Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 03-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Opinions? Trade in or sell? 2010 2SS/RS Transformers Dilemma. Maybe.

First, I absolutely do LOVE that yellow fat-assed bastage sleeping in the garage.

But with this year's very generous company bonus, and the potential for getting a decent trade in, I'm almost up against a time wall to make some sort of decision. I'm not attached to the car like it was my first-born or anything, but I know it'd be hard to let it go.

So what to do?

What I DON'T want to do is finance any car past 2019 as I plan on retiring then. But I kinda wanted to get that last hurrah vehicle before I ride off into the sunset. And I don't want to do anything over 60 month loan, so that means middle of 2014 is the last chance on pulling the trigger on anything. I do not want a corvette, as nice as they are. They just don't do it for me.

But I am on the fence about selling it or trading it in so I can get my "dream" car- a RY or CRT ZL1 6 speed manual convertible with suede package, Nav, ECF, and 5 spoke wheels. All these are MUST-HAVE options. MSRP on this setup for 2013 is $64,505. I pay $300 maximum state sales tax on vehicles, so that shouldn't be an issue. So I figure somewhere around $65K out the door. This would likely be my last new "fun" car, so I figure I'd get what I wanted and plan on keeping it for a VERY long time.

I know 2014 information is going to be put out in a couple of weeks, and hopefully a ZL1 'vert is still in the '14 lineup, so this means what LIKELY will happen is some of the dealers with Yellow or CRT's meeting this criteria will likely discount the 2013s a bit. Maybe not, but you never know. Or, simply place an order with Becky for a 2014 (if they still make them) in yellow or crt, or even a bright blue depending what colors are available? I found a CRT available with all the stuff I want right now. But it doesn't look like a shortage of 2013 ZL1 'verts out there it seems. Yet anyway.

Distance is not a factor really as I have a car trailer. Obviously if the car is closer, the better.

What is up at potential stake is:

Title in hand-
Garage kept, 2010 2SS/RS Yellow L99 auto (built Oct 09 so it has the backup sensors)
Transformers Edition (CTH)
Gray Leather (found out there wasn't that many made with gray)
Sunroof
LPO painted engine cover

All Stock Drivetrain w/11,800 miles, never wrecked, raced, or abused. Excellent shape. Had all service work done at dealership using Mobil 1 oil. (I did change the oil once myself just to see how difficult it was. It really wasn't once you could get under it.)

Additions- (using GM parts where applicable)- I know some don't count for any $$, but this is just what has changed. Can go totally back to stock if needed as I kept all the stock stuff:
-Vararam no-tune
-Gill accent stripes
-Passenger side electric seat conversion
-Ofer's rear view mirror and backup camera conversion
-Manual shifter boot for auto shifter
-ZL1 front end conversion.
-ZL1 trunk lid/spoiler conversion
-Lloyd's premium Camaro SS front floor mats
-GM Accessories: Trunk mat, splash guards

Mods waiting in the wings in case I don't sell it:
-ZL1 hood and GM insert in progress of getting ready for paint
-MRBP 409 catback still in the box

If I get rid of it, I'll probably take off the ZL1 conversion stuff and intake and put back the stock items and sell the extra stuff (or keep them for spares!).

I'm wild azz guessing here, but after doing a bit of research, I THINK I could get around 27K or thereabouts for it on trade-in or private sale. Or am I out to lunch? This would get me right about $18K financed, for a payment of roughly around $345 or so per month. Was doing $376 per month for the current car when we bought it, so $345 or so is totally do-able with no budget strain.

Thoughts and opinions sought. Feel free. I'm trying to step back and see this from outside, but I'm not thinking clearly with ZL1 on the brain. What would YOU do if you were me? I know it's all my decision in the end, but I'm just trying to get brainstorming ideas.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Sorry for the wall of words, I was just rolling thoughts out of my head and typing away...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
Old 03-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I would say $27K might be a bit high, you get nothing or almost nothing for mods, although your mileage is very low. I was offered $25K for my 20,000 mile 11 2SS/RS.

However, in certain areas there are a number of ZL1 verts around. You could be right, after the 14s are announced, you might get a good deal on a '13. but you will most likely have to yield on the color and options. But if this will be your last later mid-life crisis car, you might want that '14 with a few improvements. Who knows? Maybe 50 more HP? Or maybe you might want the 2014 LS7 Z28. Expect to pay ADM and get a raw deal on your trade for that.

But what could be more fun is improving your current SS to ZL1 performance levels.

$65K-25K = $40,000 + interest = ZL1 dream cost.

For $15K you could build your current SS into a reliable ZL1 equal. On any track. While many will say it cant be done, it has. And if you look around on the build threads it is big fun.

That would leave you $25k left over to buy a boat or an over priced Harley. I would say the second option is more fun overall and you will have more things to do when all you have is spare time. Besides racing ZL1s.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
I'd think you could get a good private party sale price, given what you said about the rarity of the gray leather option and it being a transformer edition. Also the low mileage and ability to return to stock. There's still some people looking for those out there.
27k for a low miles 2SS/RS TE? I think you could get it. There was someone posting about trying to find a TE a couple weeks back.

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Thanks for the comments. As far as rarity of the gray leather, I don't have any figures to back it up, but I've only seen one other 2010 TE with gray interior of any kind. And I've seen plenty. Extrapolating the numbers, I'm guessing less than 100 or so 2010 TE's with gray.

I've thought about the "build yer own" option, but that's the crux of it. I wanted a convertible, and mine isn't one. I couldn't wait for it so I ordered a 2010 for fear GM was going under. And I'm not cutting the top off. Plus I'm getting too old to be building cars, so I figure I'd just let Chevy build me one. I can still get a Harley later.

I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks what to do next.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I say do what you want and that sounds like you want a ZL1 vert. So go for it!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I would say $27K might be a bit high, you get nothing or almost nothing for mods, although your mileage is very low. I was offered $25K for my 20,000 mile 11 2SS/RS.

However, in certain areas there are a number of ZL1 verts around. You could be right, after the 14s are announced, you might get a good deal on a '13. but you will most likely have to yield on the color and options. But if this will be your last later mid-life crisis car, you might want that '14 with a few improvements. Who knows? Maybe 50 more HP? Or maybe you might want the 2014 LS7 Z28. Expect to pay ADM and get a raw deal on your trade for that.

But what could be more fun is improving your current SS to ZL1 performance levels.

$65K-25K = $40,000 + interest = ZL1 dream cost.

For $15K you could build your current SS into a reliable ZL1 equal. On any track. While many will say it cant be done, it has. And if you look around on the build threads it is big fun.

That would leave you $25k left over to buy a boat or an over priced Harley. I would say the second option is more fun overall and you will have more things to do when all you have is spare time. Besides racing ZL1s.

the disadvantage to this option is you would be investing more money that you will never get back into you car where as if you buy the zl1 its still worth 55,000 dollars at the end of the day. i say buy the zl1 and be happy
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
I think 27 is probably right on if you trade for a zl1. Outright on a private sale 27k would be tops.

Life is short, if you are nearing your end of the window in which a zl1 is feasible, then you should make it happen.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I've traded in two 5th gen Camaro convertibles in the past 14 months. In both cases the dealers offered slightly more than the upper end of the estimated Black Book value.

Fraxum is absolutely correct, you'll get little to nothing for the mods. In fact, the mods may even hurt the trade-in value. You'll probably be better off returning the car back to stock as much as possible and selling the parts individually. That's what I did when I traded in my '12 2SS/RS vert for the ZL1. It had custom wheels, a cold air intake, catch can, race scoop and relocated washer bottle. All were pulled and replaced with the OEM parts prior to the trade.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Visited a dealer today with a ZL1 'vert. $64K sticker. Didn't have the 2010 Camaro with me, but just wanted to get info. Found a manual 6 speed. Test drove an auto hardtop before and it was god awful quick, so was anxious to see what a stick would do.

So we took a test drive. OMG that thing shifted like butter and rode almost as good as the CTS wagon. The vert is nice and tight.

They must really want to sell. They had 2 other 'verts and 3 hardtop ZL1s on the lot as well. I told them I probably wasn't going to do anything until next week (after I see what 2014 has to offer). They had a $7500 ADM on it. No wonder all these were sitting. I told them I can simply go elsewhere and pay MSRP max.

Here's where it got interesting. The sales manager was so-so about things until he found out it was a transformers edition and a 2SS/RS. He SAID he has a customer wanting a 2010 transformers but it had to be a 2SS/RS. You know how that goes. Dealership BS I'm sure. I'm still very wary about the whole thing. After some haggling...OTD price offered was my 2010 Camaro and 30K. Got it in writing, too.

Might put a deposit on it and wait until next week....I dunno.

Thoughts?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Sounds to me like you found what you wanted, and a reasonable trade if I understood the story correctly...

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
DR TOOLS

Drives: 2012 2ss 45th Anniversary
Get what you've dreamed for! Only live once.. $$ is just a number in life. If you can afford it, run with it. Good luck in what ever decision you make..
Old 03-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I would only trade it in if you can get the dream ZL1. Don't settle for anything less.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
Hope you get your ZL buddy. BTW, your 2010 looks pretty amazing!!