Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Steers

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS M6
First time at track tomorrow, EVER

Ok, I'll just get general info out right from the start so you guys know where I'm coming from.

Bone stock 2SS M6
First manual ever driven (I've had the car for exactly 1 year this month)
...and the biggest factor, I'm only 19 years old.

What does help though is my dad also owns a '10 2SS M6 and ever since I've owned my car he has shown me what to do/not to do, how to shift properly, how to shift quickly, and how to shift when letting the car run loose, assuming that helps with this. This is also my first trip to the dragstrip sub-forum and I'm reading through threads that relate to the giant wall of text I'm typing out now to try and get at least some knowledge pro-actively.

Now, I'm not the type that drives around acting like top dog because I was lucky enough to get this car at such a young age, nor do I want to even pretend like I know what I'm doing when I go out there tomorrow, so I'm coming here to ask for help.

I pretty much just want a basic rundown of...

Before even going on the track, is there anything I should practice?

Anything "on" the track I'm a complete newbie, so I would GREATLY appreciate a basic/general/quick walkthrough of things to avoid doing, Trac-On/Off or Comp. mode during, what RPM range should I aim to shift at, and when shifting do I let off the gas completely to shift or "powershift" is what my dad called it (I think?) when he taught me...aka not releasing the gas at all when shifting.

I get enough criticism as is for being so young and having a car "my daddy bought" so please try to be rational if youre going to rag on me for that. Sorry if I'm asking WAY too much and/or the wrong questions, I'd just prefer to leave the track my first night with the car and myself in one piece

TLDR: First track run, first manual, young driver, help?
Steers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
well, its more of a trial and error thing. just get out of the hole as quick as you can without spinning. wheel spin will absolutely kill your ET's (time).

now the biggest noob mistakes i see at the track are people that drive THROUGH the water box instead of around it. Driving through it will just track water to the line and possibly hurt your traction. Also, a burnout isnt necessary with street tires if thats what you will be running.

the next mistakes noobs make are at the starting line (staging). When you get to the line just creep up slowly till all 4 little yellow lights (two rows of two) light up and stop there.wait and dont move.

when the race is about to start, dont wait till the green light lights up to start going because it takes a bit of time (though it doesnt FEEL like it) from when you press the gas pedal and the car actually starts moving.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
blueallie

Drives: Abm 1ss/rs 6m
You'll want leave on the third yellow. Also when you stage. Light up the first two little yellow lights and wait for the person in the other lane to light up theirs. It's called courtesy staging. A lot of tracks practice it and people get pissed if you don't. Other than that be safe and have fun!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
A few things (some have been mentioned by others already):

1) If on street tires, drive around the water box. Also, you don't need to do a big burnout on street tires, just a quick chirp to clean them off.

2) When staging, you have to light up two sets of little yellow lights. Creep forward until you just barely set off the second set and then get ready to run. Be SURE that you don't drive past the staging area because you will look like a rookie doing that and it wastes everyone's time

3) Leave on the third big yellow because by the time you react to that, it will be green.

4) Watch the track officials. Seems obvious but you'd be surprised at how many people "fall asleep" once they get up there and the track officials have to bang on their windows to get their attention.

5) Bring a helmet. NHRA rules state that 13.999 or faster (I believe) require the driver to wear a helmet. Some tracks enforce this, some don't. Along those same lines: wear a regular shirt (no tank tops), long pants, and tennis shoes. You would be surprised at how many people try to go down the track wearing shorts and get kicked out (again, some tracks enforce this, some don't).

6) Here is one that NOBODY seems to follow: INSIDE CAR GETS RIGHT OF WAY AT THE END! What I mean is, even if you beat the car you are racing against by 20 bus lengths, if they are in the inside lane (being closest to the pull off lane where you leave the track and get your time slips) THEY GET TO GO FIRST. The reason for this is simple: if you are racing someone who runs 9s and they have a problem starting for whatever reason, you don't want to cross in front of them when they finally do get going because they might slam into the back of you.

There's probably more, but that's all I could think of right now. I'll let someone else with more experience with this car specifically answer the launching/shifting questions
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueallie View Post
.... Also when you stage. Light up the first two little yellow lights and wait for the person in the other lane to light up theirs. It's called courtesy staging. A lot of tracks practice it and people get pissed if you don't.....
why would people get pissed?? people with such short tempers should not be racing IMO
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
KMSRS2SS
I lurk

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
I'll add turn the nannies off.... I went for the first time did 7 runs pulled out of the raceway and realized I left everything on the whole time. Probably saved me a little tread though.

VMS Stage 2.5 Camshaft Kit- Comp cam LSA 114,227/239, .613 .623, RotoFab CAI, VMS ported intake manifold,Kooks 1 3/4" headers with HF cats, Corsa Catback, VMS custom dyno tune,TechAFX engine hose relocation kit, DSS 1400 hp axles, BMR toe rods and links, LS9 Clutch, Hurst short throw with roll out, Liberty Gear built tremec 6060.
KMSRS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Blue Streak
Blue Streak

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS / RS, SuperCharged
You have my blood boiling right now. Sounds awesome! I cant wait to take mine to the drag strip this summer for the first time ever. Just got a maggie installed and I am nervous I wont be able to get off the line fast enough without spinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
well, its more of a trial and error thing. just get out of the hole as quick as you can without spinning. wheel spin will absolutely kill your ET's (time).

now the biggest noob mistakes i see at the track are people that drive THROUGH the water box instead of around it. Driving through it will just track water to the line and possibly hurt your traction. Also, a burnout isnt necessary with street tires if thats what you will be running.

the next mistakes noobs make are at the starting line (staging). When you get to the line just creep up slowly till all 4 little yellow lights (two rows of two) light up and stop there.wait and dont move.

when the race is about to start, dont wait till the green light lights up to start going because it takes a bit of time (though it doesnt FEEL like it) from when you press the gas pedal and the car actually starts moving.
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
silverfox

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
If your going to run at richmond dragway tomorrow(I may be there in a silver 2010 auto) look to run in the same track as the car before you if he didn't have any problems. Don't be distracted by gauges or the guy in the other lane. If you feel your car is not running straight then get out of the gas and be able to run again later.
LS2 Darton sleeved 427 stroker.Callies dragonslayer crankshaft. Callies I beam rods. Wiseco blower pistons. Mast cnc 12 degree big bore ls3 heads-2.2 intake &1.6 ex. 6 bolt 270cc-.750 deck. Lunati link bar lifters.T&D roller rockers.COMP-VA. Speed special cam 605 lift, 238dur. Procharger F1R @15psi. ARH headers with custom 3'' exhaust all the way.Magnaflow mufflers. QTP cutouts.Rossler built 6l80e trans. DSS 1400hp axles.
Pfadt suspension.-Coilovers, sway bars,motor mounts,trailing arms. Aeromotive eliminater pump.
907rwhp.
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
BackinBlack
KASPR

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS LS3
Good info! Steers I give you credit for being 19 and having the smarts to ask for help from other guys with experience. Not just another know-it-all teenager, are you?

Anyone who makes fun of you for doing that is a pretty big loser.

The only thing I can tell you is to avoid wheel hop. If you notice it put the hammer way down to spin freely or let off completely. This may ruin your launch time but it can save your drivetrain (shafts/axles/differential). So no Launch Control, ever.

Back to the good advice:
With all the traction control/stability control off, how much throttle on a stock LS3 SS is enough to manage the launch without excessive spin?

In my own car I had good luck with about 3000rpm but no one was timing me....it just 'felt' like a good launch and once hooked I put the hammer all the way down to shift at 6000 and ride the next gear from 4500. Anyone with dragstrip time have any observations?
BackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
Steers

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
If your going to run at richmond dragway tomorrow(I may be there in a silver 2010 auto) look to run in the same track as the car before you if he didn't have any problems. Don't be distracted by gauges or the guy in the other lane. If you feel your car is not running straight then get out of the gas and be able to run again later.
Yeah a group of us are going down there, I'm going after work and hopefully will be there around 5:30-6:00ish, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlack View Post
Good info! Steers I give you credit for being 19 and having the smarts to ask for help from other guys with experience. Not just another know-it-all teenager, are you?

Anyone who makes fun of you for doing that is a pretty big loser.

The only thing I can tell you is to avoid wheel hop. If you notice it put the hammer way down to spin freely or let off completely. This may ruin your launch time but it can save your drivetrain (shafts/axles/differential). So no Launch Control, ever.

Back to the good advice:
With all the traction control/stability control off, how much throttle on a stock LS3 SS is enough to manage the launch without excessive spin?

In my own car I had good luck with about 3000rpm but no one was timing me....it just 'felt' like a good launch and once hooked I put the hammer all the way down to shift at 6000 and ride the next gear from 4500. Anyone with dragstrip time have any observations?
Haha no I try my best to not be another know-it-all teenager no matter how much my mom tells me otherwise

What exactly is a wheel hop? I've never heard that term before.

With Trac. off I'd guess somewhere close to 3000RPM without bad spin, but I'm not 100% sure on that
Old 04-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
blueallie

Drives: Abm 1ss/rs 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
why would people get pissed?? people with such short tempers should not be racing IMO
I totally agree. But there are some tracks that enforce this.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
Steers

So, do I run with just traction off? or Comp mode?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
Corran9

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS
I'm gonna throw a question of my own in, while we're on the subject of newbie racers. I was reading the general NHRA track rules and it says cars of 12.99 and faster need a drive shaft loop. I'm assuming that with my bone-stock 2SS, I won't need to worry about having one, correct?
Corran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
this is all good stuff. good luck to you and most of all..........have fun.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote