Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #85
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I think that's all people were hoping for. Other posters said we had no reason to need this information and that it was some sort of "trade secret" like the GM spokesperson stated. I think you guys might want to let him know that you are planning on releasing more detailed info before he goes off and tells the rest of the automotive press that it's some sort of secret. People, including the person you quoted, were just responding to them stating that we feel like we should be able to know which ones are potentially affected without having to find out the hard way. Not that we need to know NOW but sometime in the not too distant future. Thanks! Rest assured that knowing this information is MUCH appreciated.
... and this is a well thought out response. I responded to blown-up rhetoric about a car that has manufacturing problems. People sit behind their computers yacking on about how they're owed this and that, when they're not. If the NY Times has never released that statement, how much hooplah would there be? You would still be receiving your VIN range, etc.

I never once said they shouldn't tell people what VIN range is affected, I just said it's not really any business to you, as the consumer, to worry about the root cause, whether it be GM's or Tremec's fault. As long as it gets fixed.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #86
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I swear I'm gonna hang myself............

How many times do I have to say: "We're working on it..."

NOW>>>>

........late evening meetings last evening.......

We are still clarifying the list - this is not something that you can just hit a button on a computer and a list pops out........

We will contact each customer who has a car involved.......

Please -- just CALM DOWN........
Scott,
Thank you so much for helping to do the right thing. We look forward to hearing the source of the issue and the list of who may be affected. If only all manufacturers would do that...

EVERYBODY here has a keyboard but we all have different levels of typing "skills".

-Mark.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #87
Verio

Man, has this thread spiraled out of control.

I don't see any one taking up arms about the L99's not having power as advertised... how about you re-direct those pitchforks and torches towards the folks that have a problem that isn't being addressed at all, from what I can see.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #88
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Man, has this thread spiraled out of control.

I don't see any one taking up arms about the L99's not having power as advertised... how about you re-direct those pitchforks and torches towards the folks that have a problem that isn't being addressed at all, from what I can see.
I just wish people, including fbodfather, would read the rest of the thread before responding and getting all worked up over old posts that have already been corrected.

It was my understanding that GM is working on determining the cause of the L99 issue. I know they were doing testing with Scott@bjorn3d's car.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #89
gred04

Drives: Boxster
Quote:
I think GM's only responsibility is to sell you a damn car and warranty the repairs for 3 years/36k miles or 5years/100k.

Quit acting like you're OWED something from a car manufacturer.
I believe that your OWED the piece of mind that a 30-40k vehicle purchase is of sound design/manufacturing and not going to start costing you anything other then NORMAL maintenance costs shortly after a warranty expires. Certainly say at least 100k miles like GM likes to tell people their drivetrains will minimally last.

In cases when a manufacturer cannot provide that piece of mind then your OWED some explanation of what will be done in lieu of it. Not vague "we got it taken care of" but something that will convince me NOT to get rid of the car because of potential issues and NEVER buy another GM product again.

It is this very attitude that allow car manufacturers to continue producing vehicles even though there is known design/manufacturing issues.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #90
Verio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I just wish people, including fbodfather, would read the rest of the thread before responding and getting all worked up over old posts that have already been corrected.

It was my understanding that GM is working on determining the cause of the L99 issue. I know they were doing testing with Scott@bjorn3d's car.
I knwo IRPQ has taken his to his dealer on multiple occasions and still has no resoluton. Rpepka was told that by his dealer that GM found no issues with his car and will not "fix" an issue that does not exist.

I think Scott@Bjorn3d may have a bit more clout, and that may be where he was given a 2nd look over.

Otherwise, I haven't heard of a single fix for any of the L99's out there.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #91
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
You don't publicly disgrace your #1 employee, right after you emerge from bankruptcy. In essence, by Fritz saying "Bob says alot of things but he works for me", and puting it out for the publict to see, shows infighting and bickering and the "new" GM isn't even a month old. It's like he's hanging Bob out to dry - not that Bob needs anyone to defend him, but it shows poor leadership skills and a lack of confidence by Fritz.

Bob knows product, plain and simple, and he talks off the cuff. Fritz knew that going into this - he needs to STFU!

If he is like this with this relatively small issue, how will he respond with much greater issues?

Scott you should read the GM blog. Bob Lutz has the majority of the country in his corner. Maybe not for the product reversal so much as the way Fritz handled it (but you can bet your sweet bippy that many people are mucho pissed that the G8 will not survive in some fashion at Chevy).
Me thinks you believe you are watching sports on TV. Likely, the majority of the country doesn't know who Bob Lutz is. The car guys and gals certainly do, and I am guessing you are one of those. And your idea of what constitutes "poor leadership" is verrrry interesting. And how does this show Henderson has a lack of confidence? Lack of confidence in Bob? Yeah that's why he has a newly created job to only increase the awareness of GM in the publics mind. No easy task and it was given to Bob for a reason.

I am curious as to how you would handle a reporter coming up to you and saying, "Bob says the G8 is going to be saved as a Chevy, what do you think". Should he say, "Bob is brilliant and if he disagrees with what I said in the press 2 months ago then I guess I'll just have to change my mind"? Or maybe you like, "Gosh that is a nice comment from Bob. I think I'll go talk to him right after we finish this interview"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Regardless of the economy, GM's N/A market share has continuously declined over the last quarter century. Declining market share AND negative cash flow ultimately means one thing - a slow and painful death.

I am 100% behind all the moves that Fritz and company are implementing but I wonder how much of it would have been implemented if the economy was doing well and Rick was still running the show.
It was all in the plan. The only additional casualty was probably Saturn. The bankruptcy allowed quicker action with fewer repurcusions. But the biggest impact was the crushing loss of Full Size Pickup and SUV sales due to the early trumped up increase in fuel prices, followed immediately by the economic melt down. If the sales rate and GMs market share held to late 07 early 08 levels, we may (I say that because we will never really know one way or the other) not be where we are today.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #92
Verio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gred04 View Post
I believe that your OWED the piece of mind that a 30-40k vehicle purchase is of sound design/manufacturing and not going to start costing you anything other then NORMAL maintenance costs shortly after a warranty expires. Certainly say at least 100k miles like GM likes to tell people their drivetrains will minimally last.

In cases when a manufacturer cannot provide that piece of mind then your OWED some explanation of what will be done in lieu of it. Not vague "we got it taken care of" but something that will convince me NOT to get rid of the car because of potential issues and NEVER buy another GM product again.
I don't really know how you expect GM to give you a piece of mind other than a 100K mile warranty??
Why would they warranty their work for so long if they didn't believe it would work? Why do other foreign manufacterers warranty their work for much less?

In a mass produced environment with many outside producers of parts, there are bound to be hiccups. Do you think you are OWED daily briefings from the Oshawa plant for any potential problems that may arise? How about weekly briefings?

I make ridiculous statements because I think some of these responses are ridiculous. Of course I want a car that I paid 30-40K for to perform as designed, advertised, and priced. However, I'm not going to take a torch and start burning down GM because they didn't release a VIN range less than a week of the issue being discovered.

Take a step back and realize how ridiculous some of this sounds.

We need more of this -

and less of this - :
Old 07-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #93
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Quote:
Because this is the SS Manual thread. There are A LOT of threads about the Auto's power, or lack there of.

Quote:
I don't really know how you expect GM to give you a piece of mind other than a 100K mile warranty??
Why would they warranty their work for so long if they didn't believe it would work? Why do other foreign manufacterers warranty their work for much less?
A lot of us talk to make sure things get done. If we all sit around saying nothing, we likely don't get a VIN range...or a lot of small problems fixed. Nothing wrong with voicing your concerns on a forum; it's not like we're outside the plant or at GM's headquarters demanding answers.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #94
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It was all in the plan. The only additional casualty was probably Saturn. The bankruptcy allowed quicker action with fewer repurcusions. But the biggest impact was the crushing loss of Full Size Pickup and SUV sales due to the early trumped up increase in fuel prices, followed immediately by the economic melt down. If the sales rate and GMs market share held to late 07 early 08 levels, we may (I say that because we will never really know one way or the other) not be where we are today.
Actually it was not. The initial plan (pre taking the jet to Washington) included no brand ellimination and the updated plan (post taking the hybrid to Washington) did not go far enough, as far as Washington was concerned. GM was asked to sharpen the pencils and only then was Pontiac et al. thrown on the chopping block.

Secondly, without bankruptcy, GM would have never gotten out of the union agreements, franchise agreements and debt which had been suffocating the company for decades.

I'm not going to debate the full size pick-up SUV thing except to say that all business must plan and budget for an industry down-turn.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #95
gred04

Drives: Boxster
Quote:

Take a step back and realize how ridiculous some of this sounds.

We need more of this -

and less of this - :
No flaming meant just another’s opinion.

I think sometimes it is easy to forget that 40k is what many small businesses earn in a year. This is not a trivial investment in any company. We consumers should demand that for the money comes the piece of mind that we received a product worthy of the purchase price ( however we choose to judge it ).

I do think GM’s drivetrain warranty is a good one, better than many competitors. I found issue with your comments ( which were in response to another’s posters desire to understand the real issue ) that we consumers are not really owed anything more than a product with a given period warranty.

I just disagree with that sentiment. Today any vehicle where the drivetrain does not last substantially longer than 100k ( with proper maintenance ) is a sub-industry drivetrain. Regardless if repairs are made under warranty.

That we have enough failures to warrant conversation on a vehicle that is a couple months old indicates issues.

GM should come forward and disclose the problem/solution so someone much more knowledgeable than myself can confirm that yes this should take care of present and future issues. Consumer piece of mind.

Otherwise you are left with their word that everything is rosy which BTW is what we believed in the first place.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #96
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Me thinks you believe you are watching sports on TV. Likely, the majority of the country doesn't know who Bob Lutz is. The car guys and gals certainly do, and I am guessing you are one of those. And your idea of what constitutes "poor leadership" is verrrry interesting. And how does this show Henderson has a lack of confidence? Lack of confidence in Bob? Yeah that's why he has a newly created job to only increase the awareness of GM in the publics mind. No easy task and it was given to Bob for a reason.

I am curious as to how you would handle a reporter coming up to you and saying, "Bob says the G8 is going to be saved as a Chevy, what do you think". Should he say, "Bob is brilliant and if he disagrees with what I said in the press 2 months ago then I guess I'll just have to change my mind"? Or maybe you like, "Gosh that is a nice comment from Bob. I think I'll go talk to him right after we finish this interview"?
What he should have said was something to the effect of:

"The G8 is under review. Bob's opinion of it is shared by many people, both within and outside of the company. But we have to look at all the angles, and his opinion, though very valuable, is just one of the angles we are looking at"

What was wrong with something like that? It doesn't throw Bob under the bus in public, but it basically says the same thing.

Closed Thread