Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Question Would A Glass Roof Be Possible on a Camaro?

I am a huge fan of T-tops and targa tops, but NOT sunroofs, so I was wondering if it was possible to make a glass roof for the the 5th gen camaro like the one on the mustang, and still have it be structurally sound?

What would be involved, has anyone seen this done before?

I know theres some custom shops out there that have probably done similar things.

I would assume most of where the glass would go is dead space.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
jcollins91106

Drives: 2010 2ss m6
There is a company that will install t tops in a 5th gen...Google 2010 camaro t top conversion, it looks amazing.
2010 2ss M6, TSP 1 7/8 Long Tube headers,dual electric cutouts, 3" pipes all the way back to magnaflows. elite engineering catch can, custom painted engine cover,CAI cold air intake, apex cold air racescoop, jannety racing 470 hp kit, custom JRE hot rough idle blower cam, jannety racing dyno tuned. pfadt lowering springs, lsr short throw shifter, custom sub setup,sony 7" indash nav, interior stiching dye, 20% tint all around, HAVOC spoiler, tail light black out, chevy emblem black out, seibon BBII carbon fiber hood,Front and rear bowtie blackouts. 461 rwhp and not done yet!
jcollins91106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

I see that, but its missing the glass part that I want, lol
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
A sunroof that doesn't open? Don't see the point. Tanning your bald spot maybe? When I get in a car with a sunroof, and I'm not going to open the roof, first thing I do is close the shade. So if that roof never opened, don't see the purpose of the glass. Fishbowl affect maybe? Vit. D booster?

To me it would seem like riding in the back seat of a CTS coupe. My first thought was, this sure is odd sitting here with glass overhead. Anyone got some sunscreen?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
they are very exspensive too!

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
BBQdDude

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
Wouldn't cutting it weaken the body structure?
BBQdDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
our older vette had a glass roof, and it had a light tint/sun cover thing on it so you can still see our perfect but it wont burn your head lol i think it would be cool to have done, i like it.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
A sunroof that doesn't open? Don't see the point. Tanning your bald spot maybe? When I get in a car with a sunroof, and I'm not going to open the roof, first thing I do is close the shade. So if that roof never opened, don't see the purpose of the glass. Fishbowl affect maybe? Vit. D booster?

To me it would seem like riding in the back seat of a CTS coupe. My first thought was, this sure is odd sitting here with glass overhead. Anyone got some sunscreen?
I have t-tops on my 4th gen, and they are very tinted, Its just a cool feature to have almost the whole roof glass, taking it off is cool too, but I just love having the car feel so open.
4th gens are like 90 percent glass, huge windshield, massive back glass on the hatch, big side windows and a glass roof, theres only 2 strips of non-transparent material above the hood/doors line.

Thats what I like.

By the way, my t tops come with shades as well as tint. And Im not opposed to a targa top like the vettes where its glass, but the entire roof panel comes out.

I just dont like how small the sun roof is, and how it sticks up in the air and out of the car when you open it like an acura or some other asian car, American cars used to have it hide away inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdDude View Post
Wouldn't cutting it weaken the body structure?
Yes, but I would think the edges are where most of the strength lies, the middle is most likeyl sheet metal.

I was thinking just like the mustang where it keeps a 3-4 inch section on either side
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I think the glass roof on the mustang is a silly idea. Why do I want to sit in a greenhouse.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Synner

Drives: cars
I've seen it done on West Coast Customs; it requires a metal border to be welded in and then a blank made. The blank is then sent to a company to make a plexi piece that matches the shape of the blank. It's going to cost you a crap ton to have done as everything about the process is custom and labor intensive; plus you have to hack up the roof quite a bit.

As for structural integrity the camaro comes in a convertible but has bracing added. So a strut tower brace and hotchkis brace would be a good idea if you drive aggressively. To me if you plan on a bunch of power mods and drive at the track I wouldn't touch the roof, for a daily driver its no big deal.

I haven't taken the headliner off but most cars have a u-shaped brace that goes down the center of the roof for added structural integrity; it's not just in the pillars. Large squares don't have a lot of strength in certain directions and require lateral bracing which is what the center provides. Cars with sun roofs have a revised roof that has the bracing go around it.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
I've brought this up before and still love the idea. The camaro is the perfect candidate for a glass roof due to the inside of a tank kind of feeling you get with the current setup.
It would be a nice option to have from the factory. You don't like it, don't check the box for the option.

I also had an idea for a glass Mohawk in place of the barely noticeable current mohawk.

Both options would be awesome along with the current sun roof and droptop, you can get as much or as less wind/ sun in your face as u wanted.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
jandaseve

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 1SS/RS Hurst
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Now that looks good! Tinted glass t-tops would be even better though.
jandaseve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
I don't see why everyone has a problem with glass roofs. I have a T-top car as well, but it's a 3rd gen. I love the T-tops and the open feeling that comes with them, either on or off. I think the Glass roof is a nice idea, seeing as GM won't put T-tops on cars anymore. It would definitely help get rid of the feeling you're in the cabin of a boat.

If you don't like it, don't order the option.
_Nick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
If I'm not mistaken Ford had to drop the Glass Roof due to crash test issues...
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote