Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #85
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
We've told that in testing 1 second was gained for every 250 lbs lost. So add about 3 seconds to the Z07's time...7:25:77

And IF it can even get close to that number GM will kick a lot if high dollar A**!

"CHC: Speaking again of power-to-weight ratio as sort of that all-mighty watermark of performance, are there any other ways that Chevrolet could see shaving weight from the Z/28 in the future models?

AO: “Absolutely, as I mentioned, our goal was 100 pounds and have already exceeded that. We’re approximately a year away from bringing it into production, so we’re not done yet. We are always looking for lightweight materials. To give you reference in terms of lap time, you would have to remove 250 pounds to get another second on the track and have to weigh that against another tenth of a G in lateral acceleration. I can get that same second on the track"
Interesting point about power-to-weight ratios. in the recent MotorTrend "round table" vid, Reuss mentioned that the Z/28 motors will be the swan song for Wixom. After the Z/28 motors are built, all production is being shifted to Bowling Green.

I'm hoping this means there's extra incentive to send that plant off with something for people to remember them by...
Old 09-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #86
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Interesting point about power-to-weight ratios. in the recent MotorTrend "round table" vid, Reuss mentioned that the Z/28 motors will be the swan song for Wixom. After the Z/28 motors are built, all production is being shifted to Bowling Green.

I'm hoping this means there's extra incentive to send that plant off with something for people to remember them by...
Which also means GM has the chance to squeeze more power out of the LS7 for its fair well.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #87
pizzi22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
7:26.7
pizzi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #88
JtutZL1

Drives: ZL1 red/Carbon fiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I can't see this car being in the 7:20's. It's got more grip and better brakes than the ZL1. Power to weight should be close. I'm going to say 7:35:29. That old be an amazing lap for a Camaro.
I agree with the drop in weight (300lbs) and also less horse power (500hp) it's going to be very close to the 2009 ZR1 (7:41.50) & ZL1 @ 7:41.27 times.
Z/28 does have a LCG, better brakes & wider tires all around giving it a slightly faster time.
My two cents worth equals. 7:41.12 And that depends on if it's the same driver?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #89
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtutZL1 View Post
I agree with the drop in weight (300lbs) and also less horse power (500hp) it's going to be very close to the 2009 ZR1 (7:41.50) & ZL1 @ 7:41.27 times.
Z/28 does have a LCG, better brakes & wider tires all around giving it a slightly faster time.
I think you're in for a big surprise.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #90
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtutZL1 View Post
It will be more than 300 lbs off the ZL1. By the hints they have dropped in interviews, it sounds like 400 lbs off the ZL1. Add it better brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, arguably a better track engine, tighter gearing, geared LSD, and lower CoG. I have a feeling it will surprise a lot of people.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #91
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Which also means GM has the chance to squeeze more power out of the LS7 for its fair well.
....and I am on board with you there. They have the chance. They have had a hall pass issued by GOV on EPA regs to produce what has been produced with the Z06 'Vettes. They should politely ask to take it one step further to be allowed to enhance the powerplant. Why not? Answer is Chevy historicaly does not <most recently beyond it's past where it did> upgrade a certified powerplant. They will however redesign and engineer the previous technology with new when it does upgrade, but that will not be the case here. I believe all the LS7's available will be shelf ready for one year of Z/28 availabilty. The agreement is running out for the build, and BG is going to make crate motors. So, we will have to dance with who brought us. But, since hobbs mentioned it, and I urge those who can do something about it, lets do a blow out GMPP upgrade on the LS7, and call it a day. Just ask for it Chevy....
Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #92
OldScoolCamaro

...and to that end, with all that Chevy is doing to recreate a Z/28...an iconic model, the poster face of Chevy performance in the glory days, to superimpose an old LS7 motor without doing it up into a well thought out stripped down weight platform and the addition of a crazy new slicked up high tech suspension package makes no sense to me. Especially since it's going to be the blowout party.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #93
JB12ZL1

Drives: victory red Camaro ZL1
the ZL1 did it in 7:41.27 so i'll guess 7:37.23
JB12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #94
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....and I am on board with you there. They have the chance. They have had a hall pass issued by GOV on EPA regs to produce what has been produced with the Z06 'Vettes. They should politely ask to take it one step further to be allowed to enhance the powerplant. Why not? Answer is Chevy historicaly does not <most recently beyond it's past where it did> upgrade a certified powerplant. They will however redesign and engineer the previous technology with new when it does upgrade, but that will not be the case here. I believe all the LS7's available will be shelf ready for one year of Z/28 availabilty. The agreement is running out for the build, and BG is going to make crate motors. So, we will have to dance with who brought us. But, since hobbs mentioned it, and I urge those who can do something about it, lets do a blow out GMPP upgrade on the LS7, and call it a day. Just ask for it Chevy....
The only reason I mentioned it is with the LS6, GM modified it bringing the power to 405 HP from 385 HP. I think the LS1 even saw a similar power bump from improved cam profiles. With modern computer modeling and simulation software, they may be able to push the power up without making any major modifications.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #95
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The only reason I mentioned it is with the LS6, GM modified it bringing the power to 405 HP from 385 HP. I think the LS1 even saw a similar power bump from improved cam profiles. With modern computer modeling and simulation software, they may be able to push the power up without making any major modifications.
...yes, I am with you brother. But, they were beyond year to year upgrades, those powerplants fit a planned time structure within a design schedule, and with an agreement between GOV and GM. I say..., GM needs to play the same ploy and upgrade the LS7 on the fly, like in the days of old.....if you wan't to break ground, take action. And the LS7, placed within a much touted and revered return of the Z/28 with all that's going on there with new unheard of weight reduction and off road racing technology upgrades, without changing the LS7 and bringing it...is taking the easy way out. Just sayin....
Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #96
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
It was "leaked" that the Z/28 was quicker in testing than the ZL1 on a Milford test track. What was the average speed on that track? How does that average speed compare to the ZL1's average speed at the 'Ring?

I think it's fair to say the Z/28 is quicker in a lower-speed, autoX-type track, but how does the ZL1's better weight-to-power equate on a higher-speed track?

The BIG differentiators, here, will be the TIRES and lower cg, which are significant factors in tight circumstances.

How that plays out on the Nordschleife, only "time" will tell...

I personally do NOT think a roughly 3800 lb. Z/28 will challenge/beat a 3200 lb. Z07 on Michelins...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #97
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Al O. mentioned that the Z/28 can go deeper into a turn, carry and come out with more speed. How many corners at the Ring?
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #98
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
The ZL1 outperformed expectations so the Z/28 will do the same. Looking at just power to weight ratio you would never think the ZL1 would be as far ahead of a GT500 on a road course but it is.