Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #99
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Oh wow now that you mention it they both look like a Camaro. Unbelievable!

Seriously, no really seriously???

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #100
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post

the mustang stands apart more but I don't know how much is the horible paint scheme on the Boss LS.
ZL1 > 1LE. the 1LE looks ricey imho. vinyl hood with grandsport stripes, matte black side mirrors and wing. i was never expecting Chevy to be like ford and boy up there muscle car.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #101
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
C'mon....Really?you're going to want the Calipers to match the stitching in the interior? Most ludicrous thing I've ever heard!!!
I'm just saying if I was on the camaro design team, red calipers look better than black calipers any day of the week and a majority of future ZL1 owners would agree. GM could have justified this by the fact that whoever decided red as the interior stitching color should have talked to the brake caliper guy. The vette actually has 3 interior stitching colors and caliper options.

Obviously you sound like the type of guy who orders blue brake calipers with red leather interior on a yellow car...just fugly
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #102
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
I'm just saying if I was on the camaro design team, red calipers look better than black calipers any day of the week and a majority of future ZL1 owners would agree. GM could have justified this by the fact that whoever decided red as the interior stitching color should have talked to the brake caliper guy. The vette actually has 3 interior stitching colors and caliper options.

Obviously you sound like the type of guy who orders blue brake calipers with red leather interior on a yellow car...just fugly
Surely you jest!!1

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #103
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdodge View Post
so the calipers on the zl1 are just like the z06. still like them red, just look at the grandsport that have silver, they look plain jane compared to the red calipers on the z06.

why didnt gm also add cross drilled rotors to the zl1?
You got me there bro every supercar I can think of has cross drilled or slotted rotors to help dissipate heat under serious braking use. Not to mention cross drilled rotors look more aggressive, especially on 14.6 inch rotors! Once the OEM rotors are worn, I will grab a replacement set of cross drilled brembo rotors. from what I read you should replace the ZL1 rotors rather than resurface them like other rotors...it's in the owner's manual
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #104
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Fbodfather, PLEASE don't give the 1LE the same wheels as the ZL1. Paint them silver, yellow, chrome them etc - just don't make them the same. The exhaust can be made a dual instead of quad, by just changing the tips. It won't cost a fortune.

Just look at the competition, even the 2 Bosses don't have the same wheels and the Shelby is unique. We - ZL1 buyers, want to have a unique car not just the above average Joe's camaro.
Thanks for listening!
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #105
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
You got me there bro every supercar I can think of has cross drilled or slotted rotors to help dissipate heat under serious braking use. Not to mention cross drilled rotors look more aggressive, especially on 14.6 inch rotors! Once the OEM rotors are worn, I will grab a replacement set of cross drilled brembo rotors. from what I read you should replace the ZL1 rotors rather than resurface them like other rotors...it's in the owner's manual
Slotted rotors typically work better than the cross drilled ones. With the cross drilling you lose some structural integrity of the rotor.

As far as replacing rotors, I replace them on every vehicle when it comes time to do the brakes. Most times re-surfacing them doesn't pay as they start warping again. For a little more money it pays to just replace them, I typically use aftermarket rotors. For the ZL1, not sure what I would do there, maybe replace them with a performance brand.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #106
z28mass
z28 mass

Drives: 4 gen of camaros, 2012 ZL1 vin#1499
I don't get it. GM keeps introducing a new camaro model instead of delivering and concentrate on the ZL1. If you introduce, produce it. I love camaros and as some of you know I have 5 but I am really losing my patience with my ZL1. NO explanation what the problem is. I placed my order on the first day you could order and I am still sitting at 1100. How do they pick the allocation from the dealer I don't get it. Some people here ordered theirs like a month ago or so and they are already built. I went through the same thing when I placed the order for my 2010 SS. I do believe on GM that is why I keep buying camaros as my family and friends all have dodges and mustangs and I keep sticking with camaros I hope something happens soon as I don't want to convert myself to another brand. I was 18 years old when I bought my first car, yes a 1981 Camaro Berlinetta which I still have it with 65,000 original miles along with 1981Z28 with 14,000 original miles and a 1989 IrocZ placed the order for that back then, a 2002 35th anniversary and finally 2010 SS. I still have all these cars, the only one I don't have was a 1986 Z28 bought also brand new (the reason for not having this one it got stolen).
GM Please start building my ZL1 the sisters are home waiting for it. I do have faith on you but I am like I said getting very impatient.
Is anyone feeling the same?
z28mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #107
Kluch

Drives: CTS-V
They should have called this 1LE model the z28. Seems like its intended to compete with the Boss. At least in looks.
Kluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #108
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
Fbodfather, PLEASE don't give the 1LE the same wheels as the ZL1. Paint them silver, yellow, chrome them etc - just don't make them the same. The exhaust can be made a dual instead of quad, by just changing the tips. It won't cost a fortune.

Just look at the competition, even the 2 Bosses don't have the same wheels and the Shelby is unique. We - ZL1 buyers, want to have a unique car not just the above average Joe's camaro.
Thanks for listening!
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #109
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Thats all I am saying give the 1LE a different wheel, switch it back to the dual exhaust(or maybe out the middle), and possibly some unique graphics the buyer can choose from. I also think recaro seats would make sense too, and a optional back seat delete.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #110
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
while we're 'guessing' - please take a 'guess' at what ONE wheel program costs......

(...remember - there is a LOT of validation that takes place so that a wheel doesn't come apart at 90,000 miles when someone's doing 100mph on a freeway....)

We can make it lighter as well........are you willing to pay thousands of dollars more for titanium and aluminum and composite components to lose weight?

Remember - this is a Camaro.......it has to be affordable and offer more than expected at a Chevrolet price. (look at the performance of the ZL1 and compare it with supercars....)
There are a lot of reasons to do or not to do something, but if a maker is coming out with a program, then it shouldn't cut a great package short due to production constraints (eg: "well we can't because of" or "it costs xyz."). I don't see how a different wheel finishing pattern could affect a wheel's integrity (I've had wheels polished and refinished professionally in the past with excellent results). Yes, it will have a cost, but the camaros are stickering near 40k and 60k as is so why not? The average customer would not be affected by corporate costs in terms of production; Instead, most customers respond to a product that has been well carried out. I believe it will be in Chevy's best interest to find more cost effective methods to address some of the issues surrounding the Camaro that have hindered its performance against the Mustang. It seems to me that Ford is having less trouble giving their customers more variety and faster performance in the Mustang than Chevy seems to be doing with the Camaro.

I would rather see this generation Camaro exceed the Ford in performance, as opposed to playing catch up all thru its run. Ford is playing up their Mustang with a lot of aggression, and so far its payed off for them in faster performance with the Boss..(and probably in the Shelby GT500.....unless Chevy responds).

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #111
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
If your ONLY concerns are with wheel colors, and/or caliper colors, and/or graphic designs, I'm pretty sure "alternatives" will arrive or are available.

Anyone for a "body-color" hood stripe over the Flat Black hood? I'm sure there'll be one available from some source. Flat Black hash marks? Yup. Caliper paint? Check. Wheel paint? Check, again...

Mod-A-Holics Anonymous reins supreme, right here in Camaro-Land...

...or...you could have OCC do you a totally Flat Black one...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #112
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
The concern is that the Top of the line - Cost a fortune Camaro ZL1 will look like a Joe Blow Camaro, that costs half the price.

That is not fair to the people paying top dollars and waiting 6 months for the ZL1. Also, if there's no model differentiation, the brand will fade away - not good for resale value therefore another blow in our face...not in Joe Blow's face.
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote