Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Never understood why GM just didnt let us check the oil with our DICS.
I'd rather not use mine
Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Guess there are too many Dipsticks that don't know how to use a dipstick.

I never had an oil issue with my LLT and so far none with my LFX.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post

Wow... douche
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
My 04 Silverado 5.3 has one. One day on a long trip I stopped for gas and when I re-started got a message to check oil level. WTH? Yep, I was a quart low. First and only time I've seen it.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #19
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post
It's called a dipstick and it should be checked at least weekly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
It's not difficult to pop the hood and check the oil level.

It's almost too lazy to instead want a gauge which would just be another sensor that could go bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
every time you gas up the car in fact.

tire pressure should also be checked at the same time, as should all your exterior lights..

just sayin' that's how I was raised. you gotta stand around for 5-10 minutes while your car is drinking it's go go juice, so make use of the time and do your maintenance checks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I've always wondered if my dipstick was lying to me. I consistently hear about the LLT just "eating up oil" and stories of quarts lost here and there and all this being something quite common. Mine has always been fine and changed whenever the DIC reads 10% or 6000 miles, whichever comes first. How can the same car with the same drivetrain have such different reactions with engine oil. Driving habit can't be it cause I drive like a jackass.
Quote:

Our dipstick in the Camaro doesn't read consistently I've been lucky with my engine, but I DO know it's been an issue with some. Don't know if the oil pressure gauge could give you a clue, but I keep a good eye on mine

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #20
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
All of you people saying just read the dipstick, you must have never checked on this car. This one is quite tricky. Why deal with it if you could just check the sensor reading?

Someone look into this!
Thank you and they all probably stick a dip stick in the gas tank to find out how much gas they have too
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #21
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
Wow... douche
It was a joke buddy....

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-21-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #22
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
It's 2012. Please show me the average consumer checking oil level on a daily or weekly basis.
Unbelievable. Just because we love our cars and are old school doesn't mean everyone is and I sure as hell can assure you that the majority of the consumers of GM products will not check their oil regularly let alone periodically

And oil level gauge would be useful
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #23
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Just in case anyone is wondering...
The proper way to use a Dipstick, get the engine up to temperature, Park on a LEVEL surface, then shut it off, you should let it sit for about 5 minutes for the oil to drain back to the crankcase then pull the dipstick, wipe it off then stick it back in making sure it is fully seated then pull it back out if its between the top and bottom of the marked area it's fine. Below that add a quart.. It's foolproof if you do it that way.One thing I did notice on the LLT, sometimes it was easy not to get the dipstick fully seated and it would not show any oil on the end. I would recheck it again making sure it was fully seated and it always showed a good level then..
If you don't believe me then check this out: http://autorepair.about.com/od/regul...a/checkoil.htm

We already have other guages on the car that people don't trust, so why add another. I bet GM will still tell you the level guage is no substitute for a manual check, Just as they do with the tire pressure sensors. I know I would never trust my engine to a oil level guage alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Thank you and they all probably stick a dip stick in the gas tank to find out how much gas they have too
TJ91, if you run out of gas your engine is still ok, if you run out of oil well thats another stiry....

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-21-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #24
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Right? And there is a reason you don't use a dipstick to read gas, you need to know how much you have while you are driving. It is no secret our engines burn oil, I mean GM even had to issue a reprogramming for the OIL meter!

The same reason you need to know how much gas you have on the fly, is the same reason it would help to know the oil level on our engines. Especially considering they burn oil...

I personally check once every 1 to 1.5 weeks. It always varies on how much oil I need to add, if any. I'm human and I can't reasonably expect to always get an accurate measure. Especially on a car that is tricky to check. I also have to play a guessing game on how much I need to add.

Imagine you just check the dic and it gives you a number x.x/6.0 quarts?

Quote:
Just in case anyone is wondering...
The proper way to use a Dipstick, get the engine up to temperature, Park on a LEVEL surface, then shut it off, you should let it sit for about 5 minutes for the oil to drain back to the crankcase then pull the dipstick, wipe it off then stick it back in making sure it is fully seated then pull it back out if its between the top and bottom of the marked area it's fine. Below that add a quart.. It's foolproof if you do it that way.One thing I did notice on the LLT, sometimes it was easy not to get the dipstick fully seated and it would not show any oil on the end. I would recheck it again making sure it was fully seated and it always showed a good level then..
If you don't believe me then check this out: http://autorepair.about.com/od/regul...a/checkoil.htm

We already have other guages on the car that people don't trust, so why add another. I bet GM will still tell you the level guage is no substitute for a manual check, Just as they do with the tire pressure sensors. I know I would never trust my engine to a oil level guage alone...

TJ91, if you run out of gas your engine is still ok, if you run out of oil well thats another stiry....
Do you think you could make a video on that because none of us know how to check using the dipstick. And the highlighted part shows that you basically admitted checking oil on this car is easy to mess up. Sorry bud but I see no good argument against getting an oil gauge in the car and you basically are providing more reason to have one.

And out of curiosity, could you list some of these gauges on the car that people don't trust? All of mine seem to work 100% and even the TPMS are never more than 1-2 PSI off.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Right? And there is a reason you don't use a dipstick to read gas, you need to know how much you have while you are driving. It is no secret our engines burn oil, I mean GM even had to issue a reprogramming for the OIL meter!

The same reason you need to know how much gas you have on the fly, is the same reason it would help to know the oil level on our engines. Especially considering they burn oil...

I personally check once every 1 to 1.5 weeks. It always varies on how much oil I need to add, if any. I'm human and I can't reasonably expect to always get an accurate measure. Especially on a car that is tricky to check. I also have to play a guessing game on how much I need to add.

Imagine you just check the dic and it gives you a number x.x/6.0 quarts?

Do you think you could make a video on that because none of us know how to check using the dipstick. And the highlighted part shows that you basically admitted checking oil on this car is easy to mess up. Sorry bud but I see no good argument against getting an oil gauge in the car and you basically are providing more reason to have one.

And out of curiosity, could you list some of these gauges on the car that people don't trust? All of mine seem to work 100% and even the TPMS are never more than 1-2 PSI off.
Lol right. I was just saying you HAVE to be sure you checked it correctly. It goes for any car. Not just the Camaro. If it shows low you always check it a second time making sure you get a correct reading that should be common sense.

About not trusting gauges, I've seen threads on here about people not trusting some of them... I never said they didn't work just some people don't trust them, oil pressure, temperature and the TPMS.
About the TPMS, in the owners manual it states "Please note that the TPMS
is not a substitute for proper tire maintenance, and it is the driver’s responsibility to maintain correct tire pressure, even if under-inflation
has not reached the level to trigger illumination of the TPMS low tire pressure telltale."
the same would go for any oil level sensor...

But whatever, whine all you want about an oil level gauge, like it or not, you don't have one so you better be checking your oil the old fashioned way....end of story.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-21-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #26
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Lol right. I was just saying you HAVE to be sure you checked it correctly. If it shows low you always check it a second time making sure you get a correct reading. The Camaro isn't the only car I have noticed this on. I have seen it many times.
Again, we are in agreement that it is not easy to get a correct reading. Which is why we want a gauge to make that goal easier, which is the point of this thread.
Quote:

About not trusting gauges, i've seen many threads on here about people not trusting them... I never said they didn't work just some people don't trust them.
Please show me at least ONE thread with someone complaining about an inaccurate gauge on this car and not trusting it besides the TPMS. I'm on this forum a ton and between the tons of threads complaining about things and threads where peope talk about things they wish they could change, I have never seen anyone complain about a gauge.

I'm being hard about this because you're literally citing mistrust as a reason why GM shouldn't put a gauge in a car and there seems to be 0 evidence of this. Sounds like you're making it up.

Quote:
About the TPMS, in the owners manual it states "Please note that the TPMS
is not a substitute for proper tire maintenance, and it is the driver’s responsibility to maintain correct tire pressure, even if under-inflation
has not reached the level to trigger illumination of the TPMS low tire pressure telltale."
the same would go for any oil level sensor...
The reason you can't always rely on the TPMS is because air is constantly expanding and contracting. In addition, the sensors are in the tire, meaning they have to run off batteries and they aren't easy to access. If you aren't aware, they sometimes take a long time to update. When I make my swap from my summer TPMS equipped set, to my winter non TPMS set, it has literally taken almost a day for the computer to realize that the wheels have been changed. This leads me to believe that the TPMS sensors only update every once and while to preserve battery life.

The same would not go for an oil sensor because the circumstances are completely different. In addition, how could you possibly even know that? You're just making a guess based off some cheap sensors in a tire. Simply not a valid parallel.

Quote:
But whatever, whine all you want about an oil level gauge, like it or not, you don't have one so you better be checking your oil the old fashioned way....end of story.
Discussing my reasons for wanting something in a car is not whining. ESPECIALLY considering that is the TOPIC of this thread. Obviously I and everyone else realize there is no sensor. If you go back and read the OP you will find that this point of this thread is to see if maybe such a sensor exists and can be installed on the car or something to that effect.

Either help contribute to this goal or provide a VALID reason why it shouldn't/can't be done, which I mentioned above. Otrherwise just leave the thread man. I think I speak for everyone when I say we don't appreciate your snide remarks and belittling.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #27
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Again, we are in agreement that it is not easy to get a correct reading. Which is why we want a gauge to make that goal easier, which is the point of this thread.

Please show me at least ONE thread with someone complaining about an inaccurate gauge on this car and not trusting it besides the TPMS. I'm on this forum a ton and between the tons of threads complaining about things and threads where peope talk about things they wish they could change, I have never seen anyone complain about a gauge.

I'm being hard about this because you're literally citing mistrust as a reason why GM shouldn't put a gauge in a car and there seems to be 0 evidence of this. Sounds like you're making it up.

The reason you can't always rely on the TPMS is because air is constantly expanding and contracting. In addition, the sensors are in the tire, meaning they have to run off batteries and they aren't easy to access. If you aren't aware, they sometimes take a long time to update. When I make my swap from my summer TPMS equipped set, to my winter non TPMS set, it has literally taken almost a day for the computer to realize that the wheels have been changed. This leads me to believe that the TPMS sensors only update every once and while to preserve battery life.

The same would not go for an oil sensor because the circumstances are completely different. In addition, how could you possibly even know that? You're just making a guess based off some cheap sensors in a tire. Simply not a valid parallel.

Discussing my reasons for wanting something in a car is not whining. ESPECIALLY considering that is the TOPIC of this thread. Obviously I and everyone else realize there is no sensor. If you go back and read the OP you will find that this point of this thread is to see if maybe such a sensor exists and can be installed on the car or something to that effect.

Either help contribute to this goal or provide a VALID reason why it shouldn't/can't be done, which I mentioned above. Otrherwise just leave the thread man. I think I speak for everyone when I say we don't appreciate your snide remarks and belittling.
I have made nothing up. Everything I have said is valid. Maybe the 6th gen will have one. I know of nobody that makes a retrofit oil level gauge. By the way TPMS sensors are not cheap... Have you bought a genuine GM TPMS sensor? $68 Each isn't cheap to me.

Now this is funny while searching for a oil level sensor retrofit kit I found a BMW thread where someone is wanting the opposite of this thread.... He doesn't like the oil sensors and wants a dipstick... I would assume the same would happen if the Camaro only had a sensor and no dipstick.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420302

My point is a dipstick if used properly is more accurate than any sensor. And since we don't have a sensor it is best to know how to properly check oil level. Believe it or not many people do not know how to do it correctly. I included the instructions not trying to belittle anyone but to help those that want to learn or have not been doing it correctly. Sorry you feel that way I will leave this thread to you then...

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-21-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #28
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
I have made nothing up. Everything I have said is valid. Maybe the 6th gen will have one. I know of nobody that makes a retrofit oil level gauge. By the way TPMS sensors are not cheap... Have you bought a genuine GM TPMS sensor? $68 Each isn't cheap to me.

Now this is funny while searching for a oil level sensor retrofit kit I found a BMW thread where someone is wanting the opposite of this thread.... He doesn't like the oil sensors and wants a dipstick... I would assume the same would happen if the Camaro only had a sensor and no dipstick.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420302

My point is a dipstick if used properly is more accurate than any sensor. And since we don't have a sensor it is best to know how to properly check oil level. Believe it or not many people do not know how to do it correctly. I included the instructions not trying to belittle anyone but to help those that want to learn or have not been doing it correctly. Sorry you feel that way I will leave this thread to you then...
Everything you said is not valid, you made a wild claim and have not supported it with any evidence. I asked you to support it and you dodged the question. Please answer, otherwise don't make rash claims that everything you say is valid lol

Your BMW example is again belittling. How does some other car owner from another brand wanting a dipstick help our question of can we get an oil sensor on our cars? You're just trying to throw another jab and present baseless information to stop us from wanting an oil sensor. Why are you so bitter over this oil sensor?

Your point about the dipstick being accurate if correctly used is also irrelevant. How does that help our goal?

If you want to come into a thread and counter argue then go ahead by all means. Just make sure you provide actual points and back them up with evidence. You belittled by pointing out obvious facts and baseless claims. No one here was asking how to check their oil level and by posting instruction on how to you implied that we don't know how to.
At least you confirmed that other cars have one. The odds are probably low for a retrofit but I'm going to look into BMW sensors.