Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
UAW Killing Big 3?

I have been doing alot of reading on this and it looks like the unions are what are killing the big 3. Being down here in Alabama we have a few car plants and they make around 30.00 an hour for a worker. Most of the non union auto plants in the USA are paying 30-40 an hour. Seems pretty good to me.

But the UAW is charging 75.00 an hour to the big 3. Can anyone see the problem here? I would think people would rather make 40.00 an hour and know they will have a job and their company will survive than making 75.00 an hour and lots of layoffs and really not much job security.

And if the big 3 do not file bankruptcy they can't get out of these contracts. I would say file now and come out a leaner meaner company that can make it. Bailouts are not going to make the companys survive since they are still going to have to pay high union wages.

I do not want this to be a pissing match, but what do you guys and gals think on this? I want my Camaro but at the rate it is going GM may not be around to build it.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
AZZ28

Drives: '05 Thunderbird
I agree...100 %. They are no longer relevant and are no longer watching out for the worker, but rather padding the union's pocket. Arizona is a right-to-work state, which means NO ONE can be forced to join a union. The union came into the resort where my wife's worked for over 30 years. She tried to warn the workers that the union wouldn't keep their promise, but many didn't listen. And now, the workers are finding out the union has moved on and all they're left with is union dues and no benefits...andthey still have their contract with the union that they have to fulfill...I have NEVER been a fan of unions - they have long since served their purpose.
AZZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
As much as I agree with you, GM should not take the easy way out and honor the contracts they signed. I say give them the money they're asking for provided they can prove that this will solve their problems in the long run. You don't want them coming back in a year and asking for another $20 billion.

Last edited by Croathlete; 11-13-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I have been doing alot of reading on this and it looks like the unions are what are killing the big 3. Being down here in Alabama we have a few car plants and they make around 30.00 an hour for a worker. Most of the non union auto plants in the USA are paying 30-40 an hour. Seems pretty good to me.

But the UAW is charging 75.00 an hour to the big 3. Can anyone see the problem here? I would think people would rather make 40.00 an hour and know they will have a job and their company will survive than making 75.00 an hour and lots of layoffs and really not much job security.

And if the big 3 do not file bankruptcy they can't get out of these contracts. I would say file now and come out a leaner meaner company that can make it. Bailouts are not going to make the companys survive since they are still going to have to pay high union wages.

I do not want this to be a pissing match, but what do you guys and gals think on this? I want my Camaro but at the rate it is going GM may not be around to build it.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
. The employees are going to have to make up their minds. They have to see whats happening. It's come down to what you've stated. Keep making what you are now an run the very strong risk of lossing everything or take a cut in pay an keep the company running, but also, lets add that the people at the top (the suits) have to tighten their belts too, not just the line workers. Just think how many workers you could save by cutting from the highest paid at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post

Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I agree with that greatly. Suits have to take pay cuts also.

Personally I think there should be a law that the top dogs at a company can not make any more than 10x the pay of their lowest paid employee.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
the reason i don't like the bailout for automakers is because the UAW will be all over it; a lot will go to the union and less will go to helping the automakers. that and the new proposal of open ballot union voting makes me weary of this whole situation
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
^ LOAN!
not bailout. They have to pay it back with interest.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
bcannan354

Drives: 1968 Camaro
Don't get me started on Unions.
bcannan354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
^ LOAN!

warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
whatever it is, UAW should not get their hands on it; they need to pay workers a market wage and benefits, which are pretty d--m good already
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
^ LOAN!
Potato...Patatah. "Loan" just sounds better than "Bailout" plain and simple. There is nothing stated in the definition of "bailout" that implies it's money that never has to be paid back. In my opinion, the term bailout is more applicable because the Big 3 cannot secure loan anywhere else...it's government to the rescue or bust.

The real issue is whether an infusion of capital will save them and whether another $25 billion is enough or if it's just the foot-in-the-door technique where they keep asking for "a little" multiple times rather than one big chunk at once where most people would likely balk. Look at AIG..."We need $85 billion (Sept. 16th)...yeah...that will set things right. No wait, that's just not enough...now we need another $37.8 billion (Oct. 8th)...yeah, that will do it for sure. Wait...we still need more money...how about $20.9 billion (Oct. 31) for now. Crap, sorry...if we could just get a little more...perhaps $40 billion (Nov. 11th...looks like)." If they had stated up front that they needed well over $150 billion, then they might not have gotten the money. But, once they got their foot-in-the-door and the government committed to "saving them," then it is easy to keep getting more money. Why? Because if AIG failed, the government would appear to have wasted all that money. The government is basically honoring sunk costs (Dawes, 2001); they are in too deep to back out now.

What if each year, as individuals, we had to allocate what percent of our taxes would go to which programs. For example, some people might allocate 40% military, 20% homeland security, 40% infrastructure, or whatever while others would chose to support different programs. This might make the statement "government by the people" a bit more salient.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
bigralph

Drives: 2001 v6 Camaro
I like how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
Potato...Patatah. "Loan" just sounds better than "Bailout" plain and simple. There is nothing stated in the definition of "bailout" that implies it's money that never has to be paid back. In my opinion, the term bailout is more applicable because the Big 3 cannot secure loan anywhere else...it's government to the rescue or bust.

The real issue is whether an infusion of capital will save them and whether another $25 billion is enough or if it's just the foot-in-the-door technique where they keep asking for "a little" multiple times rather than one big chunk at once where most people would likely balk. Look at AIG..."We need $85 billion (Sept. 16th)...yeah...that will set things right. No wait, that's just not enough...now we need another $37.8 billion (Oct. 8th)...yeah, that will do it for sure. Wait...we still need more money...how about $20.9 billion (Oct. 31) for now. Crap, sorry...if we could just get a little more...perhaps $40 billion (Nov. 11th...looks like)." If they had stated up front that they needed well over $150 billion, then they might not have gotten the money. But, once they got their foot-in-the-door and the government committed to "saving them," then it is easy to keep getting more money. Why? Because if AIG failed, the government would appear to have wasted all that money. The government is basically honoring sunk costs (Dawes, 2001); they are in too deep to back out now.

What if each year, as individuals, we had to allocate what percent of our taxes would go to which programs. For example, some people might allocate 40% military, 20% homeland security, 40% infrastructure, or whatever while others would chose to support different programs. This might make the statement "government by the people" a bit more salient.
bigralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
whatever it is, UAW should not get their hands on it; they need to pay workers a market wage and benefits, which are pretty d--m good already
exactly. the UAW is raping GM/Ford/Chrysler and putting themselves right out of a job while they are at it.