Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #29
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoske View Post
wouldn't that defeat the point?

Anyway, in my opinion this type of Cheap HP is kinda dangerous. Everything that is connected to that pulley was designed to run with the factory pulley. You are no doubt going to lessen the life of everything connected to the belt because it has to run harder. I know modifications are made to the engine all the time that increase hp and make the engine run differently to get those gains; however, your engine has sensors everywhere to make it run differently to compensate for those changes so everything runs nice and dandy. Nothing connected to the belts, except for the engine of course, has any type of sensor to help it self adjust to the changes so you are inevitably going to shorten the parts life.

Just my opinion though...
+1 No pullies for my Camaro. My Mustang has a 3 underdrive pully system installed on it and while it made a noticeable difference, the car has eaten batteries ever since. I have to keep idle above 800 rpms if I'm stopped in traffic to keep the alternator from draining the battery. I was using Die Hard from Sears but after warranty returns over the years they finally got wize and stopped replacing. Had the alternator checked and everything else that could possibly cause it but everything was fine. The pulley on the alternator keeps burning out cells in the battery. I've switched to Excide and have been OK for quite a while now but I also trickle charge the battery once in a while too to keep it healthy. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #30
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
Interesting, why would you say there is no need for one. One of the few disadvantages of supercharging is the HP they consume from the crankshaft in order to drive them. I see this as a means to get back some of that HP lost to drive the supercharger by running the accessories a bit slower. Why would a FI want to run an oversized pulley? Maybe we might not want to under drive the water pump, but I cannot think of any other reason.
Thoughts anyone?
Minor typo, I meant overdrive pulley, not necessarily oversized.

Under certain applications an overdrive pulley will increase the boost of the supercharger, but most people just swap the supercharger pulley.

I think using overdrive pullies are pretty rare, I only personally know of one person who used one, and that was in an extreme N/A build of all things....

Anyway using a UDP with a F/I build is just wasted effort I think. If you underdrive the accessories, and change the pulley on the supercharger to maintain boost you theoretically would gain 5-10 rwhp as with most underdrives. But if you run a UDP without changing the supercharger pulley to compensate, you stand to lose power overall because you loose boost.

In my mind though, for the same or less effort you could only swap the pulley on the supercharger for boost and gain even more power than the UDPs could give you. Finally by the time you are adding over 130+ rwhp with F/I.... 5-10 rwhp becomes increasingly negligible.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Last edited by Rock36; 05-20-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #31
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
+1 No pullies for my Camaro. My Mustang has a 3 underdrive pully system installed on it and while it made a noticeable difference, the car has eaten batteries ever since. I have to keep idle above 800 rpms if I'm stopped in traffic to keep the alternator from draining the battery. I was using Die Hard from Sears but after warranty returns over the years they finally got wize and stopped replacing. Had the alternator checked and everything else that could possibly cause it but everything was fine. The pulley on the alternator keeps burning out cells in the battery. I've switched to Excide and have been OK for quite a while now but I also trickle charge the battery once in a while too to keep it healthy. Just my 2 cents.

That is what I meant by older cars. I'm assuming the UDPs were on your 91 5.0 mustang. Those are notorious for eating batteries as you say, I've heard that happening all the time with the Fox body stangs modded with UDPs.

However on my 2005, I've ran UDPs for the last 30,000 miles and 3 or so years and not once have I had a charging or idling issue. I think newer cars are just designed with more capacity, and I'm pretty sure the new Camaro SS will be the same way.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #32
Jon@Texas-Speed

Drives: 01 SS Camaro / 07 Silverado
Really there shouldn't be any issues at all with an underdrive crank pulley. Yes it slows the accessories down but at the point you see a voltage drop, (which is rare on these cars) you can put an overdrive alternator pulley on so you never see a loss in charge. Also, guys who install camshafts into the car shouldn't have an issue either. Typically with a camshaft you are raising the idle over the amount you are underdriving the alternator.

At the end of the day, guys have been throwing these pulleys on LS1's since the motor came out back in '97. I personally have never seen an issue that was the result of an underdrive pulley being on the car. If there was any chance that a mod would hurt the performance or integrity of the car itself, we would not offer it.

Jon
Jon@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #33
mannino88
Mannino

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS fully loaded.
do you have a link?
mannino88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #34
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannino88 View Post
do you have a link?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23573

There's a link on this forum. We'll have them on our website within a few days. We're just having to make some changes to the layout to add the new Camaro onto the vehicle listings. I hope to have it done by the weekend!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #35
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
Personally I trust the GM engineers have picked the right setup for reliability and durability. This is one of those mods that seems a little risky and may bring upon some unintended consequences. Besides I like my AC to work a top levels when it gets up to 110 degrees out here.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #36
96rss/ls6
Inferno is the only color

Drives: 96 ls6 camaro, iom 2ss/rss /
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Personally I trust the GM engineers have picked the right setup for reliability and durability. This is one of those mods that seems a little risky and may bring upon some unintended consequences. Besides I like my AC to work a top levels when it gets up to 110 degrees out here.

gm engineers have to balance mileage , performance, and emissions. some people here only care for one of those. But they do this balancing act usually by robbing hp. They dont always know best, just whats best legally.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #37
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Alright guys, we've got the website updated and a section for the 2010 Camaro added! We'll be adding all of the new parts we're producing to the site as they are available. The pully kits are already added!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #38
bowtieguy66

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNMechanic View Post
real muscle heads will do anything to get a little more power, that means turbos, front mount intercoolers, blowoff valves, fuel management computer, ect. The camaro already has an electric fan i think. A lightened fly wheel lowers rotational mass and so on. Calling anything that actually adds power "rice" is just plane stupid and ignorant. Some guys like N/A, some like S/C's and some like turbos. Are you going to call me a "ricer" because I have a light weight drive shaft??? "Rice" only comes into play with looks and fart cans, in my honest opinion. Many people have underdrive pulleys in many different types of vehicles, including trucks, they dont have any issues. So why call a legit power modifier (you aren't adding power w/ an underdrive pulley, just freeing the power thats already there) rice?
Nicely put, all my early muscle cars had March under drive pulleys on them and never had a problem. But i was not running big amps or air conditioning either (more power was the mindset).

If the GM engineers made the car the best that it could be made, there wouldn't be any reason to do any mods.

Last edited by bowtieguy66; 04-02-2011 at 05:00 PM.
bowtieguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #39
Grangee

Drives: Camaro red color bolt ons
its 3 pulley's? or just one?
Grangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #40
10SIL2SSLS3

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2SS LS3
Its one pulley,2 belts. Having TSP Underdrive pully kit installed this week.
10 Silver Ice LS3,Inferno Orange Int, Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers w/High flo-cats,Vararam,Vmax TB,160 T-Stat,Flowmaster AMT Cat-back,TSP Underdrive Pulley,Granatelli Wires,Hurst Short throw,Mike Norris Motorsports Tune,3.91 Gears/Built Diff by RPM Transmissions Anderson IN,SLP SS badging with rear black-out panel. 409.7 RWHP 461.0 RWTQ
10SIL2SSLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #41
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Had one on our 2000 Z28 when near stock. One of the few cheap mods I did that you actually felt and put over 30k miles on it with zero issues.
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #42
z28chuck
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS Camaro
Most modern S/C use 1hp or less to run...don't get the u/d pulley with the s/c
z28chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive, pulley, texas speed, ud pulley, under-drive, underdrive