Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Let's hope not at $1600.00 a set
$1900+.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #16
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Same as stock parts means your struts are degrading for sure. I hope the Z28 suspension doesn't do this.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #17
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
$1900+.
I dug up invoice ,was $1850.my bad ,it was in 2013.

Last edited by GONIF; 10-20-2014 at 03:15 PM.
GONIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I've always found that typically, OEM struts installed at the factory on many other types of vehicles as well, simply do not last as long as O.E equivalent and/or aftermarket solutions.

I'm always hoping that one day, this streak will end, alas I see this thread here :(.
I think OEM suspension components actually last a lot longer than aftermarket parts. The aftermarket parts are stressed a lot more due to higher dampening pressures, etc., not to mention inconsistent/improper seal quality in lower-end parts.

In my experience, OEM parts are almost always good at what they do. The problem is, you sometimes want/need something out of their spec
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #19
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS MoFo View Post
Damn I like driving my bitched 1LE camaro around town. I free rev the LS3 to make the next green light and break hard slowing way down to make the yellow turn lights. After about 10,000 miles of this, I noticed a lot more squat / dive. I don't want to lower the ride height but I'm wondering what type of suspension upgrades I need to make the car calm down and drive without the front going up and down all the time.

Should I get higher rate springs or different shocks?
I've noticed this too. But I'd rather have some squat when driving over the completely trash roads we have here. I think the engineers have done a great job compromising actually as the ride is not jarring but still firm. I'd bet if you were to install some coil overs, that would effectively solve your problem but at significant cost and possible lowering of the ride height.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
SS MoFo

Drives: 2014 SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
My Bilstein PSs10s with over 20000 miles don't squat of dive at all even at setting number 5 of 10. Over 5 is too stiff and has no dive even from 110 mph braking on road courses. It has to do with the quality of suspension.
The OEM parts are quality components, not arguing that. With my driving style, probably just need more suspension dampening.

I like how the Bilstein PSs10 can be adjusted easily... look like quality items too. Why the Bilstein PSs10s over other brands?
SS MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #21
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I think OEM suspension components actually last a lot longer than aftermarket parts. The aftermarket parts are stressed a lot more due to higher dampening pressures, etc., not to mention inconsistent/improper seal quality in lower-end parts.

In my experience, OEM parts are almost always good at what they do. The problem is, you sometimes want/need something out of their spec
I was actually talking about how long an OEM shock will last vs aftermarket generally speaking in the car world. Not nessasarily on this ride..

It's open knowledge here in my tribe, hell even in BMW car club communities, etc, that oem shocks typically last 80000km at best before they soften up on you.
This has been my experience as well after 2 decades in retrospect.

Atermarket ones sometimes even offer lifetime warranty.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #22
SS MoFo

Drives: 2014 SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I've noticed this too. But I'd rather have some squat when driving over the completely trash roads we have here. I think the engineers have done a great job compromising actually as the ride is not jarring but still firm. I'd bet if you were to install some coil overs, that would effectively solve your problem but at significant cost and possible lowering of the ride height.
I meant my bitchin' camaro... yeah I'm looking into street coilovers. Just gotta find some with around factory ride height or I'll drag or get stuck in the drainage gutter thing down the street.
SS MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #23
X25

Quote:
I was actually talking about how long an OEM shock will last vs aftermarket generally speaking in the car world. Not nessasarily on this ride..

It's open knowledge here in my tribe, hell even in BMW car club communities, etc, that oem shocks typically last 80000km at best before they soften up on you.
This has been my experience as well after 2 decades in retrospect.

Atermarket ones sometimes even offer lifetime warranty.
I use Öhlins coilovers on my Miata, which is one of the highest quality aftermarket suspension systems available in my opinion. Anyhow, even in its own user manual, it states that in order to keep it at top notch performance, it needs to be rebuilt every 20K kms. Koni, yet another very good brand, states that their shocks will soften up in time, and the user should adjust the stiffness settings to compensate.

Long story short, lifetime warranty or not, every shock gets softer. Higher the valving, faster they will become softer, and no one puts on soft shocks on their sports cars

OEMs are no different. At least, OEMs are well tested, and car manufacturers make sure they stay decent for the protected lifetime of the car. You never know with the aftermarket.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 10-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #24
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
My buddy Walt the Wolf at Lone Wolf Rolls Royce Bentley is an Öhlins dealer and that's his favorite brand for bikes .
Old 10-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #25
Camaro Dude

Quote:
........OEMs are no different. At least, OEMs are well tested, and car manufacturers make sure they stay decent for the protected lifetime of the car. You never know with the aftermarket.
Did you mean to write, "stay decent for the warranty period"? Or the lifetime of the car?

I can agree with the rest though, hence my re-quoting the latter.

Nice handling car the Miata. One of my best buds owns one, owned it since new.
Curious what suspension he installed. I may ask for his 0.02 in a bit, as I'm curious now..
Old 10-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #26
Camaro Dude

Quote:
I use Öhlins coilovers on my Miata, which is one of the highest quality aftermarket suspension systems available in my opinion. Anyhow, even in its own user manual, it states that in order to keep it at top notch performance, it needs to be rebuilt every 20K kms. Koni, yet another very good brand, states that their shocks will soften up in time, and the user should adjust the stiffness settings to compensate.

Long story short, lifetime warranty or not, every shock gets softer. Higher the valving, faster they will become softer, and no one puts on soft shocks on their sports cars

OEMs are no different. At least, OEMs are well tested, and car manufacturers make sure they stay decent for the protected lifetime of the car. You never know with the aftermarket.
Well I just asked my Miata bud, lollll

He has had OEM shocks on his since 91, with 160000km's on them, so now I can see where you are going with this !!

Very impressive indeed! But I can tell you right now, VW OEM oil filled shocks will not make it too far past the warranty period. Not on our moon landscape roads here anyways..
Old 10-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #27
X25

Quote:
Well I just asked my Miata bud, lollll

He has had OEM shocks on his since 91, with 160000km's on them, so now I can see where you are going with this !!

Very impressive indeed! But I can tell you right now, VW OEM oil filled shocks will not make it too far past the warranty period. Not on our moon landscape roads here anyways..
Back when I was a teenager, I started driving with a VW Polo Sportline, and even though it was brand new, I had so many problems with that car. I believe you; I'm sure VW found a way to make them fail : )

Make no mistake, the shocks will get softer as you put miles on them. The stiffer it is to start with, the faster it will become noticeable. This is true for all shocks.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 10-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #28
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Interested to see how long these components last. OEM shocks lasted maybe 20k miles into the 90s (and were too soft to begin with), but seem much better now. Our Suburban's are fine at 89K miles and nearly 6 years. I have had to replace springs on some SUVs as well when they started to sag.

I may just replace the whole assemblies if I keep the 5th gen long enough.