Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #43
sangerbanger58

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
this is sad to c:( prayers go out to the family
Old 04-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #44
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS

This ^

sad BUT wtf is one thinking driving at high speeds in a RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD...sounds fishy to me...
Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #45
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
I'll wait for the full story...this guy almost killed a family. I drive a SS and it hasn't come close to hitting a house. WTF was he doing that he hit a house? As a person with a one story home I find the idea of a car coming through my house terrifying.

Last edited by JoshBobGuptaMarley; 04-24-2012 at 02:21 AM.
JoshBobGuptaMarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #46
Thunderdome

Drives: gas-guzzling american muscle V8
no offense but I wish no one would make a comment about him needing to "save it for a track" and whatnot. The details have yet to be released so before a judgement call is made on this poor young man please just let him rest in peace. I was in a terrible accident when a guy ran a stop sign while i was on a major street in my fathers pick-up truck and I came out fine, but I had a shouting match with one of the fireman that came because he accused me of speeding (i had been going about 28 in the 35 because I had just turned from a different street and had been accelerating). Don't judge unless you know the facts. Plain and simple.
Thunderdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #47
Bijiont

Drives: '69 Camaro
Sad for the parents but at the same time the kid was a moron and literally "reaped what he sowed".

Having seen several of my friends die over the years due to speed has made me bitter on these topics. If your doing something which is clearly illegal and unsafe you should expect these results every time. Take your car to the track if you want to go fast, doing on the street will only get yourself or others killed and who really wants that on their conscience. . .

EDIT
Yes the whole story isn't known however honestly to not stop in the distance they show in the video it was clearly speed related. Racing, someone was chasing him, whatever the reason speed was a factor.
Bijiont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #48
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Times never change....back in the 70's when I was driving my 1st CORVETTE I saw time and time again under 25 killed or injured so often when they had so few hours of driving hours in a new car. Great young men who made a split minute decision and paid for it for ever. The stats do not lie. Just look at the age on the gravestones. I decided then to NEVER lend my car to a novice.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #49
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
That sucks, but it's not surpising. Seeing a Camaro in the side of a house would probably have surprised me more before I owned one and got to know it at its handling limits.

Camaros are difficult to control and there is no road feel compared to sports cars/rally cars. Snap-oversteer happens very quickly, and the 16.1:1 steering ratio makes it extremely difficult to react quickly enough to get it back into shape. The first time I got sideways in it I knew that most people should not ever do this, nor is StabiliTrak advanced enough to save you from anything but the most basic traction loss. It's especially noticeable when getting on the loud pedal in any gear below 4th doing anything but accelerating straight on a flat piece of pavement. I would say the SS has about 100 more horsepower than it should with the stock suspension, and the rear end is very dangerous because of how much it wiggles.

In my Evo I would get on the freeway sideways in 2nd gear like it was nothing (Evo VIII - no traction control). In my BMW 3-series I owned in Germany there was 180 degree turn I would take sidways on my way off base every time I drove away (until I got a reckless driving ticket from the MP's...but that's a different story). I have years of high-performance driving under my belt, including track days,auto-x events, many hours hauling ass through the winding mountain roads in the west hills of Portland...hell even timed runs over HWY 17 between Santa Cruz and San Jose at night when I was 16 years old back in the early 90's. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles, and have 0 accidents. Over the years various cars I've owned have been hit while parked 3 times, and 0 times while I was driving them, so they are technically safer in motion with me behind the wheel than standing still. And I can honestly say the Camaro is the most dangerous car I've owned.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #50
Bijiont

Drives: '69 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
That sucks, but it's not surpising. Seeing a Camaro in the side of a house would probably have surprised me more before I owned one and got to know it at its handling limits.

Camaros are difficult to control and there is no road feel compared to sports cars/rally cars. Snap-oversteer happens very quickly, and the 16.1:1 steering ratio makes it extremely difficult to react quickly enough to get it back into shape. The first time I got sideways in it I knew that most people should not ever do this, nor is StabiliTrak advanced enough to save you from anything but the most basic traction loss. It's especially noticeable when getting on the loud pedal in any gear below 4th doing anything but accelerating straight on a flat piece of pavement. I would say the SS has about 100 more horsepower than it should with the stock suspension, and the rear end is very dangerous because of how much it wiggles.

In my Evo I would get on the freeway sideways in 2nd gear like it was nothing (Evo VIII - no traction control). In my BMW 3-series I owned in Germany there was 180 degree turn I would take sidways on my way off base every time I drove away (until I got a reckless driving ticket from the MP's...but that's a different story). I have years of high-performance driving under my belt, including track days,auto-x events, many hours hauling ass through the winding mountain roads in the west hills of Portland...hell even timed runs over HWY 17 between Santa Cruz and San Jose at night when I was 16 years old back in the early 90's. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles, and have 0 accidents. Over the years various cars I've owned have been hit while parked 3 times, and 0 times while I was driving them, so they are technically safer in motion with me behind the wheel than standing still. And I can honestly say the Camaro is the most dangerous car I've owned.
Couldn't agree more, I have owned more the "ricer" market (Civic, Evo, STI, ect) and in terms of handling those were like a go-kart compared to my 2SS. Not blaming the car but in terms of handling Camaro's do require much more fineness and understanding of the vehicle. Even then first time I pitched my 2SS sideways on accident coming off I-96 a little fast I almost crapped myself.
Bijiont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #51
invaderzim

Drives: 45th SS, '12 ducati 1199 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Yeah, but I think a guy in a Camaro is going to be more tempted to speed than in a Camry.
no. a guy who likes to speed is going to do it no matter what he's driving. you really believe he was thinking "i hadn't really thought about speeding and if I was in a camry I wouldn't do it but since I'm in a camaro...." c'mon guys. give that a rest already..
invaderzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #52
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
The black box is called the Collision Data Recorder or Event Data Recorder. It's part of the air bag system and last time I looked the "box" is either under the center console or under the passenger seat.Data will be uploaded by police and the insurance companies.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #53
iHasCamaro

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
no. a guy who likes to speed is going to do it no matter what he's driving. you really believe he was thinking "i hadn't really thought about speeding and if I was in a camry I wouldn't do it but since I'm in a camaro...." c'mon guys. give that a rest already..
Some people constantly speed, tailgate, accelerate through yellow lights, etc. and drive the same way regardless of what they are driving. In that case a car with better braking and handling will be safer because they can avoid accidents better.

That's different than someone who gets in a car and decides that since it's powerful they should see exactly where the limits are. You think most people who buy a Camaro have never turned to their passenger and said, "watch this!". C'mon dude give it a rest lol.

Some people can drive. Others end up dead from driving through a house. Most somewhere in between.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #54
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
In that case a car with better braking and handling will be safer because they can avoid accidents better.
A car with 1/4th the HP and 1/2 the weight no doubt will brake and handle with less skill being required.

The DRIVER and the driver's actions determine how SAFE any vehicle is.

Stop demonizing this car.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #55
iHasCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBlack View Post
A car with 1/4th the HP and 1/2 the weight no doubt will brake and handle with less skill being required.

The DRIVER and the driver's actions determine how SAFE any vehicle is.

Stop demonizing this car.
Demonizing the car? In no way have I suggested or implied any demonic qualities associated with Camaros.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #56
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
:(

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote