Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
I hate where I have to park :(

I own a townhouse in a complex where (long story short) the vast majority of homes are now being rented out to "Section 8" housing. Government assistance, in case you don't know.

I hold nothing against the program, or those who need it. Believe me, I've seen how it helps. But, there is also a very large population of Bloods. Yes, the gang. Yes, there are shootings, and robberies, and such where I live. And yes, just a few short years ago my town was awarded "Safest Town in America."

So I park/live on the end of a block, where the garbage bins are. This means less activity, and I can park with no cars on one side. This also means that a bunch of little kids (some barely walking, waddling, holdling onto things they are SO SMALL)...and no adults. The police here have bigger problems, it seems, so they don't care. They go "Oh, the mother can see them from their window...down the block."

Oh, and that area next to my car where no car would park? That's near the garbage, and with the extremly high turn over rate of the rental properties, there is always old furniture there. Of course, what do the bored kids do? They bash the furniture into little pieces, throwing it all over.

They also kick random balls they find (as if they are soccer balls) all over, up in the air, falling down on top of cars, etc. It's chaos.

They generally listen to me though. I go out there, scare them a bit, and most stay away. If one little kid tries to give me attitude, one of the others tends to correct them. Still, I don't want a confrontation, as there is a good chance that their parents' could get violent (if they care enough to come out of their apartments).

What bothered me most is, at some point since Friday, the antenna was stolen off of my mother's Hyundai. Maybe unscrewed, maybe broken, I don't know yet. She called my homeowners association regarding the security camera right outside my home (aimed at my parking spots). They said they needed to know the exact date and a 4 hour time frame. Really?

I want to avoid the accidental ding from a thrown rock or kicked ball, or bike handle bar.....but I don't want to be the ass down the block that the kids hate, and then they just destroy the whole paint job.

I can't rent a place to store it, it's my only car. Moving is not an option. I have a car cover, but I also have a bird poop problem...so I don't want to remove a poop covered cover every day. Plus, I think the cover would draw more attention.

Any advice?

My thought is...I can't stress over small dings, that's why I have insurance. I'm better off just crossing my fingers than making kids WANT to damage my car for fun.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
No advice other than getting a cheap beater and renting a storage unit.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
I've lived in an apartment for the past three years and have had no problem with dings. I think people tend to be more careful with other people's property when they are neighbors.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
I've lived in an apartment for the past three years and have had no problem with dings. I think people tend to be more careful with other people's property when they are neighbors.

But....the children's families don't care. These are the same families that, when the garbage bins are closed (you can lift them open with your hands), they just leave the garbage on the ground. It's common practice here.

Almost nobody who rents here has respect for where they live, because there is no consequence for treating the place like crap.

I've seen the kids damage property for fun! Just because they don't have supervision, or someone telling them what is appropriate behavior for your neighborhood.

EDIT: Almost forgot, a few years ago, my Grandmother's car was keyed there, with some nasty words. Different kids, same atmosphere.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
Can you just park in a different spot and walk a little further? Or is it assigned spaces?
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Sorry man, once the Section 8 folks move in, it's time to move out. I've had to do it twice now. There really is just no other answer.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I know the frustration you go thru, as I occasionally have to deal with this with my daily driver. Unfortunately if this is your only car, then your choices for parking may be limited. My best advice in this situation is to go by your gut feelings and park where you feel the car would be safe, and watch for signs of trouble.

Other than this, the only other way of safeguarding your property is, obviously, garaging it. Garaging has its disadvantages as well, with the expense if you have to rent, retrieving the car (if the garage isn't at your home), and several nuisances that's unique to storing a car indoors.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I know the frustration you go thru, as I occasionally have to deal with this with my daily driver. Unfortunately if this is your only car, then your choices for parking may be limited. My best advice in this situation is to go by your gut feelings and park where you feel the car would be safe, and watch for signs of trouble.

Other than this, the only other way of safeguarding your property is, obviously, garaging it. Garaging has its disadvantages as well, with the expense if you have to rent, retrieving the car (if the garage isn't at your home), and several nuisances that's unique to storing a car indoors.
You are right, I need to trust my instinct. I'd love to garage it...but I recall, back when I had my 1979 Trans Am, I clipped part of it trying to manuver into my tiny apartment garage space lol.

Oh...and a follow up to my mother's stolen car antenna...it's on the back of her car, she was looking at the front.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarfey View Post
Can you just park in a different spot and walk a little further? Or is it assigned spaces?
Where I'm at, I can see my car, and it's right under a security camera...so further away, I wouldn't be able to just open my door and give dirty looks to scare the kids away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilibustaRhymes View Post
Sorry man, once the Section 8 folks move in, it's time to move out. I've had to do it twice now. There really is just no other answer.
I know what you mean. It's such a great townhouse, so much room, such a great price...I'm just crossing my fingers that things change, somehow. The rest of the town is VERY nice...it's just one bad area. If I had kids though, I most certainly wouldn't raise them there.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Where I'm at, I can see my car, and it's right under a security camera...so further away, I wouldn't be able to just open my door and give dirty looks to scare the kids away.

I know what you mean. It's such a great townhouse, so much room, such a great price...I'm just crossing my fingers that things change, somehow. The rest of the town is VERY nice...it's just one bad area. If I had kids though, I most certainly wouldn't raise them there.
I feel yeah, I need a spotter to get into my garage. Backing out I have no issues, but pulling in I am scared I will take off a mirror.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
But, there is also a very large population of Bloods. Yes, the gang. Yes, there are shootings, and robberies, and such where I live. And yes, just a few short years ago my town was awarded "Safest Town in America."
Where in New Jersey did it go from Safest Town in America to urban warzone? There's only a few areas that I can think of that have this reputation, and none of them have been safe in over 20 years.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Moving is not an option...

...Any advice?
Yes. Make moving an option. There is never a reason where moving is never an option unless you were one of those guys that fell off a bridge into one of the caissons being poured with concrete and got stuck.

If the neigborhood is turning, get out while you can. The longer you wait, the more value on your home you'll lose.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
That 4 hr gap of time is stupid. Maybe invest in your own that watches over your car? Idk.
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
Where in New Jersey did it go from Safest Town in America to urban warzone? There's only a few areas that I can think of that have this reputation, and none of them have been safe in over 20 years.
Brick, Ocean County. A large portion of the townhouses were bought by two individuals in Lakewood, who then rents out the homes to people from Lakewood.

It's sort of like the folks who live near me "live" here and "work" in Lakewood (and the general area).