Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Red 2010 Camaro

Drives: Red 2010 Camaro
Smile Brake Pad Install Question ?

I own a 2010 1 LT Camaro that I will soon be installing 4 piston Brembo SS brakes on, and have a few questions regarding the install.

Question # 1 is, Do you need to re- use the thin shims behind the pad backing plates, that were used in the build process of the car.

Question # 2 is, Do you need to coat the back of the brake pad backing plates with copper grease or a similar high temp grease for lubrication?

Question # 3 is, Do you need to purchase NEW bolts that are used to mount the calipers to the steering knuckles, and what are the correct factory torque settings for the front and back axles in ft. lbs.

Any help with these questions regarding the brake install, would be greatly appreciated, as well as any other info. that I might need to know for the installation.

All The Best,

Red 2010 Camaro
Red 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2010 Camaro View Post
I own a 2010 1 LT Camaro that I will soon be installing 4 piston Brembo SS brakes on, and have a few questions regarding the install.

Question # 1 is, Do you need to re- use the thin shims behind the pad backing plates, that were used in the build process of the car.

Replacement pads should come with them if needed. If the replacement pad did not come with them, they are most likely built in and the stock ones are not needed

Question # 2 is, Do you need to coat the back of the brake pad backing plates with copper grease or a similar high temp grease for lubrication?

Yes, and again; most pads will come with some sort of grease

Question # 3 is, Do you need to purchase NEW bolts that are used to mount the calipers to the steering knuckles, and what are the correct factory torque settings for the front and back axles in ft. lbs.

Yes and here are the torque specs:
Note: with TTY (torque to yield) bolts, you will torques to spec, then give them an additional rotation of 90* (or otherwise stated)

Any help with these questions regarding the brake install, would be greatly appreciated, as well as any other info. that I might need to know for the installation.

All The Best,

Red 2010 Camaro
My answers are above in BOLD. Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Red 2010 Camaro

Red face Thanks Tyler For The Info.

Tyler,

Thank You SO MUCH for the info. regarding the SS Brembo brake install on my 2010 1LT Camaro.

It is SO refreshing to know that there are people like you and JDP Motorsports in the performance parts industry, that are willing to take the time to help us Camaro owners build the cars of our dreams!

I can assure you, that you will be the FIRST person I call to finish my Camaro!

All The Best,

Red 2010 Camaro
Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2010 Camaro View Post

All The Best,

Red 2010 Camaro
I'm a little confused by question #1. Are the SS Brembos and pads new or used? If they are new I agree with Tyler, if used I would re-use the shims. The other 2 questions are yes and yes as Tyler said. The bolts are one time use only. After torqueing, the bolt is actually stretched by turning it another 90 degrees.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Red 2010 Camaro

SS Brembo brakes on my 2010 1LT Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I'm a little confused by question #1. Are the SS Brembos and pads new or used? If they are new I agree with Tyler, if used I would re-use the shims. The other 2 questions are yes and yes as Tyler said. The bolts are one time use only. After torqueing, the bolt is actually stretched by turning it another 90 degrees.
The front Brembo calipers are OEM brand new and did not come with pads or pin kits. I still need to purchase the pads for the front calipers.

The rear calipers I purchased on ebay, and came from a 2013 1LE Camaro SS that had less than 20 mi. on it. The owner drove the car home after taking delivery, removed all of the brakes, and upgraded to ZL1 6 piston brakes! Only the rear calipers were available at the time I found them on ebay.

The 1LE rear calipers are complete with pads and are ready to install as soon as I get the SS rotors. Also, thank you for your help as well. What would be your suggestion for the SS rotors? Yes I do need to paint the front calipers red to match the 1LE rears.

All The Best,

Red 2010 Camaro
Old 01-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Stock SS rotors will do just fine, unless you want cool looking slotted/drilled then there's plenty of vendors offering those. I had a set of Stillen slotted/drilled but went back to stock because of road course use. The entry level slotted/drilled rotors may crack and fail under track usage. So, depends on what your looking to do. Road course/autoX/street use stock rotors, for street/show get slotted drilled for the looks.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote