Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-26-2014, 03:31 AM   #15
LS3goyo

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
A 1200 dollar savings is definitely worth pursuing. As for the customization coverage you should call because I don't think it'll cover performance parts. It's meant more for rims/stereo equipment. Again good luck
LS3goyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:35 AM   #16
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I do have a second set of wheels but LOL, the OEs are more valuable, at least according to GM's price list. But, you make a good point. I will check it out.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:51 AM   #17
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3goyo View Post
A 1200 dollar savings is definitely worth pursuing. As for the customization coverage you should call because I don't think it'll cover performance parts. It's meant more for rims/stereo equipment. Again good luck
Here is their definition of coverage:

Customized Equipment

"Customized Equipment coverage is optional in this state. If you buy this coverage, you must also buy Comprehensive and Collision coverage.

What's covered?
You should consider purchasing Customized Equipment coverage if your vehicle has permanently installed custom parts or equipment other than those installed by the original manufacturer. Examples of customized equipment include:

Any dealer-installed equipment that is not offered by the original manufacturer

Special equipment on vehicles, vans, and trucks, including: running boards, brush bars, roll bars, undercarriage lighting, fog lights, bed liners, camper shells, trailer hitches, etc.

Customized wheels, spoilers, suspensions or performance-related equipment

Stereo, sound recording, and television equipment

Customized paint or decals

How much protection does this coverage provide?
Within the limits you select in your quote, this coverage reimburses you for the lowest amount of the following: the actual cash value, the declared value, or the actual cost to repair.

Who might benefit from buying Customized Equipment coverage?
Without this coverage, your policy covers only the original equipment included by the manufacturer. If your vehicle has additional equipment, accessories, enhancements, or changes that alter the appearance or performance of the vehicle, it's advisable that you buy additional coverage for these items."

So, while this coverage does cover performance parts, it is quite expensive. I could increase my savings by $300/yr by dropping it.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #18
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Since your daughter had a wreck, I wouldn't put much salt in the online quote you are given. Once the Underwriters get a hold of your information and see that she had an "at fault" wreck, they will place you in a higher risk bracket and raise your rates to compensate for this even though you wasn't their customer when it happened.

As for mods, insurance companies depreciate the actual cost of them based on the length of time you had them. Mod insurance is really only worth it for 2-3 years.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #19
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3goyo View Post

Right.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Here is their definition of coverage:

Customized Equipment

"Customized Equipment coverage is optional in this state. If you buy this coverage, you must also buy Comprehensive and Collision coverage.

What's covered?
You should consider purchasing Customized Equipment coverage if your vehicle has permanently installed custom parts or equipment other than those installed by the original manufacturer. Examples of customized equipment include:

Any dealer-installed equipment that is not offered by the original manufacturer

Special equipment on vehicles, vans, and trucks, including: running boards, brush bars, roll bars, undercarriage lighting, fog lights, bed liners, camper shells, trailer hitches, etc.

Customized wheels, spoilers, suspensions or performance-related equipment

Stereo, sound recording, and television equipment

Customized paint or decals

How much protection does this coverage provide?
Within the limits you select in your quote, this coverage reimburses you for the lowest amount of the following: the actual cash value, the declared value, or the actual cost to repair.

Who might benefit from buying Customized Equipment coverage?
Without this coverage, your policy covers only the original equipment included by the manufacturer. If your vehicle has additional equipment, accessories, enhancements, or changes that alter the appearance or performance of the vehicle, it's advisable that you buy additional coverage for these items."

So, while this coverage does cover performance parts, it is quite expensive. I could increase my savings by $300/yr by dropping it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
Right.
Wrong

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #21
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Have you tried Hartford through AARP? I know you qualify because of your age. I have had them for six years now and no one has been able to beat their price. I insure three cars with them. I am not sure though how your daughter would play into the picture. Good luck.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #22
Indydriver

LOl, haven't joined AARP. Too left wing for me.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
LOl, haven't joined AARP. Too left wing for me.
I agree with you. I am a conservative, but, I am saving over $800 a year minimum over any other one that quoted me which included State Farm, Geico, Allstate, AAA, 21st century.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:30 AM   #24
Indydriver

Postscript

I pulled the trigger on Esurance yesterday. My final premium was $1174/6 months to cover me, my wife and 22 yo daughter (wife and I are 60 with clean records). I own the 2014 Camaro, 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Tahoe and 2004 Intrepid.

This replaces Travelers who increased our renewal after the daughter's accident to $3450/yr. If Esurance renews at the same rate, they would be $2348/yr, a savings of $1102/yr.

The days of the commissioned insurance agency are numbered.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #25
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
I pulled the trigger on Esurance yesterday. My final premium was $1174/6 months to cover me, my wife and 22 yo daughter (wife and I are 60 with clean records). I own the 2014 Camaro, 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Tahoe and 2004 Intrepid.

This replaces Travelers who increased our renewal after the daughter's accident to $3450/yr. If Esurance renews at the same rate, they would be $2348/yr, a savings of $1102/yr.

The days of the commissioned insurance agency are numbered.

Agreed. Another quick tip, if you take out insurance, any insurance for like a day, where your insured, I've called geico afterward and got a discount for currently being insured. I'm not with geico ATM but a guy from our car club was able to give me a better rate with Allstate. In today's insurance world, it does not pay to stick with one company sometimes. Shop around and you can usually find a better rate.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote