Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Satellite Radio Installation

So Santa dropped off an XM kit for the Cobalt this Christmas. So I had a question for anyone who has installed one of these before. Is it worth it to get it professionally hardwired in, or should I do the DIY hookup to the FM antenna? I'm going to keep this car for a long time and I spend a lot of time in it, so I want it to be done right, but I also don't want to spend extra money if I don't have to.

Thanks for your opinions!
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #2
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Thumbs up

actually they are pretty easy, i installed Sirius into my dad's Monte Carlo. all you really have to do is run the wiring along the edge of the interior and under the trim thats along the edge of the carpet. on my dad's car he put the antenna module on the roof near the window and had the wiring run under the rubber seal around the rear glass and then into the trunk and then through the rear seats (which flip down). I personally would not go that crazy and have mine on the deck lid near the rear window . I am not sure how XM is set up but on Sirius you don't actually hook it into the car stereo it has it's own antenna that connects from the tuner module and has a small wire that runs along where the dash meets the glass and then the antenna attaches along the outer side edge of the glass, then you just plug in the power cord into the cig lighter. if you want to have it done, it should NOT be that expensive if there are places that install car stereos, it should only take them no more than a half hour .
Old 12-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
stovt001

Thanks. So I looked at my uncle's van today, as he has the exact same system I do, and he set his up pretty much like that and said it was really easy. So I went out and attempted to install it, and realized there is not one area in my car that is a good place to mount it. Either it will be in the way of the controls, be launched by the airbag into my passenger's chest at 200mph in the case of a crash, or will not allow for good wire placement. Even if it could fit anywhere, the bracket will not adhere to any surface. Sigh. The dark side of Christmas rears its ugly head.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I had Sirius installed in my Jeep by the place I bought it from.

I'm glad I had them install an "FM modulator" as I have never lost reception, anywhere! My parents have in (from the factory) in their Jeep, and it loses reception ocassionally.

Satellite radio has ruined me.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
There should be a clip that came with it that will allow you to "mount" it on one of your air vents. That's how I have my XM in my truck.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Thumbs up

my dad has his unit attached to the windshield via a big suction cup (thiiiiip!)
Old 12-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
stovt001

In California you're not allowed to do windshield mounts, sadly, so there goes that plan. And nope, no clip included in my kit, just an adhesive pad. I don't want my vent blocked anyway. Well thanks. My uncle is coming out on New Years Eve, so he might be able to help, or I might just have it fully installed. Thanks so much guys!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Just a thought, but seeing as you're not allowed to have the radio mounted on the windshield, does the Cobalt have a center console with an area for storage? If so, that might be a good place to mount the radio?

Regarding the installation; although I wasn't impressed with the person who did mine, he did do a good job. The installation looks "factory", which was important to me.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #9
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

You can also get a clip and attach it to the ashtray (if there is one). I had mine like that for a while too. It's nice when it looks factory, but I want mine to be portable so I can put it in my wife's minivan for long trips.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
stovt001

No ashtray and no center console, but thanks for the idea. I think it might fit just off to the left of the wheel, above the trunk release button and compartment, but I'm not sure. Sadly the adhesive on the mount just doesn't work, so until I get some new adhesive I'm out of luck.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #11
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

If you don't use your cup holder (or don't care) you could mount it where the cup holder is in front of the shifter.

Just an idea...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #12
stovt001

I considered just that actually, but I think I just might end up getting it professionally installed. The main problem I can think of with that location is visibility. Might be hard to read the screen quickly if its all the way down there, but I'll just play around with it and see what works.