Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Exhaust question

Please remember, I am new to modding my car.

I am planning on ordering the Solo j pipe axle back kit for my SS vert. I have seen a lot of posts recommending high flow cats as well. Is it worth it to swap cats if I am not adding headers? If I changed the cats as well, should I go with the cat back kit instead? My car has the L99, and I am adding a Vararam to it also.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
The solo Mach xc catback is a great sounding exhaust and it's crazy how well the j-pipes work at keeping the cabin nice and quiet at idle and cruise. I have seen multiple stories of people getting the solo cats and still getting error codes so it may or may not work for you, I would lean towards getting the full cat back and a range device to shut off afm. Personally I saw my mpg go up 1-2 after tuning and having afm turned off
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
The solo Mach xc catback is a great sounding exhaust and it's crazy how well the j-pipes work at keeping the cabin nice and quiet at idle and cruise. I have seen multiple stories of people getting the solo cats and still getting error codes so it may or may not work for you, I would lean towards getting the full cat back and a range device to shut off afm. Personally I saw my mpg go up 1-2 after tuning and having afm turned off
I don't have any plans to have the car tuned yet. Once most of the warranty is out, I will consider it. However, I picked up a Range a couple weeks ago from a camaro5 member. Since the car has been a Chevy for 2 weeks, I have not gotten to use it much yet. So far, I have picked up the Range, Vararam & strong MAF. I will order the exhaust once I get the car back. What is the benefit of a cat back over an axle back?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
Algeron

I am planning on ordering an exhaust by this weekend. Any other info on this topic to make sure I get the right one?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
The Solo cats will NOT give you a CEL if installed correctly. ALL of the stories about them giving CEL's are due to and eror in installation like a loose connection. Solo stands behind their products and will assist you if you have a problem. I would not fear a CEL if I wanted the high flow cats. They will add power and quite a bit more sound, also making it much deeper. They are almost as expensive as some budget headers w/cats so I decided to just get the headers and high flows and bought a DB2 code reader to turn off the CEL.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
The Solo cats will NOT give you a CEL if installed correctly. ALL of the stories about them giving CEL's are due to and eror in installation like a loose connection. Solo stands behind their products and will assist you if you have a problem. I would not fear a CEL if I wanted the high flow cats. They will add power and quite a bit more sound, also making it much deeper. They are almost as expensive as some budget headers w/cats so I decided to just get the headers and high flows and bought a DB2 code reader to turn off the CEL.
I may add headers later, but I don't have any plans for it yet.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
I may add headers later, but I don't have any plans for it yet.

Well you wont have any problems selling the Solo cats here if you chose to get those now and end up getting headers later. They wont fit headers so you cant add headers to them later.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Well you wont have any problems selling the Solo cats here if you chose to get those now and end up getting headers later. They wont fit headers so you cant add headers to them later.
You can add shorty headers to the Solo HFC's! Not long Tube Headers!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
Algeron

If I decided to add the HFC in 3-4 months, would it be better to get the axle back or cat back exhaust?

Personally, I only know the difference in how much of the exhaust that is being replaced. I do not know the benefits of one over the other. Other than axle back is cheaper.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
JM20

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Found this from an old post (2012) courtesy of member Ronn:

Quote:

Pros of a Cat-back:
- No cutting during installation
- If installing LT and HF cats they bolt right up
- Might get a deeper sound from one with 3 inch pipes
- Maybe a 2-3hp increase if that
Cons:
- Cost

Pros of an Axle-Back:
- Cost
- You can get the sound you're looking for
Cons:
- Cutting is required
- More cutting if you're installing LT and HF cats (Not if installing shorties and Solo HFC's)

If ever you're planning on getting headers and cats, I would recommend a cat-back. As for the x pipe, people will argue that it makes a difference but typically they are a big benefit in high hp applications. You likely won't see a difference in a stock SS. Our cars already have an H pipe to balance exhaust pulses. Most catback systems have an x pipe or a variation of it.
If you're just after sound...save your coin and go for an axel-back. The two required cuts are not as bad as it sounds. And the axel-back slips over the cut and hides it, so it's not visible.
JM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM20 View Post
Found this from an old post (2012) courtesy of member Ronn:

If you're just after sound...save your coin and go for an axel-back. The two required cuts are not as bad as it sounds. And the axel-back slips over the cut and hides it, so it's not visible.
Sound is the main reason. I may add cats later down the line. However, since the Solo cat back system is 2.5" pipe (same as stock - I think), I was thinking that it was best to go with the axle back setup.