Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

View Poll Results: The wife says get a Vette, what should I do?
Keep the 1LE, it is awesome and makes the most sense. 45 18.00%
Live the dream, get the Stingray before time runs out. 163 65.20%
Sell the the house and all the cars and live in a trailer in Key West. 42 16.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #113
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
What a tough choice! I could see both sides. 1LE is a very special car. I'm sure you probably don't care about exclusivity, but I'm sure, in time, Stingrays will be out in droves compared to the 1LE. I don't know if you plan on keeping the Stingray if you get it, but I've always had a certain respect for people who get a car and keep it forever. It just shows a real appreciation for the car. I'll admit I haven't been one of those guys, but I really see myself staying with my 1LE for a VERY long time, even with the 6th gen soon approaching. Just a thought.

Also, if you do decide to go with the Stingray, I would wait for the 2015, with your love of tracking. That new video system they recently debuted will be available then, and although I'm sure you could just use a GoPro or something similar, the program from GM sounds like it will be light years ahead of anything aftermarket.

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #114
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
What a tough choice! I could see both sides. 1LE is a very special car. I'm sure you probably don't care about exclusivity, but I'm sure, in time, Stingrays will be out in droves compared to the 1LE. I don't know if you plan on keeping the Stingray if you get it, but I've always had a certain respect for people who get a car and keep it forever. It just shows a real appreciation for the car. I'll admit I haven't been one of those guys, but I really see myself staying with my 1LE for a VERY long time, even with the 6th gen soon approaching. Just a thought.

Also, if you do decide to go with the Stingray, I would wait for the 2015, with your love of tracking. That new video system they recently debuted will be available then, and although I'm sure you could just use a GoPro or something similar, the program from GM sounds like it will be light years ahead of anything aftermarket.
Yes, waiting is the smartest option. C7s will hit the used market and get cheaper. And staying with the 1LE is no penalty box. I can see why it is a keeper. Really only 2 negatives, visibility and the weight. Still exploring the FI option. My reservation there is I have seen owners having trouble handling too much power. And I remember from my last bike, a C14, where else besides a track can you use a 10 second vehicle? And I may have to get a cage if I go too crazy.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #115
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Oh man do not go to the dealer. I did yesterday luckily they were closed but they have 20-30 new stingrays in there. They are amazing looking up close going by Wednesday to look at those and test drive 1LE. see if i can test drive a vette I hope they don't let me or i might end up buying or ordering one.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #116
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yes, waiting is the smartest option. C7s will hit the used market and get cheaper. And staying with the 1LE is no penalty box. I can see why it is a keeper. Really only 2 negatives, visibility and the weight. Still exploring the FI option. My reservation there is I have seen owners having trouble handling too much power. And I remember from my last bike, a C14, where else besides a track can you use a 10 second vehicle? And I may have to get a cage if I go too crazy.
This is the most logical idea. You have a car to drive that is very cool and you love. So play the waiting game and enjoy your 1LE.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #117
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
This is the most logical idea. You have a car to drive that is very cool and you love. So play the waiting game and enjoy your 1LE.
Yes, still working on this. I sat in a C7 at the Philly Car Show and I fit perfectly. I also am talking to Chris at ECS about adding a centrifugal. He thought a cam might suit me better but agreed it would be harder to return to stock with a cam. Over all if I sell the SC later used, the SC would be cheaper overall than trying to return a cammed car back to stock. Unless I start breaking things.

Liking the SC idea.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #118
2002b4c

Drives: 2001 Camaro B4C, 2011 Camaro SS
Keep the 1LE, buy a nice low mile C6 Corvette - have both cars and wait for used C7 drop in price. You will have the best of both worlds.
2002b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #119
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Go for the C7 but keep in mind if you plan on any mods in the future, the "Corvette Tax" comes into play - meaning any aftermarket part made for the Corvette, is always more expensive than the same part made for a Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #120
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Go for the C7 but keep in mind if you plan on any mods in the future, the "Corvette Tax" comes into play - meaning any aftermarket part made for the Corvette, is always more expensive than the same part made for a Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger.
Good point. After watching videos of 1LEs dusting Mustangs and C6es on a road track the 1LE is looking good. (Not all C6es of course).

I need to keep saying to myself "Beware the Corvette Tax" over and over. But even Camaro mods are more expensive than others. There is even a bit of a "Camaro 5th gen tax".

Two local speed shops are trying to dissuade me from the Stingray. One has a no tax $2k cam install/tune with an upgraded valve train and another is giving me a break on a full centrifugal install/tune. Decisions, decisions! But all good.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #121
Fraxum

So I was visiting my uncle who is 88 and lives alone to give him a hand with things and break up his boredom. We ended up watching the Kerbeck show. A nonstop Kerbeck commercial with a sweet Miss NJ honey to keep you watching. I am sure that is why my uncle watches.

Kerbeck of AC is one of the biggest Corvette dealers in the area and right now they have about 40+ C7s in stock. I have never driven any Corvette let alone a C7, so why not. I drove over to Kerbecks knowing my 1LE would not represent well having a CAI and LTs. It did not.

Right now Kerbeck will sell you a Z51 for list or any other Stingray for $2K off. It is amazing how many they have. Since they had only had one Coupe Z51, a 3LT at almost $70K, I set my sights on a Base 1LT with the only option being a class roof. Most of the Stingrays had chrome wheels, this one did not. It was red and listed for $53K and looked stunning. Sitting in the showroom with 20 other C7s it was very hard to see why the 3LT coupe next to it was $15K more. The 1LT is very well equipped, and unless you really have to have the HUD and nicer upholstery I don’t think the extra money as money well spent.

So we went for a drive. The red 1LT was parked in so we went for a ride in an identical white 1LT out in the lot. Some impressions:
  • The C7 is harder to get in and out of than the Camaro (Doh! Of course). 1LE +1
  • The C7 will not fit big guys. My salesmen was 6'6" and a 6'3" guy at the auto show both had their knees against the dash with the seat all the way back. I had been warned about this. I am 6' but have short legs for my height and I fit great. 1LE +1
  • The C7 is tight. You feel squished in the car. If you are claustrophobic this is not the car for you. But like the terrible visibility in the C7 Camaro, you can get used to it if you fit I think. Spoiler Alert: When I left Kerbecks in my 1LE I felt much better in my much roomier 1LE. But I also felt like it was too wide. Very weird contrast. 1LE +1/2
  • The 1LT base C7 felt softer and sloppier than my 1lE. While the base car did handle well, it also was comfortable, a good compromise. But this is a performance car! My 1LE suspension is almost stock so it is a fair comparison. What I learned here is although, the 1LT C7 was just as much car as all the other C7s, but it needs to be a Z51 to be compared to a 1LE. My C7 would have to be a Z51. Here I gave the C7 the win because I am sure a Z51 with MRC would feel great and be superior to the 1LE. C7 +1
  • The New LT1 felt great and the 1LT felt a little faster than my 1LE. Only a little faster because I have LTs and a CAI. The 1LT felt torquey but not that far ahead of my modded LS3. Of course the lighter weight helped the 1LT to feel stronger. I know already the LT1 likes mods from seeing shop C7s at Atco so the C7 gets the win here. C7 +1
  • The C7 Interior beats the Camaro Interior hands down. There is very little plastic and even the base C7 interior looks fantastic. The only thing I did not like about the C7 interior was the weird tach display in the middle display screen, sort of like a super DIC. The seats also were great and had better side bolstering than the Camaro. The seats were so good I would not want the C7 Competition seats. C7 +1
  • The engine sounded pretty good for being base but I did hear an NPP C7 Start up and it sounded mean. I would want NPP. But the 1LE sounds sweet too. This one is a tie.
  • As far as looks go the C7 is much better looking in person than in pictures. Even the 1LT with the lame base wheels was much cooler than I expected. But I think from a pure styling standpoint the 1LE is more attractive, although the c& looks even meaner than a 1LE if that is possible. 1LE +1
  • Gas Mileage. Easy win for the C7. C7 + 1
  • While most us of do not consider this, if you are involved in a major accident, you and your passenger would much rather be in a Camaro. 1LE +1

I could go on but I would recommend a drive to make sure you fit and get a feel for the C7. If it is your dream no harm in taking a drive.
The deal they gave me was a no go from the start. They offered me $24K for my 5,000 mile 6 month old 2SS RS 1LE. So I would be crazy to make that deal. The caveat there was my LTs. If I brought the car back to stock then they would go $30K. If I had tuned my car and brought it back to stock they would give me $25K. They checked for a tune.

I am very glad I drove a C7. I now have a much better perspective on my dreams and have concluded at least for now to stick with my 1LE. I also want a C7 a little less and have a greater appreciation for my 1LE. Maybe in the future I might make a switch, but for sure it will be a Z51.

The next day I went to Atco to get a few runs in on a nice day. With the Goodyears on the car I could not get into the 12s and finally left frustrated. Wheelhop was a huge problem on this chilly day. The Goodyears were also very slippery on the road. When the road surface is cold the DRs should be the plan. They stick like glue all the time. Like the car, hate the tires.

Last edited by Fraxum; 02-25-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #122
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Good solid analysis, Fraxum. I think it would bother me if I didn't get the Z51 too.

And since you're in Z51 territory, you may want to take a look at a new Viper. I don't know if your budget can go this high, but there have been some amazing deals out there on the 2013s on the lot, as low as $85K (usually closer to $90 to $95K for the base model, which kicks ass). There is nothing like 640 HP and 600 Ft Lbs in a 3300 pound beast. I own one, worship it, love it. I'm tracking it at Willow Springs this weekend with about 10 other Vipers. I think maybe my Camaro is faster on the track than the Viper though, with my humungous wing and splitter, LOL. I'll find out this weekend. I also like the new Vettes, but I would personally hold out for a Z06. That is going to be one mean machine.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #123
R@ULSS

Drives: 2013 inferno orange 2SS
Corvette nough said. Saw One the other day looks awesome!!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #124
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Good solid analysis, Fraxum. I think it would bother me if I didn't get the Z51 too.

And since you're in Z51 territory, you may want to take a look at a new Viper. I don't know if your budget can go this high, but there have been some amazing deals out there on the 2013s on the lot, as low as $85K (usually closer to $90 to $95K for the base model, which kicks ass). There is nothing like 640 HP and 600 Ft Lbs in a 3300 pound beast. I own one, worship it, love it. I'm tracking it at Willow Springs this weekend with about 10 other Vipers. I think maybe my Camaro is faster on the track than the Viper though, with my humungous wing and splitter, LOL. I'll find out this weekend. I also like the new Vettes, but I would personally hold out for a Z06. That is going to be one mean machine.
Yea, Vipers are super cool. I have always waned one too. But the the Viper and Z06 are too rich for for me. My daughter is getting married next year and even the 1LT is stretching things.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #125
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Not sure what the obessuon is with the vette. Too me you seem like all you ever talk about or care about is drag racing and power. You won't be driving anything 10/10ths anytime soon so my suggestion would be to dump the 1le for a gt500 or something used.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #126
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Not sure what the obsession is with the vette. Too me you seem like all you ever talk about or care about is drag racing and power. You won't be driving anything 10/10ths anytime soon so my suggestion would be to dump the 1le for a gt500 or something used.
After driving the C7, I do not think dropping an extra $25-30K on a new Stingray would be a big grin gain over my 1LE. So my C7 obsession has dropped down to a want. While I was very interested in the C7 when it came out, I never considered owning one until my wife suggested it. She started this.

Three obsessions:
  • ETs
  • Great handling
  • A do it all car

I think my obsession really is just to have fun with my car. While there is nothing wrong with having a garage queen, that is not what I want. I want to Autox this spring and if i can swing it, a three day tracking class.

Good point about 10/10ths. To me, I would rather want be the smoothest driver in full control at 8/10ths rather than running the fastest time at 10/10ths.

More 1LE power is on the way. I ordered twin turbos. Easy on the engine, easy on the drive train, big fun. Less than 1/2 the cost of a new Stingray to me.

Watch out GT500s.

Last edited by Fraxum; 03-08-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote