Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
IRON X

Perhaps this is over kill as I have clayed my car when it arrived a few months ago.
I am in the process of detailing my Z for winter storage and want to decontaminate it thoroughly.
Has anyone here used Iron-x successfully? Recommendations please and if possible your process for use, application, and removal.

Regards to All
Charlie
Old 10-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I have it, but I haven't got to using it :/ I still don't know what Ironx would be able to do that clay isn't able to do...

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
charlietuna

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY
Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Send a pm to CamaroDreams07. He's used it before

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
charlietuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I hope he takes a look at this he has been instrumental in my quest for the perfect detail technique.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I have it, but I haven't got to using it :/ I still don't know what Ironx would be able to do that clay isn't able to do...
If you had used it, you would definitely see what it does. Very worthwhile product

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Did somebody call..?

yes, I have used this product many times, and I really like it. It's a step I use after claying and before polishing. So, basically what it does is it reacts with iron contaminants, and pulls them out of the paint (it's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist). You don't want ferrous substances inside your paint, rusting and corroding the paint from the inside.

What happens is that this stuff turns purple as it reacts with iron. You can actually see it working. How much or how little depends on a lot of things: how new the car is, what it's been exposed to, how well it's been taken care of, etc etc.

Here are a few pics of Iron X at work on a 2009 Lincoln MKX that the customer has kept in a garage the whole time they've owned it. Keep in mind, this is after I had washed and clayed the whole car:

Name:  IMG_0531_640x480.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0459_640x480.JPG
Views: 415
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0461_640x480.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0462_640x480.JPG
Views: 398
Size:  79.3 KB

That's pretty dramatic for what was a 3 year old, garage-kept car that was already in very nice condition.

The basic process is pretty simple. First and foremost: WORK IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. This stuff smells like two week old death in the Arizona sun, you don't want it getting on anything. WEAR NITRILE GLOVES. OK, so then, you've clayed the car and removed all the residue, now get a bucket of clean water, a detailing sponge, and your Iron X. Working a section at a time, mist Iron X on the panel and rub it in with a damp sponge. Allow it to dwell a few minutes, but don't let it dry. You'll see the change as it changes color. Rinse very thoroughly. This stuff is no-nonsense and you don't want to leave any of it on the paint.

Rinse out the sponge between panels. Let it be noted that some people like to use Iron X before clay on cars that are in really rough shape. My personal take is to use it after clay, because the claying action actually can expose more iron.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Good_Times

Drives: red
I have been using Iron-X since it came out. There is a reason to both clay and use a decon product same as ironx or wolf's decon . Clay or a prep towel remove above surface contaminates. Iron-x will attack and remove iron contaminates no matter how deep they intrude into the surface. This product works great on break dust and metal industrial fallout. You may have seen a white vehicle that has tiny spots on the surface they won't wash or clay off and are rusty in color. This is sometimes noted as rail dust or industrial fallout and ironx will quickly remove this contaminate. I have seen pictures of light colored cars that appeared to be clean until coated with ironx and you would have thought the car had a purple breakout of the measles . So a decon product is a must IMO to properly keep up the appearance of any car.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
charlietuna

thanks I will now break out the credit card........ again....... this time the shipments comming to my office not the house. I can't take anymore greif from my bride she is already refering to my ZL1 as "the other woman"
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
If you had used it, you would definitely see what it does. Very worthwhile product
Guess that means I'll have to give it a try. How much do you end up using? I have the 500 mL bottle I think.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Guess that means I'll have to give it a try. How much do you end up using? I have the 500 mL bottle I think.
Not a lot. I'd say you can do at least 3 cars with a bottle.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Not a lot. I'd say you can do at least 3 cars with a bottle.
I read the instructions on the bottle and it's actually quite bad. Do you mix it in water in a bucket and then put the sponge in their and then on paint? Or does it go straight onto the sponge to the paint?

I also just realized that whatever iron contamination I have is under Opticoat, so there's no real way to get to it now. I guess I'll just try it on my girlfriend's car. Lately, her car is becoming the guinea pig. It has like 3 different sealants on it now lmao!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
I read the instructions on the bottle and it's actually quite bad. Do you mix it in water in a bucket and then put the sponge in their and then on paint? Or does it go straight onto the sponge to the paint?

I also just realized that whatever iron contamination I have is under Opticoat, so there's no real way to get to it now. I guess I'll just try it on my girlfriend's car. Lately, her car is becoming the guinea pig. It has like 3 different sealants on it now lmao!
Just spray it on. I usually don't bother drying the paint first, so I guess it's somewhat diluted by the water on the paint.

Spray the iron X onto the car directly. Then get the sponge damp with water and rub in the IronX
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Just spray it on. I usually don't bother drying the paint first, so I guess it's somewhat diluted by the water on the paint.

Spray the iron X onto the car directly. Then get the sponge damp with water and rub in the IronX
Gotcha. You'd think they'd have better instructions, but I guess if it works, that's all you can ask for lol

Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
i have used it recently and it works great. you can feel the smoothness of the paint before you even clay it. i recommenced it for sure