Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
orbitearl

Drives: 2010 r/s switchblade metalic
Does GM still sell their test cars?

In 1973 we had a 73 Impala with air bags. It was a GM test car. Just wondered if they still sell the cars they use to test new options.
orbitearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Depends on what you're talking about. CTF cars yes. IVERs, no.

CTF cars are more or less production cars that GM employees drive and report any problems so they can fix them before retail production begins. Once the test period is over, they're cleaned up and retrofitted with any updates and auctioned off.

IVERs are engineering cars that must be crushed at the end of the program. A lot of them are cobbled together (interiors are sometimes duct taped together) and GM can't risk the liability.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Depends on what you're talking about. CTF cars yes. IVERs, no.

CTF cars are more or less production cars that GM employees drive and report any problems so they can fix them before retail production begins. Once the test period is over, they're cleaned up and retrofitted with any updates and auctioned off.

IVERs are engineering cars that must be crushed at the end of the program. A lot of them are cobbled together (interiors are sometimes duct taped together) and GM can't risk the liability.
And I thought that even with the CTF cars, it somewhat depends on the amount of work that needs to be done to bring it back to production trim.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
empirecovers

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I didn't know they did this in general. It would be interesting to find out the answer! I would assume its a big liability but it could be sold as a certified pre-owned vehicle?
empirecovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Back in the day, GM donated a NUMMI built test mule Chevrolet Prism to the PD I worked for. It came with ownership papers that said the car could not be sold and must be returned to GM for disposal. Although it looked and drove normally, it had a non-conforming VIN and could never be registered at a DMV.
It ended up being used in the DARE program.
I think the key in purchasing a test car is how the VIN is configured.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Many years ago GM sold parts off of test cars to employees. Legend has it there was a lawsuit over fatalities and ever since all parts are destroyed.

If a CTF can not be easily brought to production standards it will not be sold. I am told Number 2 became a test property for the now ZL1 and Number 3 never made it out of captivity.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
http://wikicars.org/en/Airbag

"Then, GM who had also been experimening (sic) with airbags, built a fleet of 1000 1973 model Chevrolet experimental cars fitted with modified 1972 Oldsmobile dashes and airbags for the driver and front passengers. These cars were later fitted with seatbelts (lap belts only) before being sold to the public through the Chevrolet dealers in 1975."
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote