Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Lol_epa

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss
6l80e rebuild options

Well on the drive back home I decided to take the wife on a nice twisty road and when I got home (about an hour after the twisty) I went to pull into the drive way and it acted funny. So drove around the block and 2-3 seems to be slipping and the same with reverse. I got bummed out as race night is Friday and we only get 5 a year so I didn’t bother touching it till tomorrow.

My question is how difficult is a trans rebuild diy? I’ve built engines but never played with a trans rebuild. Was going to order the rebuild manual off amazon to assist in it but figured I’d ask if it’s better to drop it off at a shop or not lol.

Also where’s a good kit or what parts are needed to handle 750rwhp my car isn’t anywhere near that but I want to room to grow if I want. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol_epa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
I'm about to rebuild my transmission for the first time ever next week, but going through the manual it doesn't seem too bad. You will need some special tools, like a giant snap ring remover ($150 when I bought mine) to remove the center section (2-6 and low/rev clutch housing) and the output shaft / rear planetary.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
This is the tool
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I'd bet it is your drum and sprag. Rebuilding is messy but doable. Have a large work bench to lay out the parts in order as they are removed to match up to the new parts.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
Lol_epa

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
I'd bet it is your drum and sprag. Rebuilding is messy but doable. Have a large work bench to lay out the parts in order as they are removed to match up to the new parts.

I drove it today and all seems fine so I don’t know what it’s deal was. Still going to prepare for a trans rebuild. She will see the track tomorrow if all seems good on the slicks on the way to the track if not then it will be parked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol_epa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Roader

Drives: Camaro
I had Futral down in Louisiana do mine and when Justin was there he had a 700+ rwhp g8 on nitrous that his was holding up. Had them do same thing and if you want to make that power and have a reliable 6l80 you need to upgrade a few parts and be ready to weld. The other part is get a good tuner who knows how to really tune them.
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote