Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
KickToTheJunk

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6 Mtv Hbo Ps3
Front Speaker Replacement question

2011 Camaro LS. Upgrading 1 piece at a time here.

I bought some MBQuart PVI216 components to replace the front stocks. I have NOT verified fitment as of yet, but plan to modify the stock speaker cups to hold the new ones. (crossing fingers).

I plan to call my local audio shops tomorrow (today) to see if they carry the speaker harness but if NOT, should I snip and hard wire to the crossover or use those light-blue colored wire tap clips (kind where you put new wire half way in one hole and the clip goes over the entire existing wire, then clamps down to tap into the existing without cutting).

Unsure how well those clips work for audio signals and don't feel too confident using them for this application. I DO plan to put my Alpine 50wx4 amp on the system when I get the rear's replaced.

I also have a new Hifonics Brutus 1200w amp and 2 Kicker Comp 10's (4ohm) to put in later... once I decide which box from ******** to get.

I was hoping to get this done this weekend, but football parties at my house might stop me, if so I'll just order the harness from ********. Next weekend is filled already and I'm hitting Vegas after that... so... it's this weekend or NEXT MONTH!

Sorry for long winded post.
KickToTheJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
If you dont plan on ever taking the speakers out just clip off the ends and use some permanent connectors. If not, instead of those scotch loks you were talking about, use t-taps instead. Theyre way easier to work with in my opinion. You just out it over the wire and clamp down with some pliers, then you put an insulated male plug on your speaker and plug it in. Its helpful because if you ever need to unplug the speaker for any reason it just pulls right out and can be plugged right back in. Either one of those connectors will do fine for audio signals though. I suggest the red size for the wires you will use though.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
KickToTheJunk

Thanks for the info man.

Not installing my amp yet, later I will... for now, can I just remove the speakers and use existing wires without putting the new x-over in (adding x-over when I put in my 4ch amp later). ???? Or do I need to find wires x-y-z and tap that to the x-over then out to new speakers?

Something I haven't seen talked about in speaker replacement threads.... figured I'd ask.

Thanks again man!
great photo btw.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
You can use the factory wires, but I would definitely use the crossovers. The only time I dont use them is if i'm doing a processor directly hooked up on separate channels. You dont want any bad tone notes going to the wrong speaker/tweeter. You'll blow them up.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
KickToTheJunk

I havent looked at the MBQuart x-over yet. I'm hoping there's an input for tweet and woofer on it. Otherwise, wiring could be an issue for me.

I planned on using the xovers when I installed the 4ch amp. Thanks again for the help. Would 16 gauge wire be sufficient for stock or too aggressive?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
The crossover will have one + & - input coming from your stock radio or amp. And a + & - pair EACH for the woof and the tweet.
It keeps the woofer from trying to play higher frequencies, which helps it sound a little better; and it keeps the tweeter from trying to play mids and lows....which helps it keep making sound a lot longer! The lower the note, the more excursion required from a speaker (it has to move farther forwards & backwards)....so you don't want your little tweeter seeing a 100Hz note (fairly low) at any kind of appreciable level...as Draggn said it's not good. So, yes, hook them up from the get-go.
And, as such, be sure to hook the right outputs to the right speakers. As Dr. Spengler said "don't cross the streams, that would be bad."

semi-obscure quote for the day; one of my bad habits. sorry!
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
KickToTheJunk

Thanks for the reply. My concern is:
The factory sends one set of +\- for each, the tweeter and the woofer FROM the stock head unit.

How do I join those two signals into ONE input feeding the crossover. If I touch them to the same connector, that will alter the impedance.

I was hoping to use the wires in the doors for my input signal to the crossover. But if the stock radio sends a HI set of +|- and a LoW set of +|- then how do I feed the crossover one single full range input?

Tags
front, replacement, speaker, wiring