Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
thegreattailz

Drives: convertible
Need help with fuse box 13 vert. Need a hot ignition off for a LED scanner

Im putting in a scanner and some LED strips, and Im having trouble branching the lead off the fuse box. The scanner has to be an active hot ONLY when the ignitions off, then it has to cut when the vehicle is started. I checked all the fuses and pretty much all of them are hot all the time.

The other thing is I have a dash led kit id like to install so its works with the door lamp. Unfortunately, whats really weird is this new camaro doesnt have any floor lights. I though that was really weird cuz Id usually just tap off those or cut them out completely. If anyone has any experience in this please let me know. I might need some sort of relay box I can get from autozone

The Varad instruction book isnt much help. Because it generalizes the connectors, but I did read somewhere you have to connect it to a "Negative ground when the ignition is off" fuse. So if any of you camaro experts know which one of my fuses is grounded when off then Id love to know cuz I cant find it anywhere. Thanks
Attached Images

thegreattailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
For my scanner light I tapped into the side marker lights this way they went on only when the sensor on the top of the dash went off, for the footwell lighting their are a few options, the stabiilitrak button has a yellow wire you can tap into and under the drivers side gray wire(I think) you can tap into. Mine is a 2011 so not sure if there were any changes
Old 02-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
thegreattailz

Whats the sensor on the dash? And is it active when the car is off and not active when its on?

I swung the lead from the dome light to activate the led strips so they work with the door now. I gonna attach 2 neon bars to the mirror and run that off the dome too. Hopefully it wont overload the fuse. But light bar and leds take almost no voltage so I should be okay.

Just gotta fix the scanner now
Old 02-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreattailz View Post
Whats the sensor on the dash? And is it active when the car is off and not active when its on?

I swung the lead from the dome light to activate the led strips so they work with the door now. I gonna attach 2 neon bars to the mirror and run that off the dome too. Hopefully it wont overload the fuse. But light bar and leds take almost no voltage so I should be okay.

Just gotta fix the scanner now
I believe he was talking about the dome light turning on when a door is open. the sens or on your dash is for auto lights, it turns them on at night or whenever its dark..
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
For a hot while ignition off circuit, check circuit 52 in the under hood fuse box.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
thegreattailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray1978 View Post
For a hot while ignition off circuit, check circuit 52 in the under hood fuse box.
What do I do with it after I find it? Run a wire from the engine through the firewall to under the dash?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
I believe he was talking about the dome light turning on when a door is open. the sens or on your dash is for auto lights, it turns them on at night or whenever its dark..

correct I only wanted mine to run at night so when the sensor for the lighst went off my scanner and grill lights would come on