Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Z28 Competitor

Read it and weep. In a very elite field the Boss came in 5th.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p..._boss_302.html

Whatever you think of Motor Trend, I do not think you can accuse MT of favoritism here. The Boss finished ahead of the Z06/7 (!!) and other highly regarded cars. Here if the Z28 were out and matched the Boss, the Z28 would finish ahead of the Z06 as a drivers car. But no way would the Camaro finish this high due to visibility and weird interior issues.

But even if the Z28 finishes dead last in a test like this, we will still love it. Right?

I hope the high bar the boss sets does not scare Chevy out of building the Z28.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
In the real world a Z06/Z07 would destroy a Boss. But you're right, if the Z28 handled and accelerated just as well as the Boss it would finish dead last.

The fact that they rate the SLS, LFA and R8 behind the Cayman says enough about that test.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
If they would just quit making them so friggin' ugly, they'd probably have something there. It's like one of those blind date set-ups when you hear "but so-and-so has a great personality".....you know what's coming. You can enjoy their company all night, but you just couldn't look at so-and-so for very long. Same here.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Mr.Maro23

Drives: 2010 2lt chevy camaro
lol
Mr.Maro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maro23 View Post
lol
lol +1
Old 10-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
If they would just quit making them so friggin' ugly, they'd probably have something there. It's like one of those blind date set-ups when you hear "but so-and-so has a great personality".....you know what's coming. You can enjoy their company all night, but you just couldn't look at so-and-so for very long. Same here.

Other than the colors and being over striped............hummmmm!
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
believe half of what you read. they are biased.

visibility issues, weird interior? all opinion based.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
If only the Porsche wore the cups they would never had mentioned it.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Read it and weep. In a very elite field the Boss came in 5th.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p..._boss_302.html

Whatever you think of Motor Trend, I do not think you can accuse MT of favoritism here. The Boss finished ahead of the Z06/7 (!!) and other highly regarded cars. Here if the Z28 were out and matched the Boss, the Z28 would finish ahead of the Z06 as a drivers car. But no way would the Camaro finish this high due to visibility and weird interior issues.

But even if the Z28 finishes dead last in a test like this, we will still love it. Right?

Can't accuse them of favouritism? Its a subjective test. They based it around what 'felt' right, not what was faster. It doesn't get any easier for personal bias to dictate the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
In the real world a Z06/Z07 would destroy a Boss. But you're right, if the Z28 handled and accelerated just as well as the Boss it would finish dead last.

The fact that they rate the SLS, LFA and R8 behind the Cayman says enough about that test.
It did destroy the Boss, beating it by around 7 seconds. But it wasn't a fastest lap competition, it was 'best drivers car', which factors in how easy/fun/rewarding a car is to drive. How fast it is doesn't figure into the equation very much. Their problem with the Z06, as always, was the seats. They also faulted it for being equipped with tires that are 1 step away from being racing slicks. I disagree with that, because I would think that the ultimate drivers car be one step away from a race car, right?

Oh well.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
For the most part - only the numbers matter to me. There are exceptions. This test is one of those that I could really care less about.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Can't accuse them of favouritism? Its a subjective test. They based it around what 'felt' right, not what was faster. It doesn't get any easier for personal bias to dictate the results.
Oh well.
Sure it was subjective. That was the nature of the test. But the Mustang was up against some usually well reviewed cars. You could not base the true place of the Boss in the high performance spectrum from just one test. But so many tests have given the Boss rave reviews. I do not think the high rating was due to a Ford bias.

I suspect the Bosses handling is close to spot on. It looks like the ZL1 will clearly dust the Boss on the track. But can it match the Bosses handling feel? This is where most of the fun is.

I hope the Z28 is as good as the Boss. The current SS is a good handler at the track, even stock. But it is hard to tell from driving it.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Wasn't the Boss developed on this track
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
If you own a Chevy product as listed under your avatar, why do you slam Chevy and a possible Z-28 product so much in your posts? Why all the condescending tone and negativitiy? That doesn't make any sense...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Who gives a flying f*ck about Ford.... Seriously... shove the ford sh*t including motortrend where the sun dont shine.. This is a freaking Chevy Camaro board I dont give a rats ass what Mustang does
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote