Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #57
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey8 View Post
''

That's a CAI intake. He is showing the Reservoir they are working on.
Yes, I can read but I can also see. Amazing! Same eyes can do both. Just an observation my friend. And I was curious as to why, sense there are many post about the box heating up the air inside the box from transfered heat from the engine compartment.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #58
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
Yes, I can read but I can also see. Amazing! Same eyes can do both. Just an observation my friend. And I was curious as to why, sense there are many post about the box heating up the air inside the box from transfered heat from the engine compartment.
For those truely interested. Jim W is a very sharp guy, I've dealt with him several times over tha past few years.
http://www.easyperformance.com/Tech_...r_Airflow.html

Still trying to find that graphic of air flow within a tube. Edit. This isn't the one I was looking for, but notice the comments on the made on the example on the left, and in particular the flow difference between the middle and outer edges.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 01-21-2011 at 10:15 AM.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #59
electlatino

Drives: 2SS with RS and Ground Effects
i have a question, mainly for roto-fab:

i noticed on your website that there are many options for your CAI

with the tube type, is there any performance difference between the options or is it simply a "whichever one looks best to you" choice?

also, with the tube type, is there any weight difference between the choices?

lastly, with the filter type, is there any benefit to choosing oil or dry? or is it simply a choice in how you prefer to clean it?

by the way, i love the fact that you offer the choice to color match with our camaros!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #60
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by electlatino View Post

with the tube type, is there any performance difference between the options or is it simply a "whichever one looks best to you" choice?

lastly, with the filter type, is there any benefit to choosing oil or dry? or is it simply a choice in how you prefer to clean it?

by the way, i love the fact that you offer the choice to color match with our camaros!!
Me too!

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #61
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFTW View Post
How is that "independent testing"? An independent tester does not sell any of the parts they test. Independent testers are a 3rd party hired by manufacturer's to do the testing and then publish it. They charge a fee to do this and don't sell any of the parts they test. I would question any of the numbers posted. There are a lot of sheep in this forum for sure and so make sure you do your research.
You see you have it all Wrong, We Don't manufacture anything, Therefore we have NO Financial gain by choosing one over another since we sell them all.

I make the same percentage mark up on every air intake system we sell.

I did these tests, on my own Dime, on my own time and on my own equipment, to Get the Answers that everyone asks EVERY SINGLE DAY.

We even had a live feed in to the dyno room during testing, I have all the Dyno data and HPtuners Logging Data stored on my server to refer to at any time.

When someone is Paid to Test Something then there is Financial Gain that can Skew the numbers in favor of who pays the most for testing.

We provided the FREE technical information, what you do with it is up to you.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #62
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You see you have it all Wrong, We Don't manufacture anything, Therefore we have NO Financial gain by choosing one over another since we sell them all.

I make the same percentage mark up on every air intake system we sell.

I did these tests, on my own Dime, on my own time and on my own equipment, to Get the Answers that everyone asks EVERY SINGLE DAY.

We even had a live feed in to the dyno room during testing, I have all the Dyno data and HPtuners Logging Data stored on my server to refer to at any time.

When someone is Paid to Test Something then there is Financial Gain that can Skew the numbers in favor of who pays the most for testing.

We provided the FREE technical information, what you do with it is up to you.

Ted.
Ted is exactly right here. How do you skew numbers that are achieved on a live cam with an audience watching. Not to mention the fact that no one paid him to do the testing (that is exactly where numbers are going to get manipulated at). Whether we came in first or last on that test we would of had confidence that the testing was done accurately. Ted and his crew know there stuff and did an EXCELLENT job not only for those companies that he tested but even more so for the consumer. Thats my 2 cents.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #63
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by electlatino View Post

In respect to tube type, there is a slight difference in performance, but not enough to consider it a factor when choosing. The carbon fiber finish tube is actually our plastic tube with the finish applied; therefore, it will perform exactly the same as our standard plastic version.
Our polished stainless steel tube shares the same radius and length of our plastic tube, but maintains a constant ID whereas our plastic tube has a slight taper throughout it's length. The stainless tube is significantly heavier than the plastic tube. If it is a factor for you, I can check the actual weights.
The stainless tube is a $150 option, so cost does come into play. We choose stainless over aluminum because thermal conductivity is many times lower than aluminum which results in less heat transferred in the air stream. Also, polished stainless steel and chrome look nearly identical. This is important as many of the customers that prefer the chrome look will add more chrome under the hood. Polished aluminum is harder to maintain and has a noticably different look.
Dry filter vs. oil filter-
The oil filter is our standard filter. It will flow better and make more power as compared to the dry version. It is less $ and many people are familiar and comfortable with maintaining oil filters.
The dry filter is primarily chosen by those concerned with oil contaminating their MAF sensor. The dry filter is easy to maintain in that it can be cleaned with a shop vac. If it needs washed, this can be done with household cleaners. Some choose the dry filter simply because they like the off-white color. The dry filter is a $12 option. FYI, our Middle East customers say our dry filter is preferred because they can pull it out and knock against a hard surface to remove most dirt build up whereas the oil filter attracts this dirt and clogs quickly. I don't know anyone that hauls butt down dirt roads with their fifth gen Camaro, but if you do go with the dry filter!
We are always glad to hear you guys say you appreciate the variety we offer. Not only does it give you the option to choose the color or finish you like, it also makes the shop a little more colorful.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #64
Jay23

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th, 2007 VRSCDX
Quote:
How is that "independent testing"? An independent tester does not sell any of the parts they test. Independent testers are a 3rd party hired by manufacturer's to do the testing and then publish it. They charge a fee to do this and don't sell any of the parts they test. I would question any of the numbers posted. There are a lot of sheep in this forum for sure and so make sure you do your research.
Jay23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #65
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
I certainly agree with doing your own research and making a judgment based on the input of many different sources. Ted's test took alot of effort and should be taken in to account. However, many individuals and shops have also put forth effort in seeking out true HP numbers and deciding which intake is the most effective. Just like any other purchase, I think the wise consumer will make a decision based on all of the information available.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #66
GingerCam

Drives: 2014 RED HOT 2SS/RS Camaro
Anybody know what the vararams cost?
GingerCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #67
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoolsey View Post
I am trying to decide which cai to buy. I want to know which one will give me the most horsepower. Cost is not a factor. I have a 2011 camaro ss 6-speed manual
The best intake is one you buy from us. In all seriousness...I could give you 10 Camaro's with 10 different intakes..and asking you to rank the ones that performed best, to the ones that performed worse. The results would still not match what all the dyno test say. People sweat over 3 and 4 HP differences, and the margin of error on a dyno is higher than that.

It's like shoes..pick the price, and style that fits your needs best.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 AM   #68
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCam View Post
Anybody know what the vararams cost?
Check the for sale section..me and other vendors have them on sale. Thanks!
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:36 AM   #69
TooManySS's

Drives: Jedi Mind Trick
Oh boy, a tornado in a tube makes for more air etc!!

Editing, Hollywood edits films to make changes all the time in a video/film.
Then pretty pictures can be altered too!

Lets see how many CAI threads do we have and the amount of different makes?
All claiming to have a advantage over the competition with different gimmicks being used. This ones the best, no this one is the best. Look at my pic installed, no look at mine its better.

And people laugh at Rice forums!!!
CAI kits, loud annoying exhausts that might add 2 H.P., decals, stickers etc oh my!!!

The new American Rice.

If your gonna by one of these things, just buy the pretty one for looks for judging at car shows etc. stop claiming your car is sooo much faster now.
TooManySS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #70
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManySS's View Post
Oh boy, a tornado in a tube makes for more air etc!!

Editing, Hollywood edits films to make changes all the time in a video/film.
Then pretty pictures can be altered too!

Lets see how many CAI threads do we have and the amount of different makes?
All claiming to have a advantage over the competition with different gimmicks being used. This ones the best, no this one is the best. Look at my pic installed, no look at mine its better.

And people laugh at Rice forums!!!
CAI kits, loud annoying exhausts that might add 2 H.P., decals, stickers etc oh my!!!

The new American Rice.

If your gonna by one of these things, just buy the pretty one for looks for judging at car shows etc. stop claiming your car is sooo much faster now.
Dude your ranting. This post is old.

And continuing to rant below is just making this more awkward....

Last edited by JoshBobGuptaMarley; 10-28-2011 at 08:16 AM.
JoshBobGuptaMarley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, cold air intake