Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
bkkendrick

Drives: 2010 camaro 1lt RS Red
everyone with paint chips must read this!

ok so i have a 1lt rs in victory red and i live in pennsylvania. my car is garrage kept and i have never driven the car in the snow but i have driven on roads a day or two after they are plowed and cleared but in this state they cinder the road. so we finally started getting nice days here in Pa and i decided to spend a day and detail the car. i power washed the car after i got of work around 10 in the dark and the next morning i went out to wax her up. lets just say my heart skiped a couple beats when i got to the side gills. this is no lie i have ATLEAST 150 very deep and noticable stone chips on the passanger side and even more on the drivers side. So i dropped everything hopped into the car and raced to my local chevy dealer. when i showed the shop manager the EXCESSIVE damage done to the paint he took my info and his paint shop manager take pics. he then told me that he had to do a little reasearch to see if this becoming an issue and to see if they could cover it under warrenty. when the service manager went back inside i asked the paint manager if he felt that gm would take care of it under warranty he said i think they will because of the excessive damage and ive only had the car 6 months and have 10k miles. so........ they are soposed to call me with the answer tomorrow. so as i was leaving the dealership i decided id go home and finish what i started and get wax job done. WELL i got to the rims which are the 20in midnight silver metallic and they are every bit as chipped up as the gills are so im very upset and im not talking just 1 rim im saying all 4...iave not 1 single scratch or a scuff on any of my rims but they are so jacked up. what would you do? if they agree to fix the paint on the gill section of the car under warranty would you ask them about fixing the rims aswell? i am going to get the 3m clear bra for the sides of the car i got a price quote of 570 bux installed. would you question them about maybe helping out on the price of the clear bra aswell? i feel that this is a flaw in the design and the invisabra should come factory to prevent the excessive damage. i will post pics tomorrow but ill warn you now they are horiffic.
Attached Images

bkkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
bkkendrick

all those white specs on the gills arnt dirt save the photo and zoom in for a closer look i will post the rims tomorrow
Old 03-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
ouch, I hope they fix it for ya... 3M is def one of my first mods especially with all the trucks throwin rocks on the highways here

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkendrick View Post
ok so i have a 1lt rs in victory red and i live in pennsylvania. my car is garrage kept and i have never driven the car in the snow but i have driven on roads a day or two after they are plowed and cleared but in this state they cinder the road. so we finally started getting nice days here in Pa and i decided to spend a day and detail the car. i power washed the car after i got of work around 10 in the dark and the next morning i went out to wax her up. lets just say my heart skiped a couple beats when i got to the side gills. this is no lie i have ATLEAST 150 very deep and noticable stone chips on the passanger side and even more on the drivers side. So i dropped everything hopped into the car and raced to my local chevy dealer. when i showed the shop manager the EXCESSIVE damage done to the paint he took my info and his paint shop manager take pics. he then told me that he had to do a little reasearch to see if this becoming an issue and to see if they could cover it under warrenty. when the service manager went back inside i asked the paint manager if he felt that gm would take care of it under warranty he said i think they will because of the excessive damage and ive only had the car 6 months and have 10k miles. so........ they are soposed to call me with the answer tomorrow. so as i was leaving the dealership i decided id go home and finish what i started and get wax job done. WELL i got to the rims which are the 20in midnight silver metallic and they are every bit as chipped up as the gills are so im very upset and im not talking just 1 rim im saying all 4...iave not 1 single scratch or a scuff on any of my rims but they are so jacked up. what would you do? if they agree to fix the paint on the gill section of the car under warranty would you ask them about fixing the rims aswell? i am going to get the 3m clear bra for the sides of the car i got a price quote of 570 bux installed. would you question them about maybe helping out on the price of the clear bra aswell? i feel that this is a flaw in the design and the invisabra should come factory to prevent the excessive damage. i will post pics tomorrow but ill warn you now they are horiffic.
if the state 'cinders" the roads as you explained,then i would think your "fight" is with them,and not the general!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 AM   #5
Coldpants
Nerdy one

Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
I don't see anything in your pic but if your car is that jacked up you may have manufacturing problem. I drove all winter and only suffered a suspicious mark on my trunk and a small chip on the nose.
Coldpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
bkkendrick

yea but if the general would have protected them hips a little more their paint would still be intact how hard would it be for them to put the 3m their? i talked to a shop in carlisle that installs them and they told me to push the issue of the 3m because they had a chevrolet dealer in their area that was constantly sending them trail blazers with excessive paint chips all in the rear and they covered the price. i mean im know that my beauty isnt going to stay perfect forever and a chip hear and their is going to happen no matter how hard you try but this is crazy the car isnt even a year old and its falling appart. imagine what those gills will look like at 50k miles unfixed and un protected. forget getting a decent trade in price on that z28 in 2012
Old 03-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
bkkendrick

Attached Images

Old 03-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
bkkendrick

every spoke on every rim looks that bad even front anyone elses rims look that bad? ive never scratched them and never cliped a curb. ive looked at cars with 70k miles on them and they dont look this bad. is it the paint gm uses or something this is un acceptable for 10k
Old 03-19-2010, 03:59 AM   #9
mmongi7

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Send a message via AIM to mmongi7
I hope that you get this fixed under warranty. I'm curious if they do because this has happened to me as well, and I'd really like to get it fixed as well. It's dumb how much it chips in this area.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
tjmac49

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, IBM, L99
bkkendrick: Wow. That's allot of chipping. If GM was to pay for a repair of your paint, that would be an awesome outcome for you. I would not even hope that they would help pay for the purchase of the 3M protection; in their mind, they have fixed the problem. Good Luck.
tjmac49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
wow... I had to fix a hand full of chips on the gills last summer... I haven't looked really close since winter started... not sure I want to now! Ugh...

The mention of the trailblazer.... when I bought my H3, the dealership charged me for mud flaps... now they were expensive and looked good but when I asked, they told me they refused to sell an H3 without them because they had gotten so many complaints about the stone chips from people that didn't have mud flaps, they simply started putting them on all of them...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
This is going to ba a HUGE issue as time goes on. I too have some chips and I don't drive mine if its raining out or when there is snow or salt/sand on the roads. I just can't believe Chevy let this happen. It is going to put a big dent in the huge profits they are making on the Camaros. In my past experience, powdercoating is extremely brittle and has no business on a car. JMHO
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27930
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52958
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69494
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71904

Last edited by ROD1; 03-19-2010 at 08:00 AM.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #13
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
if the state 'cinders" the roads as you explained,then i would think your "fight" is with them,and not the general!

..............EXACTLY

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I don't know what "cinders" are but it sounds like the black beauty sand blasting media I used to use. Very angular tiny particles with sharp edges. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.