Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
One Year Ago Today

It was one year ago today, December 18, 2008, when I took the quick drive from the GM Technical Center to pick up one of the very first Captured Test Fleet Camaros. That car is affectionately known simply as Number 3 for the early VIN of that pre-production car. It was an incredible day and I hope when I’m an old geezer in a home somewhere that my lips will still curl upward with a smile when I can remember how beautiful that Victory Red 1LT was and that smack you upside the head feeling of awe it created in me.

Yes, I sat in the car and asked how anyone could possibly see out of it. And, I doubted that I would be able to put two sets of golf clubs in the trunk for our upcoming road trip to California. Both have been proven to be nothing more than trivial observations. Both overcome quickly with knowledge and experience with the car.

That journey to and from California will be a road trip I will remember the rest of my life. I’ve said that simple 1LT made me feel like a rock star. But the reality is more like the spouse of a rock star. No one cared about me……………..just the car. And I will absolutely never forget on our trip home posting here on Camaro5, at 10:00 at night mind you, that I would be willing to meet any members for coffee at McDonalds the next morning at 7. I drove over expecting to have a coffee and then hit the road. What I found was a bunch of Camaro enthusiasts dying to see the car. I was and still remain stunned by this.

In April, we managed to arrange a swap with Fbodfather to take his Yellow SS RS, now affectionately known as Thor, to Florida. On that trip I had the great privilege to meet so many members of Camaro5 including GTAHVIT. Who I have pictures of for sale at a nominal price plus shipping.

I won’t go into that story either, but you all know that when I had to turn in Number 3 when the wheels were stolen I was lucky enough to be reassigned Mrs. Number 3’s Victory Red SS, #296. That car we took to South Carolina, where we met Camarospike23. Thanks to Spike, Mrs. Number 3 and I were able to get an up close tour of the magnificent C17. And Spike was able to introduce the Camaro to many others that day as well.

And when we had to return #296, a good friend somehow managed the good fortune to be assigned a Red Jewel Tintcoat 2LT. I was able to drive that car quite regularly through the fall. And only a week or so ago, that car was pulled from service, ending my 11 ½ month run of driving CTF Camaros.

Everything I had hoped for starting one year ago today has happened. If you knew the joy I feel when you guys post pictures of your cars and the stories you tell…………well you probably wouldn’t believe it. When I look at the pictures from the events and gatherings you host and attend, all I do is smile and remember when it was my simple wish for that to happen here on Camaro5.

I have posted a ton of photos, and tried to be a resource for you guys when possible but mostly just share the experiences of driving these CTF cars until you were able to get yours and experience the car for yourselves.

So at this point, it isn’t the cars I’ve driven over the past year that is so important. It’s the memories and friendships that have resulted.

So one year to the day, a salute to you, to your Camaros and to the memories and friendships!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Thanks for it all 3
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Wow a year already gone... Thanks for it all, its burned into my memory and puts a smile on my face every time I recall it.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Damn, it's been a year already?

Time flies when you're having fun.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
great post. You are a class act Mr. 3.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Thumbs up GREAT POST, 'NUMBER 3'!!!

I certainly know what you're talkin' 'bout, as I have the 'privilege' to drive my precious 2LT/RS RJT Camaro EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!...and, it never 'gets old' to me, if anything, it gets better and better...

As some of you might have noticed on this forum, I am as 'giddy as a child' every time I get behind the wheel of my 'ROCKETSHIP', and I have the biggest PERMAGRIN in the entire world, I think...lol...

Thank you, 'Number 3' for your insightful observations and stories that you have shared with Camaro5...we are all 'family' on here, brought together by the 'love of a Camaro'.....

Oh yeah, did I happen to mention to anyone that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this car???!!!...

Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
I remember that day. "You lucky SOB"
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Seems the Camaro, which means friend, is appropriately named.

Good times 3
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Great post!!!
Becky
Attached Images

JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
camarorick

Drives: .
You are so right about the friendships..... It's amazing how this common interest we call Camaro has brought so many of us together .

I also want to say sir, that you have been a great help by sharing your experiences with number 3, and for this I salute you
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
It is just crazy how fast this year has gone.

Before you know we'll be past the FEST and well on our way to convertibles.

And thanks for your comments. It has really been fun playing here on Camaro5. I've met a lot of great people on line and in person.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Oh yea, we were following your every words, dreaming what our camaro's will be like when they got built.We all had in our minds that come March or April we would be living the dream. Not all memories were so good, like the Jan 12th IDL, production pushed back a month, that was a downer. But your threads kept us tuned in and camaro5 kept us turned on. To my desire, I got my reward that sits in my garage and I charish it like a pulitzer prize. Thanks #3

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
The pictures were freaking amazing. You took pics that ended up as my desktop 3 or 4 different times. And of course the photoshopped pic of Bonnie in one of them that, though it wast'n number 3, was still taken by you. Awesome.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Number 3,

Yep, I followed every step of your CTF trip(s) that you posted here to Camaro5. I remember, about this time last year, I after reading a many of your posts, I finally accepted that you were actually "for real". I had never been more jealous of anyone in my entire life. Just about the time when the jealousy begins to subside, your wife gets a freakin SS and it started all over again.

Thanks for taking us on the journey with you Number 3. You're a great man.

Now, go get a vert CTF and let us know how you like it.