Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-16-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Rear window replacement

After 5 weeks, my dealer finally got my replacement top to my satisfaction. But now 2 lines on the rear window defroster do not work. Now they are telling me that they will have to replace the entire rear window to fix this. I don't know how they are going to get the window out of the convertible top and put a new one in. I am just afraid that it is not going to be as good a job as the factory installed one, and they will screw up my new top after it took so long to get that right. Has anyone ever had the rear window replaced?
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #2
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
The rear window is integrated into the top. I think that means yet another new top

Let us know
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
linc400

Yes, that is what worries me. They think they can take the window out of the top and replace it in the current top. I don't see how they can do that and have it the same as from the factory. They are supposed to be having an outside glass company do it.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
There is no provision to replace the rear window without replacing the entire top. For them to attempt it, they would have to cut the seams, and restitch the entire window back in. IMO I would not let them try this. You are just asking for trouble and leaks down the road. Along with the visual appearance of what they did to it. Good luck and keep us posted on what they decide to do.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Rear window defroster grids can be repaired, you should not have to replace the entire back window. There is a metallic glue-like substance used for this that will link the usually tiny broken grid gap(s). I have done this on cars back in the 80's and '90s before I started buying newer ones.

I would ask my dealer or other reputable repair shop about this possibility, and save the $$$$ and potential issues associated with window/top replacement.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Rear window defroster grids can be repaired, you should not have to replace the entire back window. There is a metallic glue-like substance used for this that will link the usually tiny broken grid gap(s). I have done this on cars back in the 80's and '90s before I started buying newer ones.

I would ask my dealer or other reputable repair shop about this possibility, and save the $$$$ and potential issues associated with window/top replacement.
Exactly this. I have repaired many grid lines using a silver-based liquid.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
So a broken rear window means a new top?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
So a broken rear window means a new top?
Absolutely!! Anybody that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
linc400

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post

Yes, I had this done with my Buick back in the 1990's, and argued they should be able to do it with this one. They are claiming it can't be done.

They are insisting the rear window has to be replaced, and they will have it cut out of the top and replaced. I refused to let them do this, and I am picking it up tonite.

Usually they are very good at this dealership. So I do not know what is going on with this. I guess maybe I will have to check with another dealership and see what they have to say.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Good luck, linc400. Please keep us posted.