Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 05-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Route 20...Anyone up for joining me the weekend it opens?

First, I don't know exactly when that will be. I don't know if I'd go on a Saturday or a Sunday. Basically, it's still going to be a couple of weeks, but I've made a habit of going across route 20 shortly after they open the highway. I'll be doing the same this year.

I won't be staying in Winthrop overnight...I might go across the border north of Omak and head back on Route 3 in Canada...or something else.

Anyone else up for joining me on this? Here's the latest report, in which they hope to have it open by Memorial Day.

Day 20 – Thursday May 12 – (End -Week 5)

The week began with a forecast for warm temperatures, and as the mercury rose the snow began sliding. By 2 p.m. Monday, it was 50 degrees at 5,500 feet and the snow was sliding at Liberty Bell Mtn. and Cutthroat Ridge.

Before the snow started sliding, the crew had finished the clearing below Liberty Bell #1. However, the slides put an end to any more work in that area, and the new slides behind them in the Cutthroat Ridge zone is where they concentrated their work.

Even more slides reached the highway on Tuesday – more than 20 feet deep in a couple locations in the Cutthroat Ridge zone. There were more below Liberty Bell Mtn. too. Everyone got home late Tuesday as a 100-foot wide by 25-foot deep slab avalanche slid down onto the Annex, which is just below Spiral Gulch.

By 8 a.m. Wednesday at 5,000 feet it was overcast, raining and about 43 degrees, which prompted the avalanche team to start control work in the Liberty Bell zone earlier than anticipated because visibility was declining. The howitzer successfully triggered a huge slide at LB#1, almost equaling the 75’ that was over the roadway there when crews started clearing it last week.

By the end of the work week we were through LB#3 (MP 163) and making a single cut up to Washington Pass (MP 162.5). With the forecast for a weekend of precipitation, on Monday we’re expecting to find more snow on the pavement we’ve already cleared and more in the avalanche chutes, too.

This week on the west side, our snow blower reached the top of Rainy Pass. Come Monday, we should be working our way on the east side of Rainy Pass.
It was back closer toward the Diablo Gate where dump trucks and loaders were running up and down the highway clearing ditches.

“When are you going to open the highway?” It’s the same answer for everyone, “The hope is by Memorial Day, but we don’t have a target date yet. As soon as we know, you’ll know.” It’s very difficult to pin down an opening date at this point. From the map, both teams appear to be very close to one another-less than 6 miles apart, but the 6 miles between Rainy and Washington pose a lot of challenges (Like being 4900 to 5500 feet in elevation).
Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
So long as it isn't too sandy (is it usually?) I'd be up for it.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
So long as it isn't too sandy (is it usually?) I'd be up for it.
I've done it before, and I don't think there's ever really been a lot of gravel/sand on the road. I can't say for certain, but the road conditions aren't that bad...mostly it's melting water going across the road when it's sunny
Old 05-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
We will be going back to Winthrop on May 26th with my mom. If 20 is open we'll be going over that way. Otherwise, I'll return on the route we were on last weekend.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Keep us posted on date and if I'm off I may try and meet from this side. If you don't get out of there to early I may be able to meet at Diablo parking lot
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
RS Orange Crush

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS IOM
Schedule is petty tight the next few weeks and we are headed south Memorial weekend so we will not be able join you guys.
RS Orange Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Prolly not, but I'd love to! Being a weekend worker messes with my social life a lot.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Well, I have family coming in from Atlanta this weekend, so I don't know if I'll be going up route 20 or not over the weekend. That being said, according to the website, it opens up tomorrow!!

I'm thinking of driving up there in the evening to Diablo Lake or beyond, but we'll see
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
So I have confirmed that I'll be flying back from SA this Friday, getting in late...so if you're up and can let me sleep in a bit to make up for jetlag, I think I would really be up for this.
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
sorry I think I am off the crusing lists for a couple more weeks, depends on what the dr says tomorrow.

It hurts to walk,drive, ride in a car ect lol

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

I really don't know if I'll go though, on the weekend. My niece, nephew and brother's wife are visiting, and so I'm going to be busy with that. I may take them up to Diablo lake or something...so going over the pass may have to wait until next weekend.

It does open tomorrow though, but it'll be raining...so not sure I want to go up there in the evening anymore. Sigh!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
mikel441

Drove over North Cascades this afternoon. The highway is in great shape. We are at Sun Mountain right now. After a scrumptious meal we are heading out for an evening stroll around the grounds.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
Drove over North Cascades this afternoon. The highway is in great shape. We are at Sun Mountain right now. After a scrumptious meal we are heading out for an evening stroll around the grounds.
So jealous, have a glass for us!
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
mikel441

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
So jealous, have a glass for us!

On the way back today we stopped at Tunnel Hill Winery on the South shore of Lake Chelan. I picked up a bottle of their Reisling. After a tasting of course. So, tomorrow when we get to Ocean Shores. We will toast our friends in Bellingham.