Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #43
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdrum79 View Post
The car would be my daily driver as well as the main family hauler which is why I'm leaning towards something with 4 doors. I love the safety features the Jeep has and I've watched tons of review videos on the web. My biggest thing is that I always felt that the big engine Camaro's that we know know would still be around 15-20 years from now so I could get one later in life after I didn't need it to haul around the family. I fear that with the govt mandate to get cars mpg's up, that they won't be around in the same capacity, if at all. Car's aren't cheap, as we all know, so I want something with high HP now, since you never know when you won't have the means/or have the availablity to get something like this in future. I've obsessed over the new Camaro since the concept came out and it's always been something that I felt could come later.....retirement car ......but you know how it is when you want something but know it's probably not the smart thing to do.
Take it from some who has both...Family vehicle.... The jeep would be perfect....

Since you looking at putting out a lot of $$$$... Do your self a favor and go rent a jeep, drive it for a week, then go rent a Camaro and do the same.... ( don't worry about performance when doing this, as you probably can't rent a srt8 jeep or ZL1, only worry about versatility.... What works best ) then make your decision.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #44
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
You could always go this route...Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346616199.391203.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  62.1 KB

Didn't have it but 3 months though. Some lady is color blind and ran a red light. Hit her going 60 mph... Luckily the dog and I walk away without harm. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346616317.175526.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  74.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346616334.062954.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  90.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346616345.446767.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  75.9 KB

Totaled! 38k in damages! Only had 5000 miles in it.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #45
kmdrum79

Drives: 2018 Audi SQ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
You could always go this route...Attachment 418513

Didn't have it but 3 months though. Some lady is color blind and ran a red light. Hit her going 60 mph... Luckily the dog and I walk away without harm. Attachment 418514Attachment 418515Attachment 418516

Totaled! 38k in damages! Only had 5000 miles in it.
Wow, that sucks! Don't want anything that big though.

I actually have a 2012 Jeep GC Overland V8 HEMI 4x4 that I'll be trading in for this. That's why I like the SRT GC. The GC seems well built and love the fact that it feels like a luxury SUV on the inside with the stitched dash and all. Again, just looking to upgrade to something with muscle but feel like a car will handle better than the SRT GC, just because of the low profile.
kmdrum79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #46
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdrum79 View Post
Hey Hognutz....have you driven the 2012-2013 Charger SRT8? I wasn't sure if your opinion was off of the older Chargers (2010 - and earlier). I know it's not 100% fair to compare the new Charger to the ZL1 since the Camaro has so much more technology built into it.

Does the new Charger really handle like crap or does it handle well, just not on par to the ZL1? I also want my new car to handle great to but I know I can't have the best of both worlds sometimes. Just wanted to get as honest an opinion as possible.....with ultimately the real world test is the overnight test drive.
I think it handles ok but just not on par with a ZL1. Cars have gotten so good lately that skew's my perspective.

I my mind the SRT-8 charger is more a handling match for a SS or 5.0. proabably right in between them somewhere. not sure if you have driven thoughs. it is heavier so transitions affect it more but it is a pretty fast car so it moves in the strait sections.

great handling and practicality don't always line up though ha ha. When they do it never seem to be cheap. IE M5, CTS-V.

there are very nice car though I wish they would put a new tranny in them and just get the handling a little more feeling "connected" if they were like that I would have though about one alot longer. Really like the new interiors and LED tailights.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #47
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I think it handles ok but just not on par with a ZL1. Cars have gotten so good lately that skew's my perspective.

I my mind the SRT-8 charger is more a handling match for a SS or 5.0. proabably right in between them somewhere. not sure if you have driven thoughs. it is heavier so transitions affect it more but it is a pretty fast car so it moves in the strait sections.

great handling and practicality don't always line up though ha ha. When they do it never seem to be cheap. IE M5, CTS-V.

there are very nice car though I wish they would put a new tranny in them and just get the handling a little more feeling "connected" if they were like that I would have though about one alot longer. Really like the new interiors and LED tailights.
What he said. But a charger handles better than an SS. It is a fun car to throw around a track - doesnt have the understeer issues like the SS. I drove one around for a track day and came away impressed. It's not at anywhere near the level of the ZL1 but its still a fun, high performing drivers car and personally I like the styling..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #48
ZL-Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Is this really a question? Jeep's & Camaro's are completely different vehicles for different purposes. Depends if you want a sporty fast car, or family oriented not so sporty fast SUV. For me personally it would be ZL1 hands down, and I'd even go with a GT500 before one of the SUV's. But it's all to one's personal tastes.
ZL-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote