Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #29
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #30
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Looks good. You can drive the car as soon as you get done with the install. I recommend you take your time and be patient with the process. Make sure your slip[ solution is correct... and maybe add an extra tea spoon of soap so that it will minimize works marks and also allow you to lift the film up again. It will take a few times on the bumper to get it right.

Good luck with the install and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Oh... start with the hood, then fenders, then the upper bumper and finally the lower bumper. it allows the water to drain down without keeping the lower film wet during the process. It will cut your install time down and allow you to heat seal the edges quicker. Use a hairdryer for that...
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #31
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Wow, I would be scared to install that myself.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #32
2032Ceta

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2009 Nissan Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Wow, I would be scared to install that myself.
Yup, I'm a little apprehensive but I watched the video numerous times and with the tips from HTP Autoworks and viper1cobra I think I can do it. Like I said earlier patience is the key. The hardest part will be the front bumper because it is so big.

Thanks for the pointers...going to start in a few minutes...
2032Ceta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #33
2032Ceta

Well started...the video that came with the kit states that there is three parts to the sheet. the Cap sheet, actual film and the white backing. Mine does not have the Cap sheet. Whats up with that. Did they send me some other type of clearbra? Anyway, I have completed the hood and have a few small bubbles. Will these go away in time? Also, where the sheet meets up with the stripes, it is hard to keep it down. Any suggestions? Hairdryer?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #34
2032Ceta

Well, got the hood, fender and lights done. Did not like how it made my flat black stripes shine. Looked like Sh%t so I removed them from the hood and fenders. I will be putting the front upper and lower bumper on once I get some scratches fixed. Apparently when they had the front bumper off for the GFX install they rubbed it on the cement. I have some scratches in the upper bumper above the bow tie. Hopefully they can be buffed out. They look like they are only in the clear coat. When i do the bumpers I will modify the ends so it doesn't go over the lower part of the hockey stripe.

Putting the kit on wasn't hard, just need lots and lots and lots of patience and a whole bunch of soap solution. I also noticed my lower bumper clearbra is two pieces. Does that sound right.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #35
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

yes it should be two pieces... it would be very difficult for you to do it in one shot. I would have told you not to even try the hood had I known you had the flat black stripes. You have to adjust the hood piece to go around the stripes so that you are covered except for the stripes. Difficult to do but I could have helped you out tommorow since I will be in the area doing some installs.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #36
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary H50 2SS
Sorry to hear that you did not like the hood and fenders. On my car I have Gloss Black Stripes, so they do not seem any shinier than before.

Good luck with the rest of the car. I hope that you are able to work out the problems. Any protection is better than no protection. Hopefully HTP Autoworks will be able to help you fix your hood and front fenders.

How was the overall experience for you? If more people attempted this on their own, maybe the companies that do this all the time will reduce their install prices.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. i am sorry that I was not able to provide input, I was out of State over the weekend and no Internet. I am happy to hear that you finally got the project started.
viper1cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #37
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

I still have not had a chance to post the pictures of the Roof and A-Pillars yet. I will try to get them up this week.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #38
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Cool, keep us posted.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #39
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Wow, you have a ton of guts taking this on and I congratulate you for a job well done. Looks great. Awesome results for someone who has never done it before. Now practice 1 more time on someone else's car to perfect the installation then you can start charging $$!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #40
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

It does get easier the longer you work. I don't know of anyone in the area that will let me use their car for practice. My installation is no perfect but it does provide the results that I was looking for.

The install does require at least 2 people to perform, especially on the bumper pieces as large as they are.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #41
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Wow, you have a ton of guts taking this on and I congratulate you for a job well done. Looks great. Awesome results for someone who has never done it before. Now practice 1 more time on someone else's car to perfect the installation then you can start charging $$!
I dont know if I want to quit my day job to explore this for $$$. Maybe a side job, but there is not a big demand for this type of work right now.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #42
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1cobra View Post
I dont know if I want to quit my day job to explore this for $$$. Maybe a side job, but there is not a big demand for this type of work right now.
Well I have to disagree with you in this one. There is a large demand for clear bras... my work load reflects it. Just about all of the high end cars these days will get one. And since people are more into buying a car andd hanging on to it for longer it has created mroe of a demand. You loose a lot of money buying and selling cars so it seems like more and more people want to buy a nice car and hang on to it. If they want to keep it looking good longer then this is the best option there is out there. I guess some of it depends on where you are located... but overall its a great market. Ahh the other thing is all of the new enviornmental laws are not allowing companies to use a lot of the hardeners they were using 10 years ago... so paint is softer and chips more easily. This goes for just about any car out there and even Harley Davidsons...