Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 11-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
Mels67

Drives: 1967 Cheverolet Camaro
Help i'm an idiot!

This is a bit of a long story so bear with me. I came across a 1967 camaro in decent shape. I bought it and it appears i was tricked. The VIN doesn't match the ownership i was given. The ownership was in the seller's name and is indeed an ownership for a 1967 camaro. But i found the proper VIN on the car after i got it home bought and paid for. I know very stupid of me right?

I've done research on both the ownership VIN and the actual VIN. Gotten the buyers package etc. I've tried getting in contact to the previous owner tied to the actual VIN. No luck. Is there any way i can legally get this car into my name? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I can't just scrap it and there is no way to get my money back unfortunately.
Mels67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
First off, do you know how to get hold of the seller again, he didn't ghost on you or anything after the sale did he? If you can do that, then I would go to the local DMV (in the States, that's Department of Motor Vehicles) and see if they can track down the last legal owner.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Mels67

Drives: 1967 Cheverolet Camaro
He did ghost on me. After arguing with me that the ownership he gave me is for the 1967 that i bought. I got the buyers package for both VIN's. Up here in canada that gives us the last 4 previous owners. I tried tracking them down by internet search, and even in the phone book. No luck. I need to get the car appraised to put it into my name. But don't think thats going to go well when the vin's don't line up. I've heard about swearing before a judge to acquire am affidavit to prove the car isn't stolen. But when i contacted a lawyer they directed me to a DMV. I called the 1-800 number for the dmv and the person i talked to seemed clueless. I even went as far to contact Chevrolet and was told they don't keep VIN records for anything before 1977. I have a few other steps i can take like personally going into my dmv but decided to post here to seek advice
Mels67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
DonM
Camaro #4

Good luck, I think you're going to need it
Personally I would go straight to the DMV, it might bring bad news but it should keep you out of legal trouble.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Does the seller have any other parts for sale? If he does, call him up and arrange to buy at a designated location... bring a bat and get what is owed.

Shame on him for setting you up like that! Very shady!

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Does the seller have any other parts for sale? If he does, call him up and arrange to buy at a designated location... bring a bat and get what is owed.

Shame on him for setting you up like that! Very shady!
Not entirely a bad idea, try and get his plate number for the police to trace. Tell them that you think the guy sold you a stolen car and maybe THEY will setup a meeting with him.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
I would get the police invovled especially if he went "ghost".

Its pretty simple, the VIN tag on the chassis/shell HAS to match the vin on the Ownership paper.

Alternatively, i've seen guys at the local swapmeets selling vin tags with ownerships for people restoring old rotted cars...just another alternative for you to look into.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:14 AM   #8
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels67 View Post
This is a bit of a long story so bear with me. I came across a 1967 camaro in decent shape. I bought it and it appears i was tricked. The VIN doesn't match the ownership i was given. The ownership was in the seller's name and is indeed an ownership for a 1967 camaro. But i found the proper VIN on the car after i got it home bought and paid for. I know very stupid of me right?

I've done research on both the ownership VIN and the actual VIN. Gotten the buyers package etc. I've tried getting in contact to the previous owner tied to the actual VIN. No luck. Is there any way i can legally get this car into my name? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I can't just scrap it and there is no way to get my money back unfortunately.
Contact Car Help Canada and they can advise what, if any, recourse you have, and can set you up with their legal team.

http://www.carhelpcanada.com/