Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
kraut1971
BITCHN Camaro

Drives: SOLD! Back in the looking zone...
Catch Can Believer!!

Just checked my Elite Engineering Catch Can for the first time in 4 months. . . SEEING IS BELIEVING!! To think all of this would have been recycled back into my intake system is CRAZY! This catch can is, by far, of my most affordable and important modification to date!

Attached Images

Old 05-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Yeah, but now we need to have a clean side catch can to capture the gunk that flows into the intake at wide open throttle. Now, I got to save up for clean side can now. It never ends. lol!
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
kraut1971
BITCHN Camaro

Drives: SOLD! Back in the looking zone...
Clean side catch can??
kraut1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Canx2

Shhhh! Don't tell GM!!
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut1971 View Post
Clean side catch can??
Yes, it sends oil mist vapors back into the oil fill port instead of going through the intake during WOT conditions. Not really a catch can per se since it drains the oil back into the valve cover where the oil fill cap is. However, it's another thing you have to get to ensure 100% oil free air going inside the intake system.
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
keith.wilkinson.10

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
Yes, it sends oil mist vapors back into the oil fill port instead of going through the intake during WOT conditions. Not really a catch can per se since it drains the oil back into the valve cover where the oil fill cap is. However, it's another thing you have to get to ensure 100% oil free air going inside the intake system.
Can this be routed to a catch can with check valves?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
keith.wilkinson.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #7
Tunamanz

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
I posted videos of the entire install with clean side if you need to see how to install it.
Tunamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thanks Tunamanz!

Anyone wanting more details on how the different Elite systems work, and which ones for different applications, just ask.

The CSS (Cleanside separator) is similar to the GM 1LE plastic unit, but is 6061 T6 billet aluminum and and actually contains stainless coalescing media inside the separation chamber where the GM unit is empty plastic. The Elite unit can be used year round and is app. 1/2 the price of the GM unit.

This addresses the oil mist that enters via the cleanside of the PCV system. Also, the PCV system from the factory relies solely on the intake manifold vacuum for evacuation suction, and when you accelerate or go WOT, vacuum drops to zero in the IM and the Elite E2 and E2-X have dual outlets that allow (using our billet checkvalves) a secondary suction source so the PCV will evacuate at all operating levels maintaining the correct fresh in, foul out flow that properly flushes the combustion by-products and other contaminants from the crankcase at all times.

This keeps the engine oil cleaner longer, and increases engine life by reducing the wear these compounds cause. The E2-X comes standard with the checkvalves and AN fittings and is the most effective solution available for the price. If you have a GDI engine, the LLT/LFX/LGX V6 and the LT1 V8 (2016 and up) then the E2-X is the system designed to stop nearly all of this ingestion as GDI engine cannot tolerate any oil ingestion where the LS V8 being port injection could.

Be aware that the average catchcan no matter the brand name, only traps 15-20% of the oil and other compounds that enter them, the E2 and E2-X trap nearly all of this.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #9
BkinBlk

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
I do believe a catch can is a good thing, BUT, as of late, and from other posts, I fear what Chevy is doing, by not honoring the warranty if you have an oil pump fail and have a catch can. I'm not so sure I want to take that expense and chance. And from what I also have read, that the oil pumps are not the best in our cars. Yes, I know, I can be considered a nervous Nellie, but I don't have the option of not having my car or paying for a major expense that should be covered under warranty.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Thanks Tunamanz!

Anyone wanting more details on how the different Elite systems work, and which ones for different applications, just ask.

The CSS (Cleanside separator) is similar to the GM 1LE plastic unit, but is 6061 T6 billet aluminum and and actually contains stainless coalescing media inside the separation chamber where the GM unit is empty plastic. The Elite unit can be used year round and is app. 1/2 the price of the GM unit.

This addresses the oil mist that enters via the cleanside of the PCV system. Also, the PCV system from the factory relies solely on the intake manifold vacuum for evacuation suction, and when you accelerate or go WOT, vacuum drops to zero in the IM and the Elite E2 and E2-X have dual outlets that allow (using our billet checkvalves) a secondary suction source so the PCV will evacuate at all operating levels maintaining the correct fresh in, foul out flow that properly flushes the combustion by-products and other contaminants from the crankcase at all times.

This keeps the engine oil cleaner longer, and increases engine life by reducing the wear these compounds cause. The E2-X comes standard with the checkvalves and AN fittings and is the most effective solution available for the price. If you have a GDI engine, the LLT/LFX/LGX V6 and the LT1 V8 (2016 and up) then the E2-X is the system designed to stop nearly all of this ingestion as GDI engine cannot tolerate any oil ingestion where the LS V8 being port injection could.

Be aware that the average catchcan no matter the brand name, only traps 15-20% of the oil and other compounds that enter them, the E2 and E2-X trap nearly all of this.
Any good deals for members? I'm looking to upgrade my catch can to one of your quality units.
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Elite Engineering E2-X Ultra and Clean side separator
Attached Images

JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BkinBlk View Post
I do believe a catch can is a good thing, BUT, as of late, and from other posts, I fear what Chevy is doing, by not honoring the warranty if you have an oil pump fail and have a catch can. I'm not so sure I want to take that expense and chance. And from what I also have read, that the oil pumps are not the best in our cars. Yes, I know, I can be considered a nervous Nellie, but I don't have the option of not having my car or paying for a major expense that should be covered under warranty.
bknblk, This is the ONLY case in 15 years and thousands and thousands of these in use (for the ELite systems, some other that vent or defeat the PCV systems functions would be grounds as they can cause engine damage/failure), and it appears GM is getting the whole story now and is back tracking. These cannot void a warranty legally. So very little to worry about.

As for pricing, there are several vendors here that have sales at times. You can email us direct as well: sales@eliteengineeringUSA.com

Make sure you always empty these before they get more than 1/3 or so full to ensure they still trap all possible. If left to fill then the oil and other contaminants are still pulled in.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #13
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
I have an EE catch can and have had it on the car since it was new. It now has about 10K miles on it, and in that time it has captured about 8-9 oz. of contaminants. I empty it every 1K miles or so and it always has about an ounce in it. It seems to be working just fine.

I'm not really worried about a voided warranty for a couple of reasons:
1) The problems seem be more with V8 engines, not LFX

2) FWIW, my dealer has said that certain mods like a catch can and CAI will NOT void the warranty. They have even installed mods for me. The "does it or doesn't it" void the warranty issue seems to be on a dealer-by-dealer basis, and there in no uniformity in GM's policy. I hope I don't have to put that to the test, but as far as catch cans go, I personally don't believe they can cause an engine failure.

My car is basically a daily driver. It isn't driven (much) at WOT and even though there may be benefits to a cleanside separator, I don't know how much that would benefit my car with the way it's driven.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #14
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Well I just ordered the ex2!!
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote