Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
Cheetah

Drives: Camaro Rs
winter time

what do you guys do to keep your car clean ?

I heard car wash places scratch ur car up ?

any pre spray to spray on car before winter start to keep it protected from salt that is thrown out on the road ?

or what do you usually do ?

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Considering how you are in Michigan, you are going to see snow and the salts on the road.

What I would do (just from reading around on detailing forums, as I live in Florida) is apply some good long lasting wax or sealant. And several coats of it.

I've heard collinite 845 is a go to wax for many people in the winter.

Recently, your question was brought up on Autogeek. A lot of people said they will go to a touchless (you are right any car wash business that touches your car will create swirls), have the touchless car wash somewhat clean the car, and then once they are at their driveway or garage, they would do a waterless wash.

Hope that helps

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I was raised in Michigan, and one thing I don't miss is winter. What a mess. Anyway, what you want to do is get a good sealant on there. Something like Rejex or Collinite should do the trick nicely. Get at least two layers on there.

As for the washing, you're kind of stuck in a bad situation. On the one hand, a touch carwash will ruin your paint, on the other, and a touch less will likely strip all your wax and sealant off because the detergents they use are pretty intense. Between the two, touch less would definitely be preferred.

If I lived there, here's what I would do (because I'm insane). I'd go down to a pay and spray wash and use the wand to rinse the car very well, using only water. Knock off as much of the salt and junk as you can. Then, I'd go into my garage, and use a rinseless wash like Optimum No Rinse (pm me if you need more info on how to use) . That product will safely clean the car without the need to get out hoses or anything, as long as the car is only lightly dirty. Definitely try to do this on a day when the roads are relatively clear so you don't gunk the car up too bad on the way home. Of course, this depends on your cold tolerance and level of mental instability, as washing your car in 30 degree weather is pretty crazy.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I was raised in Michigan, and one thing I don't miss is winter. What a mess. Anyway, what you want to do is get a good sealant on there. Something like Rejex or Collinite should do the trick nicely. Get at least two layers on there.

As for the washing, you're kind of stuck in a bad situation. On the one hand, a touch carwash will ruin your paint, on the other, and a touch less will likely strip all your wax and sealant off because the detergents they use are pretty intense. Between the two, touch less would definitely be preferred.

If I lived there, here's what I would do (because I'm insane). I'd go down to a pay and spray wash and use the wand to rinse the car very well, using only water. Knock off as much of the salt and junk as you can. Then, I'd go into my garage, and use a rinseless wash like Optimum No Rinse (pm me if you need more info on how to use) . That product will safely clean the car without the need to get out hoses or anything, as long as the car is only lightly dirty. Definitely try to do this on a day when the roads are relatively clear so you don't gunk the car up too bad on the way home. Of course, this depends on your cold tolerance and level of mental instability, as washing your car in 30 degree weather is pretty crazy.

Matt,
that is pretty much what I do with my car, and you have spotted me driving my car around Christmas time.

I just use the wand at the car wash a couple times, and get Rejex on the car before the winter.

Another thing I like to do if possible, I know it sounds crazy, but it is fun! I like to drive around in fresh snow in an unplowed parking lot to get the snow on the underbody.

I'll also do my best to try and spray the underbody when I wash the car. I try not to wash or drive it on those sunny days when the road are wet as that is just salt water hitting the car.

Winter tires are a must, and I save my quarters all summer for hitting the car wash in the winter.

I've done a sprayer with warm water before in the driveway, and that can help, but I prefer the waterless wash after using the wand at the car wash.

Also at about 10 degrees, you can't complete washing the car before the water droplets are "ice".

Tim
Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I'm still thinking about changing back to the factory trunk lid, as my washers corroded last year after driving it in the winter.

honestly just the water did that, and not necessarily the salt mix.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
I'm still thinking about changing back to the factory trunk lid, as my washers corroded last year after driving it in the winter.

honestly just the water did that, and not necessarily the salt mix.
Really? That sucks. I remember helping you put that on, it was a fun project.

And yes, I think I even mentioned to you how nice your car looks in the winter. I was shocked.

So guys, do whatever Tim does. It definitely works.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
skuttduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Really? That sucks. I remember helping you put that on, it was a fun project.

And yes, I think I even mentioned to you how nice your car looks in the winter. I was shocked.

So guys, do whatever Tim does. It definitely works.

Yes you were quite the help on that one.
Anyhow, I was thinking of doing it for just the winter is all, but I am going to try something first. I'm thinking of coating them in clear silicone then peeling them off in the spring.

I'm going to pull off the rear backup light bezels, the kick up back there is just too much for those.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Cheetah

Drives: Camaro Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07

I'm not worried how much dirt I have on my car , all I care that I'm protected or try as much as possible to stay away from salt , Bec that thing will eat your car alive .

I do have winter tires , although I will be driving my camaro to very minimum .

so will the collitide ? ( sorry if I spelled it wrong ) will stay on if I just rinse the care in self wash ?

any spray for under body care ?

what about salt on your shoes than stepping inside the car and getting salt on mats ?

Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
skuttduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
I'm not worried how much dirt I have on my car , all I care that I'm protected or try as much as possible to stay away from salt , Bec that thing will eat your car alive .

I do have winter tires , although I will be driving my camaro to very minimum .

so will the collitide ? ( sorry if I spelled it wrong ) will stay on if I just rinse the care in self wash ?

any spray for under body care ?

what about salt on your shoes than stepping inside the car and getting salt on mats ?

I have weathertech floor mats they helped for the salt that gets tracked into the car.

I'd be glad to show you my car if you were near me (Lansing area), so you can see what 3 winters of daily driving has done.

I just try and rinse the underbody with the car wash wand as best as I can. In the spring and every time I wash my car, I put the sprayer on angle and just rinse it.

My dealer tried to sell me on the Ziebart undercoating but I never bothered with that.

Hope that helps.
Tim