Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
GM's Test Drive Studio

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN...pe=marketsNews

Quote:
CHICAGO, March 24 (Reuters) - General Motors Co plans to lease retail space in four U.S. cities to offer shoppers the chance to test drive not only three Chevrolet vehicles but those of its largest rivals, a top marketing executive for the U.S. automaker said on Wednesday.

Under the plan, GM will offer consumers the chance to drive the hot-selling Equinox, the large Traverse crossover and the mid-sized Malibu sedan, Steve Tihanyi, GM's general director of marketing services, said during a conference in Chicago.

The automaker also will give prospective customers the opportunity to drive vehicles from rivals Ford Motor Co, Toyota Motor Corp and Honda Motor Co Ltd.

"You come in and drive any of these competitive products at your leisure," he said. "You don't have to go running around town to go to a bunch of dealerships."

"It fits perfectly with 'May the best car win,'" Tihanyi said of a slogan used by GM in recent advertising. "We're going to see how it plays out."

GM is leasing space now in free-standing, high-traffic retail locations for the "Test Drive Studio" program, he said. It plans to test the program in Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami and Philadelphia and may expand from there, he said.

"We're trying to get it up and running by mid-spring," Tihanyi told Reuters, saying the timing was dependent on leasing and preparing the right retail locations.

The idea would be to draw online shoppers at Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds.com with pop-up ads directing them to the test-drive studios while also luring street traffic in the heavy shopping areas, he said in an interview. (Reporting by Ben Klayman; Editing by Richard Chang)
"May the best car win" is really being stressed lol.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
interesting
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Wow...talk about "thinking outside the box".

That's a very unique idea! And shows incredible pride/confidence in their own products.
THAT'S the GM I want to see more of!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
that is interesting.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
It's unique. But they should get anything and everything that they can fit under the roof, unfortunately they will probably only stick some toyotas, hondas and fords in there.
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Interesting for sure...

Reminds me of an event Cadillac hosted at the Dallas Galleria a few months ago. They had CTS, CTS wagon and SRX there for people to drive/look at etc., but they also had BMW, Mercedes, etc. competing vehicles.

Also, anyone go to the test drive thing in Vegas they had set up 5? years ago? No competitive vehicles, but a cool way to test drive GM vehicles...
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
future2010camaroowner
Still learning

Drives: none yet
I recall Ford doing this with their vehicles first.
future2010camaroowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Wow...talk about "thinking outside the box".

That's a very unique idea! And shows incredible pride/confidence in their own products.
THAT'S the GM I want to see more of!
Indeed! Welcome to the NEW GM!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
testdrivestudio

Drives: MINI Cooper
Register for V.I.P. Status at Test Drive Studio

Hey everyone, thanks for your comments and interest! Check out our new website at www.testdrivestudio.com to register for V.I.P. status and be among the first to schedule your test drive when we open in your neighborhood.

A little bit of information about Test Drive Studio...

At Test Drive Studio, you can test drive and compare Chevy, Ford, Honda, and Toyota. All in one place. No cost, no hassle, no pressure.

The process will be simple -- sign in, tell us a little about yourself, pick the cars you want to drive and schedule a time that’s convenient for you. When you arrive, you’ll be greeted by our friendly, knowledgeable staff who’s only interest is to help you compare and learn about the cars you drive. No dealer or salesperson will ever be present, so you’ll never be asked to buy anything – ever.

Take your time and enjoy the drive – on your own or with a companion. Then, when you’re done, continue your research in our convenient lounge and share your experience with family and friends.

Stay in touch with us by following us on www.twitter.com/testdrivestudio or becoming a Facebook Fan at www.facebook.com/testdrivestudio
testdrivestudio is offline   Reply With Quote