Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Viral

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Help me choose mods order

I'm brand new to the Camaro world and am trying to learn as much as I can about my awesome new car. You guys and this site have been a HUGE help in that endevour!

I've made a handful of cosmetic mods, but now it's time to start the performance mods. This is my daily driver, so I'm keeping things simple (and keeping my Warranty intact)! With those restrictions, I'd like to improve performance and handling a bit where I can. So here are the mods I have in mind. I'd love to hear from some of you guys that have done these - what order would you do them in if you had to do it all over again? I'd also like to hear suggestions on the companies I've listed, although I realize that's what the rest of the forum is for, which has helped narrow down this list.

Here goes...

Intake - considering CAI, Roto Fab, Halltech

Axle Back Exhaust - considering SLP Loudmouth 2, Borla S type or ATAK

Trailing Arms - Pfadt, Spohn or BMR?

Short Shifter - MGW, Barton

Sway Bars - Pfadt, BMR...?

Diff (& maybe Subframe) Bushings - Pedders

Which order would you do to add power (quicker 60ft, 1/4 mile times), handling, and better driving experience?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
God I wish I wasn't buying a house so i could have decisions like this to make...

But what's a trailing arm?
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
RedJewelSS

Drives: six in a row makes it go
for driving experience your best bet with that big v8 is sound. every car/truck that ive ever wanted to modify has gotten exaust first.

next id do the shifter. better feel, less noise.

brands. i dont know they all seem like they would be good brands.

if your after power, the most that can be gained with any mod will come with a tune also which will void your warranty. in my opinion the power gains from an axle back and a CAI will not even be noticed by the seat dyno on the street. your talking maybe 10-20 rwhp without the tune.
1989 F-150 4x4/300 I6/M5ODR2
1982 mustang. 351W/414stroker C4 9" rear. bracket racer
1977 F-100 5.9L 12V Cummins conversion/NV5600
RedJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
1) Intake - considering CAI, Roto Fab, Halltech

4)Axle Back Exhaust - considering SLP Loudmouth 2, Borla S type or ATAK

6)Trailing Arms - Pfadt, Spohn or BMR?

3)Short Shifter - MGW, Barton

2)Sway Bars - Pfadt, BMR...?

5)Diff (& maybe Subframe) Bushings - Pedders
Old 05-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Viral

RedJewel - thanks for the input! Seems like exhaust (without headers, etc) is almost more a 'cosmetic' mod than anything else. Maybe I'm not giving it enough credit, and to be fair, I haven't heard ANY aftermarket exhaust on a 5th gen in person yet (just youtube clips). Is it a serious difference?

redline - are you suggesting that my totally random order I originally posted was, in fact, the correct order to go by? LOL
Old 05-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
get er done.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
RedJewelSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
RedJewel - thanks for the input! Seems like exhaust (without headers, etc) is almost more a 'cosmetic' mod than anything else. Maybe I'm not giving it enough credit, and to be fair, I haven't heard ANY aftermarket exhaust on a 5th gen in person yet (just youtube clips). Is it a serious difference?

redline - are you suggesting that my totally random order I originally posted was, in fact, the correct order to go by? LOL
yes its 100% different in person usually. most of the cameras used on youtube make it sound worse IMO.

if you look at the numbers that redline has down there to the left of the list those are his suggestions not in order on the list.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Kwik

Drives: car
About the only mod you mentioned that will make power is a cold air intake. If I had it to do again, I'd add headers before the cat back. I have bought several parts from Pfadt and they are first class. I have a Hurst shifter. Very happy with it. MTI Racing also has a nice one. Pfadt has a complete set of bushings to tighten up everything. They list for $650, but Southern Car Parts and I believe Vengeance have them for $450. I currently have a CAI intake and 1 7.8 Kooks with cats on order. Have fun!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Viral

Thanks for the feedback guys! Doh, I completely missed redline's numbers! SO you'd have TAs last on that list? Hmmm, I would have thought that would be higher - seems like lots of people have had REALLY good feedback transferring power to the ground better with just that change alone. Kwik, I agree, the CAI is the only power-adder, but that's why I tried to list power, handling and improved driving experience equally. A short shifter certainly doesn't add power, but should improve the driving exp. The TAs and bushings should help transfer power to the wheels more efficiently, making the car faster by utilizing its HP better. I honestly don't care as much about dyno numbers as I do the end result - a better handling, faster Camaro that's more fun to drive.

As for headers - from what I've read shortys can actually rob power and LTs require a tune, which is further than I want to go with a brand new $37k daily driver right now.

So far for first mods, +1 for intake, +1 for exhaust, and everyone seems to agree the short shifter is a worthwhile upgrade...
Old 05-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
RedJewelSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys! Doh, I completely missed redline's numbers! SO you'd have TAs last on that list? Hmmm, I would have thought that would be higher - seems like lots of people have had REALLY good feedback transferring power to the ground better with just that change alone. Kwik, I agree, the CAI is the only power-adder, but that's why I tried to list power, handling and improved driving experience equally. A short shifter certainly doesn't add power, but should improve the driving exp. The TAs and bushings should help transfer power to the wheels more efficiently, making the car faster by utilizing its HP better. I honestly don't care as much about dyno numbers as I do the end result - a better handling, faster Camaro that's more fun to drive.

As for headers - from what I've read shortys can actually rob power and LTs require a tune, which is further than I want to go with a brand new $37k daily driver right now.

So far for first mods, +1 for intake, +1 for exhaust, and everyone seems to agree the short shifter is a worthwhile upgrade...
yep you got the gist of it.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Kwik

Drives: car
The short shifter is a must. You are pretty much following my philosophy. I don't care about making 800 HP. I want a strong motor, exceptional handling and some good binders. In other words, a well balanced car that just happens to look like a million bucks. Have fun and share your progress.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
Brokenlizrd

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black/Charcoal
Send a message via Skype™ to Brokenlizrd
Im sorry but i missed the most important.... Tires

TA, STS, Tires. Those all at once will be faster then ur intake and exhaust unless your just looking for hp numbers...

If you are looking to get down the track quicker I would reccomend spending time in the drag area... You will learn that power adders are not needed right away

Last edited by Brokenlizrd; 05-14-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Brokenlizrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenlizrd View Post
Im sorry but i missed the most important.... Tires
I know tires can make a HUGE difference, and I'll eventually add at least some Nitto Invos or something to my stock rims, but I want to use up my Pzeros first. I'm still WAY too new to bother grabbing lighter, smaller rims just for drag racing, but maybe someday!

Quote:
TA, STS, Tires. Those all at once will be faster then ur intake and exhaust unless your just looking for hp numbers...
Agreed! That's why 3 of my 6 mods listed are suspension mods, and the 4th is STS.

Quote:
If you are looking to get down the track quicker I would reccomend spending time in the drag area... You will learn that power adders are not needed right away
I have been and I've learned a TON! This list of 6 mods have come after about 6 weeks of ownership and pouring over the posts here. I had never even heard of Trailing arms before then

And this is exactly what I've noticed. There does seem to be two schools of thought here - One is to go with upgraded suspension, tires and shifters to make better use of the default power, the other is to make it breathe better with intake, exhaust, headers and tunes. Of course, I think we'd all love to do both, but for most of us, money doesn't grow on trees, so we have to prioritize, hence this thread

You guys are giving me awesome feedback! It's interesting to hear how different people would prioritize their upgrades.

Another twist - other than tires, have I missed any mods that you guys would do BEFORE these 6? (lowering springs, control arms, gears, etc) or should these be my first 6, in some order?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Longtubes