Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #57
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouEnvyMySS View Post
"The Camaro out of the box is a very good vehicle. For some who see the 5th Gen as a possible super car ther is much more that can be pulled out of a ZETA II chassis. With your optional 21" wheels my first mod would be radius rod bush inserts to reduce the kick back in the steering wheel over sharp bumps. TYou have your choice of two inserts that with minimal effort and funding will make a significant difference."

GREAT reply!! Makes perfect sense... I could see you adding two new SKUs to the inventory for quick/easy ordering: one for the first set of bushings described; and one for both sets...

Tks again (and sorry for not quoting all of post #37! got to be too hard to do on iPhone)
I am sorry for the typos, but I was doing that post on a phone too.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #58
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
After GM announces them!!

One already has been announced buyt I still cannot dfiscuss all that I know.
Sorry
mike
dms
Is the already announced one the Caprice PPV?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #59
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
Is the already announced one the Caprice PPV?
Are you a fisherman? and more importantly, a good one? LOL

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #60
Sean@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro X5 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The key words are best performance.

The track on a stock Camaro along with the staggered tire and wheel package will always produce heavy understeer. It is built into the package and cannot be tuned out without altering the track. You can certainly make it better with suspension tweaks, but the core issue is the track, wheel and tire package.

It is important to keep in mind that the OEM Camaro is a great car. I am talking about taking it to the next level. Most people will not run my tire and wheel package for many reasons. That doesn't make our selection wrong.

Our wheel and tire package increased the front track by 2" and the rear track by 1/2" for a net front track increase of 1.5". That is a huge benefit and gain. We did not want to increase unsprung weight with the tires and wheels. Moving up to a 305 / 30 / 20 would have increased the weight as it is such a huge increase in tire. Add to that we run 10.5" rims all around and even the lightest wheel would have offered minimal weight reduction. Using a 19" wheel we dropped almost 40 pounds of unsprung weight or roughly 10 pounds per wheel. That is huge from a handling perspective.

Now consider the brakes. 10 pounds spinning at 100 MPH takes a significant amount of braking power to stop. Remove 10 pounds and your brakes just improved -- a lot.

Next is the rear end effective gear change from a 3.45 to a 377 via the wheel and tire change. The car pulls like a truck and keeps right on pulling through 175MPH. That is as fast as we have taken it and it showed no signs of breathing hard.

I could continue to write a book on this, but this should be sufficient to help people understand why I refer to the OEM wheel and tire package as SUV or truck style. I do not say this to be offensive. It is just my opinion and opinions are like XXXholes. Everyone has one. We have several clients with Xa coilovers and 22" rims. The cars look great. I really mean that -- they are bad aXX. Our clients are very pleased with the way their cars perform and handle and I would have to say they are right. Would that be my choice for the best performance no, but best performance is not the ultimate goal for everyone.

I think you misunderstood me as you seem to be defending yourself. My question was "what wheel size do you recommend", not "why did you say the camaro has SUV wheels, dude"

So, my point being, for best performance, what wheel size do you recommend on the Camaro, lol.

I believe you stated 19" x 10.5" on all four... Sounds good. What tire size? And does your wheel package increase the front track by wheel width, different offset, or both?

If you get a net increase if 1.5" front track with your wheels... what is the stock difference in track with the stock wheels? As in how close were you able to get it to zero, to fix the heavy understeer issues...
Sean@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #61
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@Phastek View Post
I think you misunderstood me as you seem to be defending yourself. My question was "what wheel size do you recommend", not "why did you say the camaro has SUV wheels, dude"

So, my point being, for best performance, what wheel size do you recommend on the Camaro, lol.

I believe you stated 19" x 10.5" on all four... Sounds good. What tire size? And does your wheel package increase the front track by wheel width, different offset, or both?

If you get a net increase if 1.5" front track with your wheels... what is the stock difference in track with the stock wheels? As in how close were you able to get it to zero, to fix the heavy understeer issues...
I believe all your answers to your questions are in fact on definitive essay, with the exception of the wheel offsets. This is the reason we have spent a serious amount of hours to assist all of you and have broken down the pages with a really easy to use outline. So check it out and tell us what you think.

thanks
mike
dms
Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #62
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Hey Guys! My car is featured this morning on the Homepage.

Thanks Rob from Wretched Motorsports!
Thanks Mike and Pete From Pedders!
Thanks Tim from Lingenfelter!
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #63
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@Phastek View Post

Everyone's car will be setup differently. For best performance, the Lightest, widest wheel/tire combo that fits your car with the best performance tire that you can afford.

Your question is a loaded question. 18's would have the best performance, but they are going to look stupid with low profile tires and the huge wheel well.

The BEST rim would be a Carbon Fiber rim that weighs 17-18 pounds. They cost about $3000.00 a piece. you can get them built to your spec's.
Too expensive for me, though.

Pete balanced all aspects of unsprung weight, tires that are available, looks, and dimensions, and chose what HE thought was the best combo for his car. Like I said, Everyone's car will be setup differently.

I am going to follow Pete's tire choice. Bridgestone RE-11 in 305/35/19 size. I will have the same rim width (10.5 inches) and height (19") but probably a different rim style.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #64
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
I believe all your answers to your questions are in fact on definitive essay, with the exception of the wheel offsets. This is the reason we have spent a serious amount of hours to assist all of you and have broken down the pages with a really easy to use outline. So check it out and tell us what you think.

thanks
mike
dms
You might consider a 'XX questions' customer work sheet... Example:

1. What tire/wheel will you be using
a. stock
b. 21" or larger
c. 19" or smaller
[Then an explanation of benefits and drawbacks of each]

2. Engine mod's over 500 hp? Y / N

3. Is the car your daily driver? Y / N

4. How do you drive your car?
a. no racing
b. minimal drag racing
c. considerable drag racing
d. minimal autocross
etc, etc.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #65
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post

a. stock
b. 21" or larger
c. 19" or smaller

a. no racing
b. minimal drag racing
d. minimal autocross
etc, etc.
Mike,

Your thoughts?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #66
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post

a. stock
b. 21" or larger
c. 19" or smaller

a. no racing
b. minimal drag racing
d. minimal autocross
etc, etc.

This is really interesting,

I have a postit that I use for myself that is nearly identical to this! Usually within 1 or 2 minutes on the phone, I have all this data. I do it so much, it is not instinctual. Great idea.

thanks so much

mike
dms
Old 10-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #67
Info@PeddersUSA.com

I have started the work with Forgeline yesterday and this morning. We will be able to have these exact wheels and tires available for retail, or other appropriate Forgeline wheels custom made to the exact spects Pete's are. 1 or 2 of our dealers that will be able to service your needs for these units. We need to give them some time to set up their relationships and marketing. We have 2 sets I bleive already sold or at least in the process of ordering them. We will not be giving out the offset data for the wheels. But if you are interested, in this style of setup, you can ocontact me, and I will forward it to our guys. Now please keep in mind, the ball just really started to role this morning!

thanks
mike
dms
Old 10-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #68
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Why won't you give offset data? I could understand this if you were a wheel manufacturer or were selling the wheels yourself...am I missing something?
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #69
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Why won't you give offset data? I could understand this if you were a wheel manufacturer or were selling the wheels yourself...am I missing something?
Pedders had an NDA (Non Disclosure agreement) with Forgeline.

You need to contact Forgeline. I already had this conversation with Mike over the Phone. Pedders is not allowed to give it out. It needs to come from Forgeline. Mike and Pete are just playing by the Rules.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #70
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
Pedders had an NDA (Non Disclosure agreement) with Forgeline.

You need to contact Forgeline. I already had this conversation with Mike over the Phone. Pedders is not allowed to give it out. It needs to come from Forgeline. Mike and Pete are just playing by the Rules.
ah...ok...makes sense that Forgeline would hold onto the data.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote