Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Here is why you watch your dealer when they do an oil change

When I purchased my car I got a great deal on a synthetic oil package for 3 years, was hard to pass up.

Yesterday I went in for my 2nd dealer oil change. I dropped my car with the service advisor and told him what I wanted, my “no charge synthetic oil change”. He said ok, and I seen him write it up on the form.

Like the poster last week I like to watch what is being done to my car, I am not standing over it but I’m within the vicinity. Anyway everything seemed to be going well, the tech seemed to be doing a good clean, careful job until it came to the oil. I seen him pick up a box from the floor that said Pennzoil Platinum (which I thought was strange), but as he started to take the quarts out I noticed the containers were black (then I knew something was wrong). I screamed over to him and told him to stop that I wanted full synthetic. He looked back almost annoyed and said this is full synthetic and showed me the box from a far. I said no it’s not, it’s not even Pennzoil. I asked him to bring me the box and oil, well guess what, I was right. It was 6 quarts of the AC Delco synthetic blend, not Pennzoil. I told him that was not what I asked for and I wanted Mobil 1, he said he would go in the back and see what happened. Long story short he came out with a new box of Mobil 1 and completed my oil change. No harm done!

Now I am going to give the tech a bit of a break, I don’t “think” he was trying to lie to me or hide what was in the box, he was only putting in what was giving to him by the back room (Although he should have noticed it was not full synthetic). So somewhere between the service advisor and the "back room" there was a miscommunication. Unfortunately I did not have the time to stick around to see where the break down was but I’m glad I like to watch what’s being done to my car.

As a note, I do, do my own oil changes but use the dealer for every other one since I purchased the package. After yesterday I just may cancel the remainder of the package and get a refund.

Last edited by nyrfan; 04-24-2012 at 10:46 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
They know what they're doing more than you think. Last time I took my truck in to the dealer for a fuel/oil filter change they: did not reset oil OR fuel filter life, did not replace mileage sticker and did not add washer fluid. The service manger acted like it wasn't a big deal. I was like hell how do I know you even changed it? Tards.

And now I'm treated like a stalker because I want to watch.

Glad you caught it though.

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
I never let dealerships touch my car anymore, I have had too many horror stories happen.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
First oil cange on got on this car was from the dealer and they left a rag in the engine near the manifolds... Last time I will have them change my oil... Not a huge deal but still...
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
cagj 11 ss

Drives: 2011 ss/rs LS3
I have never been a fan of dealerships either, I live in a small town and have a good friend that runs a shop he takes good care of my cars, im sure its hard for people in big cities to find people who actualy care about the cars they work on
cagj 11 ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
I usually do mine for this reason. Sometimes I have brought in good oil or buy it but always worried that they are taking my good oil and putting in the a\c delco stuff.

Hard to trust anyone these days!

neuf cruz
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Sadly, it's a crap shoot anywhere you go to have work done. Until you can find someone you trust to do the work you need, it's always a gamble. I worked in dealerships for years. Some techs treat each car as their own, and some are just there to punch a clock.

I just had to have a front t/s bulb replaced on my new ride. I went to get one from the area parts store, but none of them carry a 3457NAK which is a Krypton-filled bulb. So, the dealer took care of it, but I was suspicious. Pulled out the new bulb and it was a 3457A, not a direct replacement. I wrote a nasty-gram to my salesperson and told him that if they can't put in the part that the car calls for, how could I ever trust them to get the oil, filter, or anything else right? Told him that if they break my trust, I'll never go back.

He has a bulb ordered for me, and I'll put it in myself.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
I like the Customer Service at my dealership, but they have no loyalty towards me, because I bought my car at a Dealership in another state.

But oil changes are sacred to me, personal time between me and my car on the weekend that I only want done by myself.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
Its important that you find a good place to take your car in your area that appreciates and understands that we as Camaro owners are fussy and passionate about our cars, in other words someone who is also "Car Kazy" they will understand how we feel about our cars. You have to work up a relationship with this shop. I take all 3 of our cars to the same place for service not just the Camaro and they know me by my first name and know how i expect things to be done, they appreciate my bussiness and they provide me with excellent car care, whenever i come in with any of our cars we talk about the Camaro they are "car guys" they get it!! And a tip does'nt hurt
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
I never let dealerships touch my car anymore, I have had too many horror stories happen.
No one works on my car from the Dealer.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
I make sure I generously tip the mechanic/supervisor so I can build loyalty.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe, MMR 228 Z28 replica wheels.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I like the Customer Service at my dealership, but they have no loyalty towards me, because I bought my car at a Dealership in another state.

But oil changes are sacred to me, personal time between me and my car on the weekend that I only want done by myself.
Neither of my 3 Chevys I own came from mine.

They better care about brand loyalty ie their jobs.

I've saved thousands by buying privately so they can all

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
I make sure I generously tip the mechanic/supervisor so I can build loyalty.
They are supposed to build loyalty WITH YOU. At least thats how we are trained here at my dealership. You should not have to "pay" them extra to be loyal to you. They should appreciate every customer that walks through the door
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
SWAT

Drives: 2011 2SS RS L99
Ever hear the saying "If you want it done right, gotta do it yourself".
SWAT is offline   Reply With Quote