Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
2 quick questions

1 has anyone had any issues on installing the melieng oil pumps getting the o ring to seat and

2 im looking at the gm performance valve covers for my car but they dont have the oil fill neck in them whats the deal and what is the fix or solution

all info will be greatly appreciated
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Are you installing the pump with the motor in or out of the car?
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
oil pump changed when engine was out of car and no issues. I do not think you can change the oil pump with the engine in the car.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
You can change it in the car, but you have to strip the motor all the way down. So just pull it, save yourself soo much effort. And can you post a link to the valve covers?

I have heard of people having issues with the o ring, but just look carefully, you can tell when it seats straight
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
1sikRS

I'm doin a JRE 470 cam swap and wanted to change the oil pump and put in a cloyes timing chain upgrade dampener and tensioner to the ls2 style so I Still have to pull the motor or will pulling the bumper and radiator be ok ill get a link off summits website
Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Changing the oil pump in the car is pretty easy to do, much easier than removing the engine then stripping the engine down to change it.
robertway did an awesome DIY on a cam swap, which includes pulling the oil pump, check it out here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123

As for the valve covers, just use a funnel with oil changes, makes it easier to make a mess, but worth the better looks of the valve covers. We've been using the Holley valve covers, which integrate the coils on the valve covers; they are the same without a fill neck, so kind of a pain but the looks and cleanliness are worth it

- Jeremy

JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
1sikRS

what about these covers??? i want the black finish with the aluminum finished lettering and bowtie.would my coils mount to this??? or would i need a relocation kit i like the look of the coils where they are. figure while i got em off mite as well change em figured these would look good with the painted fast lsx intake im using

thank u everyone for ur input i really appreciate this
Old 01-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
if they have letters on them then you will need a relocation kit. never seen one with threaded mounts and letters.

to JDP tech
what is the bottle next to your throttle body?
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
1sikRS

Where's does it relocate them too
Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
if they have letters on them then you will need a relocation kit. never seen one with threaded mounts and letters.

to JDP tech
what is the bottle next to your throttle body?
Thats actually not my car, thats a GTO's engine bay, and I believe thats the power steering reservoir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikRS View Post
what about these covers??? i want the black finish with the aluminum finished lettering and bowtie.would my coils mount to this??? or would i need a relocation kit i like the look of the coils where they are. figure while i got em off mite as well change em figured these would look good with the painted fast lsx intake im using

thank u everyone for ur input i really appreciate this
Yeah, those valve covers will not mount your coils, so they will have to be relocated. There are a few styles out there for relocating, and I don't like any of them, which is why I went with the Holley covers.
The only kit I am ok with is the Katech relocation kit, but they require custom valve covers, and hide them to some degree:

All other coil relocation kits seem to put the coils in heats path, or require ridiculously long spark plug wires.

- Jeremy
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote