Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Quicksilver-SS

Drives: 2014 1SS / RS M6
Wanting input on axle back..

I've been searching youtube for vids and I think I like the Flowmaster Outlaw axle back exhaust. Anyone else run this? Likes.. dislikes??
Any power gained??
Drone??
Quicksilver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
I can only tell you what rumors I've heard. Flowmaster = dronemaster and if you run ANY axle back, get ready to do some cutting. And no, no appreciable power gained at all. not from any cat back or axle back exhaust. IMO start with LT headers and HF cats.
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Long tubes with stock mufflers sound good. For how big they are they flow extremely well!

When I bought my car first thing I did was cutt the mufflers off. Drove it down the road and hardly noticed a difference. Axel back kits to me are too expensive for the little gain. I went with a full 304 stainless exhaust. It was some knock off eBay stuff but i paid $400 for the whole header back kit and it fit nicely.

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Gimpie95

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS
I have the full cat back Flowmaster Outlaw, which replaced a muffler delete (with stock manifolds on both). Never had it on the dyno, so I can't speak to actual horsepower gained. What I can tell you is that the full kit sounds awesome. I don't get any drone, and get compliments on the sound all the time. It's not quite as loud as the muffler delete, but sounds much better IMHO. It's got a deeper rumble with less crackling and popping. The first thing anyone ever asks me about my car is what exhaust set-up I'm running.

Bottom line: I highly recommend the Outlaw series!
Gimpie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
BadAndy

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
If I didn't have the dual mode exhaust on my car, I'd be putting the Dr Gas freq mod mufflers on mine. They sound pretty awesome without being too loud.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I have the outlaw axelback (2nd production set made) and sounds great, I love the clear unmuffled oldschool v8 sound. You do have alot of drone even with just the rest of the exhaust stock, at least to much for me on the freeway. Easy fix as I did is buy solo j pipes, or have your muffler shop make them as I did. I have no drone and thats with shorty headers and hiflow cats. As to power none really, may 2-3 or some more torque you cant feel
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I installed the maganaflow muffler delete axel back.....sounds really good..no drone. Sounds better with headers and hi flow cats
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
Quicksilver-SS

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
mfarhan_amin

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2013
I just ordered flowmaster outlaw axleback too for my camaro 2ss A6. Its better to go with axlebaxk rather than catback. When you plan to do headers than just buy the xpipe with LT headers.
mfarhan_amin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS L99 Blk with IOM pkg.
Is your SS and L99 Auto or an LS3 Manual?
InfernoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
Quicksilver-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoB View Post
Is your SS and L99 Auto or an LS3 Manual?
LS3 M6
Old 02-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpie95 View Post
I have the full cat back Flowmaster Outlaw, which replaced a muffler delete (with stock manifolds on both). Never had it on the dyno, so I can't speak to actual horsepower gained. What I can tell you is that the full kit sounds awesome. I don't get any drone, and get compliments on the sound all the time. It's not quite as loud as the muffler delete, but sounds much better IMHO. It's got a deeper rumble with less crackling and popping. The first thing anyone ever asks me about my car is what exhaust set-up I'm running.

LS3 or L99...
Old 02-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpie95 View Post

Interesting? So the flowmaster outlaw "catback" is NOT as loud as a muffler delete on the L99... was your resonator removed when you had the muffler delete, or did you only delete the mufflers? (Prior to the Outlaw Catback).
Old 02-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
Gimpie95

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS
I have an LS3. The sound levels are comparable, with the muffler delete being slightly louder. In my opinion (and of the folks that heard both), the Outlaw traded a tiny bit of loudness for a deeper exhaust note. For me the muffler delete was a little less refined in it's sound. All in all they are both great options, but I prefer the sound of the Flowmaster system with the added benefit of still being legal in my state for vehicle inspections
Gimpie95 is offline   Reply With Quote