Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
DCJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Bought the V6 2LT RS and have questions...

Seeing a V6 vs V8 thread earlier has made me think a lot more about the differences. I of course have the 2LT RS Silver Ice and love it!!!!!!. Still though I would not mind having the V8. Really never thought it would be an issue. I chose the V6 due to it having plenty of power(300+HP) and having great gas mileage. Also I liked the clean front end look. Would I be totally insane to trade up to the V8 at this point having only 500 miles on my Beauty? Anyone elso have this thought? I am torn but love the thought of sticker being under 30K, cheaper insurance, and the better gas mileage. Now being a 33 year old male....I am wondering if my human instinct to want more power I don't need is starting to creep out. Thoughts anyone??? I of course would like to have both....my wife take the V6 and then I get a V8, but that has been squashed..lol. Not happening. The wife and my logic says be content but the greed says trade it in on the V8 now....help??

Thanks,

Don
Madison, Mississippi
Old 06-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
smitty912

Drives: 2007 G6 GT
That's what modding is for.

Keep in mind this is a pretty new car and most aftermarket companies are just getting their hands on the Camaro. Naturally they're doing mainly performance mods for the V8's now, but the V6 mods are sure enough starting to trickle in.

Granted a 6.2L LS3 has more potential than the 3.6L, but I'm not sure that you're really shooting for 500rwhp. Depending on how much power you really want would determine the route you should go. If you want a pretty damn quick 12-13 sec car, I'd stay stick with the V6 and keep all the benefits you seem to love about it and go ahead and mod it to satisfy your powerbug. I think it'd be possible to get those times with a nicely modded V6 once the aftermarket catches up

On the other hand, if you're looking for an 11 second car, with the potential for more, go ahead and get the SS.

Normally I would not suggest trading in the car you just got, because there will ALWAYS be something better coming out and it would be an endless pursuit. But with the Camaro being new, I see no reason you wouldn't be able to get most of the value back for your car, especially if you sell it privately on ebay or something.
smitty912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
go test drive an ss don. that should help make your decision. by the way, i live in deerfield. you know, at the gluckstadt exit. you have got to be one of the first camaros in the jackson area. gonna try to get one by the end of the year. kind of debating on the ss vs. v6 too.
camarohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarohead View Post
go test drive an ss don. that should help make your decision. by the way, i live in deerfield. you know, at the gluckstadt exit. you have got to be one of the first camaros in the jackson area. gonna try to get one by the end of the year. kind of debating on the ss vs. v6 too.
Hey man, that is too cool. I am not far from ya. Live over in Cypress Lake Sub in Madison. The bad thing is finding a dealer that will let you test drive the V8. I love everything about this car but for some reason the V8 was in the back of my mind. I think it is a greed and power thing...lol Need for my logic to get back on track...lol I will say the the V6 will go and know it's all I need. I am really hoping to talk the wife into driving it and then I will order a V8. It only has 500 miles on her now

Don
Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty912 View Post
That's what modding is for.

Keep in mind this is a pretty new car and most aftermarket companies are just getting their hands on the Camaro. Naturally they're doing mainly performance mods for the V8's now, but the V6 mods are sure enough starting to trickle in.

Granted a 6.2L LS3 has more potential than the 3.6L, but I'm not sure that you're really shooting for 500rwhp. Depending on how much power you really want would determine the route you should go. If you want a pretty damn quick 12-13 sec car, I'd stay stick with the V6 and keep all the benefits you seem to love about it and go ahead and mod it to satisfy your powerbug. I think it'd be possible to get those times with a nicely modded V6 once the aftermarket catches up

On the other hand, if you're looking for an 11 second car, with the potential for more, go ahead and get the SS.

Normally I would not suggest trading in the car you just got, because there will ALWAYS be something better coming out and it would be an endless pursuit. But with the Camaro being new, I see no reason you wouldn't be able to get most of the value back for your car, especially if you sell it privately on ebay or something.

Thanks for the imput and well said. That is the thing. I am not looking to race anyone. I think it is mental. Just knowing I have the V8 and I also wonder if the V8 would retain its value better later down the road. Other than that, I love the V6. Put it this way....if the V8 was 304 HP...I would be fine. This tells me it is 100% mental...lol Tough choice here ugh
Old 06-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
camarohead

yea you are close. cool. i dont know if any of these dealerships around here have any v-8s yet. but you should not have any problems test driving one especially driving up in one and telling them your dilemma. convince the wife though,lol. when i get mine, we will have to get together sometime.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarohead View Post
yea you are close. cool. i dont know if any of these dealerships around here have any v-8s yet. but you should not have any problems test driving one especially driving up in one and telling them your dilemma. convince the wife though,lol. when i get mine, we will have to get together sometime.

Cool...keep in touch! Shoot me a PM. Let me know what you decide. What ever model you get, you will love it! By far the coolest car I have ever been in or seen. I may call the dealership tomorrow and see what they would do if I traded up to the V8 since mine only has 500 miles on her.

Don
Old 06-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
camarohead

ok cool. gotta go. see ya
Old 06-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
It is hard to say. How much are you going to get for the trade on the car. Are you going to loose money switching. You know what they say. As soon as you drive off the lot the car depreciates in value. I would have taken more time researching the 2 before buying. Unless you could sell it privately for the amount you paid or more. Then I would switch to a SS. I think that is what you want anyway and just settled for the LT.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
jdbaker82
Banned

Drives: None
I am in a situation torn between the V6 and V8 as well.... I recently was laid off and no longer have a company vehicle so now I need one.... My pocket and common sense tell me the smartest thing to do would be stick with the V6 for better gas mileage and cheaper insurance but deep down I have always loved fast cars and V8s and know myself enough that I would regret "settling" for the V6.

On the other side of things I rented a V6 Camaro for the weekend and went down to Ocean City, MD and I loved everything about the car. I just loved driving it period regardless of how fast it was... Smooth great handling and felt like plenty of power.....

I truly do not know what to do and I recently put in a order at a dealership for a 1SS but am having second thoughts on going to a 1LT.
jdbaker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbaker82 View Post
I am in a situation torn between the V6 and V8 as well.... I recently was laid off and no longer have a company vehicle so now I need one.... My pocket and common sense tell me the smartest thing to do would be stick with the V6 for better gas mileage and cheaper insurance but deep down I have always loved fast cars and V8s and know myself enough that I would regret "settling" for the V6.

On the other side of things I rented a V6 Camaro for the weekend and went down to Ocean City, MD and I loved everything about the car. I just loved driving it period regardless of how fast it was... Smooth great handling and felt like plenty of power.....

I truly do not know what to do and I recently put in a order at a dealership for a 1SS but am having second thoughts on going to a 1LT.

Check this out.....this should help you. I am quite proud to own the V6 Although I am still getting the V8 too. It will not be a daily like the V6 is for my wife or I. The V6 is the ultimate if you are actually going to drive daily

http://microsite.chevrolet.com/allne...#camaro=videos 6th video on bottom right

Last edited by DCJ; 06-21-2009 at 09:03 AM.
DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:05 AM   #12
jdbaker82
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ View Post
Check this out.....this should help you. I am quite proud to own the V6 Although I am still getting the V8 too. It will not be a daily like the V6 is for my wife or I. The V6 is the ultimate if you are actually going to drive daily

http://microsite.chevrolet.com/allne...#camaro=videos
I checked it out... I am stubborn and won't be convinced that I will be just as happy with the V6 because I know myself too well.....I might be happy for awhile because its a new car and I enjoy it but within 6 months to a year I know I would regret it and want the SS
Old 06-21-2009, 02:06 AM   #13
jdbaker82
Banned

In fact if I really think about it I always told myself for example I would never own a mustang "unless" it was the V8 because I always thought of the other ones as "girly cars"
Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbaker82 View Post
I checked it out... I am stubborn and won't be convinced that I will be just as happy with the V6 because I know myself too well.....I might be happy for awhile because its a new car and I enjoy it but within 6 months to a year I know I would regret it and want the SS

To each his own man and I don't fault you for it. I just am not and will not drive the V8 everyday when there is something better still with V8ish power and cheaper. Think about all the miles I am going to rack up on the V6...so you calculate that back to under 30K and great gas mileage. To me no brainer as a daily.

Soooo I like it so much and would like to have the extra power to play in(not as a daily), I am getting a V8

I would suggest checking out the V8 forum I think you will find that you don't have to debate anyone and beat up on any dead horses ...lol No girly V6 engines over there either....

When my V8 arrives.....I will split the difference with the V6 and V8 forums becasue I like both very much

Last edited by DCJ; 06-21-2009 at 09:20 AM.
DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote