Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
First 0-60 Attempts!

I'm a novice driver. I've been taking it really easy on my SS for the last month as I got to know it. I've never gone above 3500 rpms. So what follows will no doubt bore more experienced drivers

Tonight my wife and I put the top down and drove way out onto some back roads in Mississippi. There was a lot of dust in the air because we haven't had rain in forever.

So I stopped, turned off my TC with one tap and I told my wife "on the forums, they say all I have to do is push the accelerator to 3000 rpms and then let the clutch out just like I would at any other stop sign." She said ok, and she even watched the tach with me, haha, and when I hit 3000 she said go! It was amazing! There was one chirp and we were off like a rocket. I shifted at 5000 to second and again at 5000 to third, I don't know I was around 80 at that point. We were literally cheering and hollering!

So we stopped and I tried again. This time there were two chirps from the tires, or maybe a longer chirp, and it wasn't as fast, it was pretty obvious. The next 7-8 times exact same story, two chirps, not as fast of a takeoff.

So I turned the TC on, hoping to get less spin. Honestly, as a novice, I couldn't tell the difference between TC on or off. I never double tapped it to put into competitive mode.

Here's a brief funny story. On one of my attempts my foot was heavy and I launched at 4000 rpms. Nothing happened. The car felt like it was floating, I glanced at my wife real quick and immediately noticed the smell of burnt rubber, then the car took off. That was my first burnout I guess. Not a real one like you see on YouTube. But for that 1-2 seconds the car didn't move. So no more launching at 4000 rpms. Haha. P.S. TC was off that time with one tap.

Real quick comments: my eyes had OCD and would NOT stay focused on the HUD. Ugh. Each time, like a reflex, my eyes went to the real tach. One time I got my eyes to stay on the HUD and I got scared and let off the gas at launch, resulting in a crappy launch. I need to learn to use the HUD though, because it allows amazing visibility. But I just couldn't use it effectively, and I truly depended on the tach to know when to shift.

Next comment: 0-60, or 0-80 more like, is not scary, it's not rough, it's not shaky or loud. It was very smooth. You hear a mild roar which equals 3000 rpms, then you hear a chirp, then you shift to second, ha, and it's smooth. My wife said "that's not as bad as I thought." So that's a good indication of how smooth it is. Is that a testament to the SS, or is that pretty normal?

Next, shifting was not hard or stressful. I hit 5000 and just shifted like I always do. I didn't miss, not even close, and it was fun! Shifting from second to third was my favorite!

My last attempt was my best. It was the only time since my first launch that I heard a single chirp, and then boom, off like a rocket. I smiled big, pulled over, and let my wife drive home. We had the most fun ever!
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
jwendorf47

Drives: 2013 LS3

Great story. I have yet to launch my LLT but I hope my experience is as awesome as yours was!
jwendorf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
First off...this post is against the rules but I will stay quiet .

SECOND run that thing to redline. On the speedometer there's a cheater line that shows you where to shift.

Third you can chirp her in 3rd gear

Forth...I try to launch at 3200, I'm still new at it but I am getting 13.5's
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
snaphappy

Oh schnikes, why is it against the rules? I already broke the rules once when I posted a link to a product and got myself temporarily banned!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
snaphappy

I'm still afraid to red line, I'll get there. But I'm so new to everything.

I'll do a search for the cheater line you mention, thanks!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
jwendorf47

Drives: 2013 LS3
Does said "cheater line" exist on the v6 as well?
jwendorf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Oh schnikes, why is it against the rules? I already broke the rules once when I posted a link to a product and got myself temporarily banned!
You weren't on a track. You were on regular streets lol. I don't think there are any 80 mph roads in the US with stop signs on them
Old 07-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
You weren't on a track. You were on regular streets lol. I don't think there are any 80 mph roads in the US with stop signs on them
Oh I see, there were no stop signs, I meant that I should let out the clutch like I was at any old stop sign in town. From what I read, the clutch has to be let out smooth in a race, the same way you would at a stop sign. No I was just stopping in the middle of the road. Revving and launching, then stopping and doing it again. There wasn't a stop sign for 10 miles or more. You can call it a street if you want, haha, but the only thing out there is bugs and kudzu. But no, old highway 78 is not a track! I wish I could drive on a track!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
Ieatfordsforlunch

Drives: 2008 colorado
Idk why everybody is scared to go to the redline! I did that day one in my car lol but I do baby the hell out of it most of the time. Hell I even drove it from California to Kentucky the 3rd week I had it. Anyway great story glad your enjoying your car as much as the rest of us
Ieatfordsforlunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Hitting red line won't do anything . That's why there is a limiter on them
Old 07-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #11
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Oh I see, there were no stop signs, I meant that I should let out the clutch like I was at any old stop sign in town. From what I read, the clutch has to be let out smooth in a race, the same way you would at a stop sign. No I was just stopping in a private lot that is closed off with gaurd railing and privacy fencing. Revving and launching, then stopping and doing it again. There wasn't a stop sign for 10 miles or more. You can call it a private road if you want, haha, but the only thing out there is bugs and kudzu. But no, old friends lot is similar to a track! I wish I could drive on a track!
Fixed lol.

Great story though, I've done similar in my auto with st and tc off.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 AM   #12
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
Fixed lol.

Great story though, I've done similar in my auto with st and tc off.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
HorsePower-Freak

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS M6
Like reading a romance novel....for men!
HorsePower-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
Great story, these cars are so much fun to drive. I just can't get enough, it makes me giggle like a little girl whenever i get on it (off road ofcourse lol).
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote