Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
1LE suspension upgrades advise

Would love to hear some advise from suspension experts and members on a good starting point on upgrades to my 1LE. I have read the "book" by pedders on the camaro but i think it was written pre 1le and doesnt have any info on the package. I know bushings or inserts are a good starting point but which ones as far as parts not vendor? I am also considering coilovers but should I test out the stock 1le setup for a while and then upgrade?

I do plan on doing some auto cross and maybe a track event if any are close to my area. I also want to maintain good ride quality but a some added harshness is just fine.

Thanks
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Cradle bushings, trailing and toe rod bushings (all no noise)
diff bushings (some noise possible, depends on diff setup)
sways (no noise if greased and tightened properly)

Hold off on coilovers until you track the car a bit, there's no need unless you get more into track days. Or if you want an aggressive alignment and only want to do it once then add them beforehand. The cradle/trailing/toe bushes are where I would start. Then drive it, learn the car, decide on an upgrade.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Our 1LE camaro is much better out of the box than our 2010 ss was,but there is always room to improve.We will be using a the Pedders Super car justice kit,we track our car often.It depends on your budget but the rear subframe bushings and sway bars are always a good place to start.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Cradle bushings, trailing and toe rod bushings (all no noise)
diff bushings (some noise possible, depends on diff setup)
sways (no noise if greased and tightened properly)

Hold off on coilovers until you track the car a bit, there's no need unless you get more into track days. Or if you want an aggressive alignment and only want to do it once then add them beforehand. The cradle/trailing/toe bushes are where I would start. Then drive it, learn the car, decide on an upgrade.
No need for rear toe link bushings on a 1le or zl1 they come with rubber covered ball joint ish ends on them and are solid. Unless you meant radius are bushings?
But a aggressive alignment is a cheap mod after doing our alignment I wished I would have aligned the car the day after we bought it because it totally changed the car for the better
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
X2 post delete
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
right to travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@raymondsperformance View Post
Our 1LE camaro is much better out of the box than our 2010 ss was,but there is always room to improve.We will be using a the Pedders Super car justice kit,we track our car often.It depends on your budget but the rear subframe bushings and sway bars are always a good place to start.
Thanks will be adding subframe bushing to the list. my budget isnt huge but its enough to get started. As far as sways i had the impression that those should come later in the game. With the super package your putting on doesnt that kinda defeat the purpose of the 1le suspension package as it replaces all or most of the suspension?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to travel View Post
Thanks will be adding subframe bushing to the list. my budget isnt huge but its enough to get started. As far as sways i had the impression that those should come later in the game. With the super package your putting on doesnt that kinda defeat the purpose of the 1le suspension package as it replaces all or most of the suspension?
Last year when the 1LE was first released and JusticePete knew of what was included in regards to suspension with the 1LE, he recommended the Street Z bush kit and the 32MM Pedders ZL1 sway bar to start as an upgrade for the suspension. Hope this helps.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I guess I would ask what you want to do with the car and what is it doing or not doing now that you want aftermarket parts to help you fix.
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywes View Post
I guess I would ask what you want to do with the car and what is it doing or not doing now that you want aftermarket parts to help you fix.
good questions.

pfadt's solid bushings in rear and their zl spec sways are a great place to start. bushings bushing bushings solid where applicable and full bushings where not, skip the inserts.

pfadt or k and w coilovers for more extreme suspension
Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
right to travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
good questions.

pfadt's solid bushings in rear and their zl spec sways are a great place to start. bushings bushing bushings solid where applicable and full bushings where not, skip the inserts. (what is applicable and what is not is my original question?)

pfadt or k and w coilovers for more extreme suspension
Answer to the first part: as of today i want to get it into Z/28 ASS KICKIN TERRITORY . Which from what i have read so far won't take much in the suspension department as it will have a very similar setup supposedly. brakes wheels and tires is another story. I do have a plan on paper for the power gap as well but we'll see on that side

Answer to the second part its not doing anything right now good or bad as it is too cold here to test it out. I'm not looking to "fix" anything but rather enhance whats there and address weak areas if any.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
PFADT Coilovers, Solid Subframe Bushings and their Adjustable Sway bars!!

PM or Call me directly with any questions!

Thanks

JT
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
right to travel

I am very torn between pedders and pfadt. And its for dumb reasons too. I like the pedders red and not a fan of the pfadt orange. yeah i know its under the car but im slightly retarded like that lol. The price difference is not an issue per say it just means i will buy less at a time with one vs the other. Then there is the fact that i wanted to do and "SSXish" replica and that car has everything pfdat makes.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to travel View Post
I am very torn between pedders and pfadt. And its for dumb reasons too. I like the pedders red and not a fan of the pfadt orange. yeah i know its under the car but im slightly retarded like that lol. The price difference is not an issue per say it just means i will buy less at a time with one vs the other. Then there is the fact that i wanted to do and "SSXish" replica and that car has everything pfdat makes.
All of the development, testing and engineering for the 5th Gen Camaro is done with street cars and street tires. Caged or light weight 5th Gen respond differently to suspension changes. Slicks respond well to this spring rate while street tires respond well to that spring rate. That is why an event like the OPTIMA is perfect for us and for our client base. Here is what we have learned.

Your 1LE has upgraded sub-frame bushes. EP1200 inserts are all you will need until you are looking for the last fraction of a second at the AC or road course.

The front 27mm solid factory sway bar is not adjustable, but it is the right strength. The rear 28mm sway bar is too light for the semi square wheel and tire setup. The reason the 1LE delivers with a larger front sway bar than the ZL1 is that the wheel and tire setup deliver a more balanced car. With the smaller 25mm ZL1 front bar the 1LE doesn't understeer enough for OEM liability, but drives GREAT. So they have to dumb down the sway bars. Your 1LE deserves better so we use the 32mm Z bar to create an aggressive balanced 1LE. The OE drop links are good to go. All you need is the upgraded rear bar.

The front radius bush is the same fluid damped bush that GM asked us to replace before they tested the Grand Am prototype. We can go two ways here. The EP6579 full face insert or the EP6577 full bush. Either will reduce the unwanted caster changes that the OE fluid damped bush allows. The range of caster change creates a vague steering wheel. With the full bush or the insert caster changes are reduced and steering is more precise.

These are the low hanging fruit on the 1LE. These budget friendly upgrades you want and need for your 1LE. When you are ready we can add Supercars and a few more bushes. Until then, you'll be driving a 1LE on Pedders steroids.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote