Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #29
dagolfguy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
That is true! There are other things to considering adding a CAI... Looks and sound are factors too!
You said it. I pre-ordered the CAI inc unit based on nothing more than the pictures of the V8 unit. But, since I ordered the entire car based on nothing more than pictures I guess that's fitting.
dagolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #30
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer78 View Post
I have both and I would be torn between the two. However, prior to installing my CAI, I installed a Solo Performance Mach-X catback on my LS3, which added a little more power and bad a** sound. When I installed the Airaid CAI, my LS3 turned into a whole new engine! Seriously, this engine came alive and sounds scary at WOT! Makes my palms sweat.

Even on your V6 you'll see a tremendous increase in performance with a catback/CAI combo.
define "tremendous"?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #31
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Exhaust is definitely number 1 on my list but....whatever I get with this money has to come from West Coast Camaro or the cost comes out of my pocket. They've got an axle-back kit from Bassani but it's for the LS3 and Bassani said they currently don't have plans for a V6 kit. I did consider just getting the LS3 kit and getting it installed on my V6 with some sort of 2.25" to 2.5" adapter but I'm still leaning towards the cat-back from SOLO or maybe MBRP.

Ugh, why is it so hard to choose how to spend someone else's money?
Yeah im going towards the Solo exhaust too, Screamings exhaust sound great and definitly is great considering the price, but the Solo exhaust sounds beefy. I say go for the intake!
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #32
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
define "tremendous"?
Tremendous: fearful, particularly large/enormous, marvelous, wonderful

-
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #33
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer78 View Post
Tremendous: fearful, particularly large/enormous, marvelous, wonderful

-
Ok... well then that's not the kind of gains you are going to get from an exhaust and a CAI with this car... I think tremendous will possibly come with the release of a tuner...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #34
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
I don't see the big advantage of Catback vs. Axle back. The circumference of the pipes can be expanded and you can elimiante the H tube with a X, but is there THAT much more benefit from these changes ?? I'd think the axle back does plenty to save the extra cost of a catback.

... And as far as short throw vs. CAI, definitely CAI. I have a short throw on my list too, but the CAI was higher priority and I'm glad for it. See a power and mpg increase. MPG seems only a bit (city was 19 - 20, now seems more 20 - 22; Hwy was 27-30, now more consistently 30) but every little bit helps and for the increase in power PLUS a tad mpg increase, it's worth it.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #35
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calflan View Post
I don't see the big advantage of Catback vs. Axle back. The circumference of the pipes can be expanded and you can elimiante the H tube with a X, but is there THAT much more benefit from these changes ?? I'd think the axle back does plenty to save the extra cost of a catback.

... And as far as short throw vs. CAI, definitely CAI. I have a short throw on my list too, but the CAI was higher priority and I'm glad for it. See a power and mpg increase. MPG seems only a bit (city was 19 - 20, now seems more 20 - 22; Hwy was 27-30, now more consistently 30) but every little bit helps and for the increase in power PLUS a tad mpg increase, it's worth it.
The only reasons I've seen/heard/read so far for going with a cat-back vs. axle-back is sound quality and drone. The cat-back systems usually eliminate the stock resonators and replace them with pipe, replace the stock H-pipe connection with an X-pipe, and usually but not always (Solo Performance) bump up the pipe diameter from 2.25" to 2.5". It seems odd to change the pipe diameter considering the pipes leading from the manifolds to the stock H-pipe are only 2.25" and that's what the cat-back pipes connect to. Bigger pipes don't equal better exhaust gas scavenging unless the stock pipes were undersized (which at 2.25", they aren't for the power of the V6).

I am planning on doing something with the exhaust and am starting to wonder if getting the CAI now would be a better in the long term. The Hurst shifter would be fun but provides no tangible gains in performance or fuel economy.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #36
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
The only reasons I've seen/heard/read so far for going with a cat-back vs. axle-back is sound quality and drone. The cat-back systems usually eliminate the stock resonators and replace them with pipe, replace the stock H-pipe connection with an X-pipe, and usually but not always (Solo Performance) bump up the pipe diameter from 2.25" to 2.5". It seems odd to change the pipe diameter considering the pipes leading from the manifolds to the stock H-pipe are only 2.25" and that's what the cat-back pipes connect to. Bigger pipes don't equal better exhaust gas scavenging unless the stock pipes were undersized (which at 2.25", they aren't for the power of the V6).

I am planning on doing something with the exhaust and am starting to wonder if getting the CAI now would be a better in the long term. The Hurst shifter would be fun but provides no tangible gains in performance or fuel economy.

You're right, I forget the resonators under the belly as well. So a catback does in fact pull two sets of resonators and add a muffler or resonator in the back .. which will also decrease backpressure, but still worth the expense between a catback and axle back ??? I tend to think not.

Given the call between a CAI and exhaust, I'd probably lean toward CAI as well. Seems more 'felt' power increase for the driver but I say that not having an exhaust system, so not a fair call.

The shifter, as you point out, fun but no gains.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #37
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Anyone put the Hurst short throw in a V6 yet?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #38
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Get the CAI, you will enjoy it more then a new shifter. Just a word of caution, you thought your foot was heavy before, wait till you get a little more power under the hood.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #39
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I vote for the shifter, personally.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote