Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Can you PM me a price on the LT1-S.

If you don't mind, I would like to get a price on just the parts as well as parts + install with remote clutch bleeder in case I decide not to tackle the install.

Just got a set of DR's the other day. My stock clutch might be on limited time once the season starts back up.

Also, the lighter flywheel....I guess the advantage there is to make the car faster because there is less rotating weight???
I just shot it to you. The pricing, installed, is less than most of the competitions units by themselves.

And if you're not happy with it we'll buy it back.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #30
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Can you PM me a price on the LT1-S.

If you don't mind, I would like to get a price on just the parts as well as parts + install with remote clutch bleeder in case I decide not to tackle the install.

Just got a set of DR's the other day. My stock clutch might be on limited time once the season starts back up.

Also, the lighter flywheel....I guess the advantage there is to make the car faster because there is less rotating weight???
You owe it to yourself to drive to Haslett and check out their operation. Quite impressive. I have spent some time down there and i have to drive 2 hrs to get there. No one but SNL/Monster touches my car.....except for Pete and Pedders that is

Steve, you about ready for the next round? May have you slap in the new Gforce 1500hp 31 spline outlaw axles while im down there. could do it in the driveway on my jack stands but why????
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
Old 12-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #31
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch View Post
I just shot it to you. The pricing, installed, is less than most of the competitions units by themselves.

And if you're not happy with it we'll buy it back.

For a twin disc that's a good price. I'm going to be watching this thread to see more feedback but it all sounds good to me.

At the moment my mod fund is empty. I just cleaned it out buying some 18" DR's and some headers/suspension parts for my '69. My stock clutch is holding at the moment but come next March when it's track time again these DR's might do the clutch in after a few runs.

This setup looks like top of my list right now.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 12-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #32
caverman

Just for my understanding since this setup I'm really interested in....this is a twin disc clutch out of a C7 and by C7 you mean C7 Corvette? You've come up with a custom flywheel that will allow it to bolt up to the C5 Camaro M6 trans and that flywheel happens to be lighter than the stock C5 Camaro flywheel?

Assuming C7 Corvette is correct, how is it they can handle up to 650 HP (I assume that's crank HP and not RWHP) when the C7 LT-1 is going to be around 450 HP? Did GM make the clutch that much better?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 12-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #33
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Just for my understanding since this setup I'm really interested in....this is a twin disc clutch out of a C7 and by C7 you mean C7 Corvette? You've come up with a custom flywheel that will allow it to bolt up to the C5 Camaro M6 trans and that flywheel happens to be lighter than the stock C5 Camaro flywheel?

Assuming C7 Corvette is correct, how is it they can handle up to 650 HP (I assume that's crank HP and not RWHP) when the C7 LT-1 is going to be around 450 HP? Did GM make the clutch that much better?
In short, yes to all of your questions.

This clutch is acutally an improved version of what was used in the ZL1 Camaro/CTSV which makes a bit more power than the C7 Corvette.

Now, our SC and R packages are modified versions of what the factory C7 runs, this is why they will hold more power.

All of our ratings are to the rear tires.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #34
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
You owe it to yourself to drive to Haslett and check out their operation. Quite impressive. I have spent some time down there and i have to drive 2 hrs to get there. No one but SNL/Monster touches my car.....except for Pete and Pedders that is

Steve, you about ready for the next round? May have you slap in the new Gforce 1500hp 31 spline outlaw axles while im down there. could do it in the driveway on my jack stands but why????
Thanks Jim!

We're just about ready in the performance shop for your next go-round, it'll still be January though.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #35
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
so do any members have one in their personal car yet?? If so how do you like it?
-CAI cold air intake (black)/Apex scoop
-LSR shifter
-Rick Crawford intake manifold
-Monster level 3 clutch
Old 12-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #36
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 View Post
so do any members have one in their personal car yet?? If so how do you like it?
I will soon. Bad weather delayed it a bit. Once I install it, I have to finish my turbo install, do some break in driving, get it tuned, then beat on it some.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #37
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 View Post
Quite a few have been put in the 5th Gen Camaros, here's a link to one of my customers that just installed his - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post7249270 - he loves it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
I will soon. Bad weather delayed it a bit. Once I install it, I have to finish my turbo install, do some break in driving, get it tuned, then beat on it some.
I hear you man, we've been closed since last Thursday from this ice storm that hit us, we're way behind!!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #38
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

I've had a few guys ask me what's the difference between this unit and the LS9 that plagued so many of you with issues...

Below is a brief synapse. Contact me directly if you want more information - suffice it to say this unit is far, far superior in every way.

There are many, many differences in the clutches. The LS9 setup is terrible, plain and simple. We received those before the LS9 cars actually released to "test" and back then we told them they were junk.

The main reason for failure on the LS9 units is the complete lack of rigidity in the setup. There is no "shell" to hold the internal components together, period. It's all done internally and the diaphragm is riveted over the top of the assembly and it is those rivets that hold the clutch together. The flex and distortion in the unit causes numerous failures, namely they fly a part when abused. Those rivets are prone to snap off because they're being asked to support/hold things together that it was never intended to. The heavy discs pose another problem. The lack of plate load and overall lack of ability to hold tolerances when it's being put under a load cause the other issues that plague the unit. Those are what cause release issues and soft pedal issues. This is the exact reason we never got on board with this unit - ever.

When you compare this to the LT1 units you can clearly see that from the start, it's a covered pressure plate assembly. The reason this is the most common of all pressure plates is that it's the most durable. All aftermarket manufacturers of clutch components will tell you that. Further, the vastly improved SAC setup allows this unit to not only last longer and keep the pedal at the same position throughout the life of the unit, it also allows for a lighter pedal without using an inferior pressure plate design. I go into detail on this in another post on this forum.

The riveting and internal structure from the LT1 twin is robust and well thought out, there are T rivets on the floater that keep high rpm release issues at bay, there are also pivot rivets that assist in making sure that all the tolerances are held throughout the operation of the unit - this was vastly overlooked in the LS9.

The lift and release, bearing load, and plate load are all better suited for the newer hydraulics - and are all better/improved over the LS9 setup. The pedal stop that is build into the cover assembly keeps high rpm shift issues at bay as well as protects the slave cylinders from over-extension, this is a common problem with the 5th Gen Camaros.

I could go on and on, call me if you want more details.

Some of you were concerned that we were not on this forum when these things were failing and that we might not know what's going on.

See below -

As far as having issues prior to us being on this forum we've been building clutches for GM cars since 2006, that's when the testing, etc. started for Monster. I released them to the public in October of 2008 and have sold thousands upon thousands of units, worldwide, since then. Because of this, and the fact that I'm a very hands on owner, it allows me to maintain a position at the forefront of clutch technology and the reason for my vast knowledge base of the internal workings of a clutch, the math behind it, the coefficient of friction information and formulas, etc. that goes into building these. I'm involved in every single facet of what's done here - from the machining, to the materials my clutches are getting built with, I keep a close eye on all of it.

That said, I'm fully aware of the in's and out's of the GM clutch system, namely factory OEM products, as we design all of our units to function with them. I'm also very educated in what my competitors sell to stay on the leading edge. That said the latest hype for clutches is multi disc units. We were late to the table on these for numerous reasons, mainly because I'm just not a fan of them. They're an unnecessary setup that everyone is buying into, but, I understand times do change.

For a clutch company to offer a modified version of a factory piece is not uncommon. For a clutch company to offer a conversion setup for a factory piece is not uncommon. Like all Monsters, the LT1-S units were put through the rigors of testing and verifying before we ever put them on the shelf. That's the largest difference between what we've done here and what Katech did with the LS9. They went with the information that GM gave them, and while we do take that we go with what works and is proven. A controlled environment can only show you so much.

Like I said earlier, if any of you guys have any other questions about these just let me know.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #39
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

One other thing; this isn't an open invitation to get this thread vastly off topic.

I'm trying to educate those that want it and squelch the mis-information that others are spreading about these clutches. It seems that competitors are pointing fingers at this saying they're no better than the LS9 - that shows me that these competitors do not fully understand the functions of the internals of a clutch, nor have they researched GM's clutch program - namely the LS9.

Again, if any of you have any questions about anything that is outlined here, or, any clutch questions period I'm an email or phone call away.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #40
caverman

Thanks for the info.

This one's still at the top of my list.

Do you think that for a slightly modified car like mine (415 rwhp) that will at most be cammed some day with around 470-480 rwhp that this twin disc setup is better or needed versus your single 12" clutch? There isn't a ton of price difference but based on your previous post it sounds like you still believe in a single disc clutch for a lot of applications.
Build Journal
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #41
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

This one's still at the top of my list.

Do you think that for a slightly modified car like mine (415 rwhp) that will at most be cammed some day with around 470-480 rwhp that this twin disc setup is better or needed versus your single 12" clutch? There isn't a ton of price difference but based on your previous post it sounds like you still believe in a single disc clutch for a lot of applications.
I am a huge fan of singles, no need to over-complicate things. However, singles are not going to drive like a twin, no matter what you do they will have stiffer pedals and more aggressive friction causing chatter from time to time.

As far as your question, it's damn hard to beat a solid twin disc for the price we've got them at that includes everything necessary and the flywheel.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #42
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch View Post
I hear you man, we've been closed since last Thursday from this ice storm that hit us, we're way behind!!!!
Damn, not want i want to hear
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads

Closed Thread