Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #29
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
If I do not get a ZL1, I would love to get this setup

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #30
TrojanRay2418

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Will post pics as soon as I get my car back. Its at the dealer gettn checkd out. I had some lifter noise on my L99. :\
TrojanRay2418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #31
bumblebabe
SoCal Race Team #10

Drives: 2012 CTH 2SS/RS
While Flowmaster is where I've started my search, it's not like I'm limiting myself to that brand. It's simply where I've started and am still trying to get a feel for the different sounds of all the different exhaust options. So just for convenience sake I'm linking the axle-backs from Flowmaster I've been comparing as well as the cat-back:

The first is the outlaw axle-back. It has a slightly higher pitch and more... angry... sound in my opinion. The second is the AT axle-back which to me sounds a lot deeper with more rumble. The THIRD video is the full cat-back that I was looking at that got me all warm and tingly lol... (but it might have been the aussie talking in the video hahaha). Problem to me with the last video is that while I want to believe the sound increase, I can also tell there's a change in the recording quality or least the volume of output not just because of the exhaust.

Current mods: CAI intake, catback exhaust upgrade
Future mods: too many to list

Tundra CrewMax SR5, TRD, 5.7L V8, 2" Lift, 381 HP; 401 ft lb
bumblebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #32
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
My personal preferance is for Stainless Works chambered cat-back.
I wouldn't spend my money on a axle-back. All it is, is a muffler swap. But that's just what I prefer.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #33
bumblebabe
SoCal Race Team #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
My personal preferance is for Stainless Works chambered cat-back.
I wouldn't spend my money on a axle-back. All it is, is a muffler swap. But that's just what I prefer.
I agree. It is just a muffler swap. It's why if I do anything, I'd either do a muffler delete or a cat-back. And pipe really isn't that expensive ultimately. So I'm looking into just buying the mufflers and tips I end up liking most, and then getting custom pipe done. Got any links/vids/pics of what you prefer? Not like I can't google or anything but figured I'd ask

Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #34
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #35
drookster

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
I'm with Milk & TaylorRyan...I just did a muffler delete and had the muffler shop weld the stock tips back on and...WOW.
I was considering MagnaFlo or FloMaster axle-backs, but after hearing straight pipes, I was convinced to save my money. I'm very happy with the deep throaty sound and it only cost me $50. One thing - keep your stock mufflers, don't give'em away to the shop. Another thing, the AFM will drive you crazy no matter what you do with your exhaust system...ugh, I hate when it kicks in, even in Manual mode.
drookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #36
drookster

OMG...Great video! Looks like cat-n-mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #37
bumblebabe
SoCal Race Team #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drookster View Post
I'm with Milk & TaylorRyan...I just did a muffler delete and had the muffler shop weld the stock tips back on and...WOW.
I was considering MagnaFlo or FloMaster axle-backs, but after hearing straight pipes, I was convinced to save my money. I'm very happy with the deep throaty sound and it only cost me $50. One thing - keep your stock mufflers, don't give'em away to the shop. Another thing, the AFM will drive you crazy no matter what you do with your exhaust system...ugh, I hate when it kicks in, even in Manual mode.
Yah, I'll be keeping my stock mufflers and tips as they are regardless of what I end up doing. Do you have any other mods other than the muffler delete? And yah, I'd agree. Between axle-backs and straight pipe, I'd go straight pipe. But I find I hear a difference between axle-back and cat-back, so I'm looking at cat-backs mostly now.

And the AFM hasn't driven me crazy yet

WHERE did you get your delete done for 50?? Did you bring your own piping, use a kit? What?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #38
TrojanRay2418

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Quote:
did you ever have a problem with lifter noise at start up? not that the muffler delete causes this because it is a common problem with the L99. I'm just asking FMI.
TrojanRay2418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #39
drookster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebabe View Post
Yah, I'll be keeping my stock mufflers and tips as they are regardless of what I end up doing. Do you have any other mods other than the muffler delete? And yah, I'd agree. Between axle-backs and straight pipe, I'd go straight pipe. But I find I hear a difference between axle-back and cat-back, so I'm looking at cat-backs mostly now.
Yeah, I would have to hear both systems side-by-side, but after everything I've read, you're probably spot on with that analysis.

[/QUOTE]=And the AFM hasn't driven me crazy yet

Oh god, it 'drones'...but that gives me another reason to put my foot in it and use the other 4

[/QUOTE]=WHERE did you get your delete done for 50?? Did you bring your own piping, use a kit? What?

Man, find ya an outta-of-the-way muffler shop with some good ole boys. I didn't provide them with any material, no kit, they custom formed the pipe right there...and had it welded up and off the lift in about 35min. I think they just got a kick out of working on something a little different
Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #40
drookster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRay2418 View Post
did you ever have a problem with lifter noise at start up? not that the muffler delete causes this because it is a common problem with the L99. I'm just asking FMI.
Hmmm, not that I've been able to tell so far. The problem is that its not my everyday car and I may only pull it out of the garage once a week for a trip to the beer store But I will be listening for it and will report back if so.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #41
bumblebabe
SoCal Race Team #10

Quote:
Man, find ya an outta-of-the-way muffler shop with some good ole boys. I didn't provide them with any material, no kit, they custom formed the pipe right there...and had it welded up and off the lift in about 35min. I think they just got a kick out of working on something a little different
very nice!

Well as I find more options I'll probably update in this thread for more opinions

Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #42
drookster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebabe View Post
very nice!

Well as I find more options I'll probably update in this thread for more opinions
But of course! We luv that! Good luck BumbleBabe