (the first time...it seemed to just work itself out ).

After running some diagnostics on it, Dan came to the conclusion that the display board needs to be replaced and he's doing that. He said that it may take some time but it's understandable and I'm fine with it.

I have a feeling that the AAC one (because it's an engineered "off the shelf" product) is more reliable...and it's cheaper...but it's just a universal bar...for any application. This one is specifically made for the Camaro...and the mailslot. It's cheaper because no extra man-hours went into it. They picked it off the shelf and said that it would fit (of course it'll be cheaper).

Come to find out that it really doesn't fit and you need to cut into the actual mailslot to shimmy it into place...but that's a whole other issue. From the first day that mailslot question was asked I knew it wouldn't fit it...but I guess with a sawzall, duct tape, and WD-40, anybody can get anything to fit and work anywhere. It's a shame because I like the functions it has...and AAC has been great to deal with in the past.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #123
Agent Iroquois

Drives: 1992 firebird convert
HI
My light is installed and working perfectly. the only issue is that the range is soooooooooo bad. I mean...like 3 feet.

I dont understand. The doors unlock from a MUCH further distance. Ideas? I totally LOVE the product...but it basiclly doesnt work because of the range.

Last, there is a spot near the buttons for opening the sunroof that can be paired to a garage door opener. Anyone know if we can hook that up to the scanner light instead? that would ROCK!
Agent Iroquois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #124
LadiesMan217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Iroquois View Post
HI
My light is installed and working perfectly. the only issue is that the range is soooooooooo bad. I mean...like 3 feet.

I dont understand. The doors unlock from a MUCH further distance. Ideas? I totally LOVE the product...but it basiclly doesnt work because of the range.

Last, there is a spot near the buttons for opening the sunroof that can be paired to a garage door opener. Anyone know if we can hook that up to the scanner light instead? that would ROCK!
Try uncoiling the antenna. That will give you a little more range.

Not sure about your other question.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #125
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

I think someone tried linking the knightlight keyfob to their homelink buttons and it didn't work. I haven't tried it, but it's worth a shot to try. I would only link the power button if it were possible...

Old 07-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #126
Agent Iroquois

Drives: 1992 firebird convert
ahh i am getting more and more frustrated with this light. i mean it looks great but it basically doesnt work. i had to take the fuse out of it last night to get it to shut off! i already have the antenna uncoiled and no go.

sad face!!!
Agent Iroquois is offline   Reply With Quote