Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #127
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
With all the various opinions expressed here all I can add is as long as the Z does debut once again, it needs to sound something on the order of this:
You will notice the plate that I've had since 1976 is just screaming we/I need a new Z/28, soon. Yes I still own the car. Yes I suspect I will buy a new Z/28

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...28speaksup.mp4

Last edited by macalot; 08-29-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: I guess Photobucket forces one to their site to view videos stored there.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #128
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
With all the various opinions expressed here all I can add is as long as the Z does debut once again, it needs to sound something on the order of this:
You will notice the plate that I've had since 1976 is just screaming we/I need a new Z/28, soon. Yes I still own the car. Yes I suspect I will buy a new Z/28

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...28speaksup.mp4
Is that a Matt Murphy chambered exhaust?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #129
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
That'd be neat precisely because it's 'raw', 'unrefined', and sounds like it's only barely restrained.

about getting that much cam to meet current emissions, though.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #130
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
i hope it comes back it has to for the 6th gen just has to. we have like what 3 years till it is for sale may be?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #131
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
They're not going to put a V6 of any kind in a car with the name Z/28 on it; these guys are car enthusiasts, not corporate suits from accounting. They know what the Z/28 was and they know what it needs to be.
Yeah and many people would have never thought that a full size truck would come with a twin turbo v-6 that out hauls, tows, and is faster than all the V-8 trucks produced by Ford and most other companies' V-8's.

Do you forget the 80's? They put Z-28 on cars that were very sub-par and had no problem doing it. If they think the name will sell cars they'll use it. You have to remember, those cars back in the day made the name Z-28. The name didn't make the car. Now that they have these iconic names they try to use them to make the car. Look at what chrysler has done with "Hemi". None of these modern motors/engines(threw that in for the guy that hates us to use motor when referring to the internal combustion engine) are real Hemis by design. When the Germans took over Chrysler they had a meeting to figure out how to sell that crap. They realized that Chrysler owned an iconic name and that if they starting slapping it on product it would sell. Look what Dodge truck sales did after they starting putting Hemi on them. The best thing about the 60's and early 70's cars were that the car made the name not the other way around.

Build a truly great car and give it a new name. If it is truly great the name will stand the test of time. It doesn't work the other way. I wouldn't give you 20 dollars for any of the 80's Z-28s just because they say Z-28.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #132
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I think the Z28 should get the 505hp 427. The ZL1 should also get the 427 but should remain supercharged. 600+hp?
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #133
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Is that a Matt Murphy chambered exhaust?
No it is not. I actually forget where I did buy them from since this was back in 1992. It is pretty much an exact replacement for OEM though as it looked, sounded and fit just like the ones I replaced.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #134
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Yeah and many people would have never thought that a full size truck would come with a twin turbo v-6 that out hauls, tows, and is faster than all the V-8 trucks produced by Ford and most other companies' V-8's.

Do you forget the 80's? They put Z-28 on cars that were very sub-par and had no problem doing it. If they think the name will sell cars they'll use it. You have to remember, those cars back in the day made the name Z-28. The name didn't make the car. Now that they have these iconic names they try to use them to make the car. Look at what chrysler has done with "Hemi". None of these modern motors/engines(threw that in for the guy that hates us to use motor when referring to the internal combustion engine) are real Hemis by design. When the Germans took over Chrysler they had a meeting to figure out how to sell that crap. They realized that Chrysler owned an iconic name and that if they starting slapping it on product it would sell. Look what Dodge truck sales did after they starting putting Hemi on them. The best thing about the 60's and early 70's cars were that the car made the name not the other way around.

Build a truly great car and give it a new name. If it is truly great the name will stand the test of time. It doesn't work the other way. I wouldn't give you 20 dollars for any of the 80's Z-28s just because they say Z-28.
Pretty good post for a guy from Boobville

Quote:
No it is not. I actually forget where I did buy them from since this was back in 1992. It is pretty much an exact replacement for OEM though as it looked, sounded and fit just like the ones I replaced.
The sound is iconic.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #135
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywes View Post
I think the Z28 should get the 505hp 427.
I think the cost of the LS7 may make it difficult to outfit a Z/28 with an LS7 and keep the price of a Z/28 in line with where it needs to be. I could be wrong, but with an LS7, it could be difficult to keep the price of a Z/28 under $50K.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #136
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post

I haven't forgotten the 80's by any means. However, these aren't the 80's. The 5th Gen isn't a retro remake. So far, the Camaro team has put real changes in each of it's "extra" models; the ZL1, COPO and 1LE all show serious thought and effort to make those cars be their namesake.

If they were going to simply slap a revered name from the past on a warmed-over version of a regular car just to make a fast buck they'd already have demonstrated that mentality. They haven't.

I fully expect they'll make the next Z/28 be truly worthy of the name.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #137
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Doc I respectfully disagree on the zl1. That car was a bad ass 1/4 monster back in 69. The current car is way more of a corner carver
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #138
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Doc I respectfully disagree on the zl1. That car was a bad ass 1/4 monster back in 69. The current car is way more of a corner carver
Yeah it's somewhat of an oddity in that they put all this technology in it but it's not quite the 1/4 mile terror they might have thought it was going to be. The way it performed on the ring and even the fact that's where they were testing it highly suggests they were actually thinking it would be the next Z/28 but somehow it just wasn't/isn't. Even with it's impressive performance it's just too heavy.

It is much closer to the old ZL1 than anything else in the current line-up so that's probably why they gave it that name. It needs more power though and that's probably coming in the next model year.

The fact that the 1LE in early reviews, with 154 less hp is performing very close to the ZL1 on road courses shows the benefits of losing over 200 lbs; uber-technology notwithstanding. If you add 154 hp (without adding weight) to a 1LE it's going to walk away from a ZL1; magnetic super suspension or not.

My previous point is the Camaro team is investing a lot of effort into making each new model be more than just a name badge and some cosmetic changes. The ZL1 has a LOT of changes compared to a regular SS. The fact they did NOT give the ZL1 the Z/28 name shows they know very well what a true Z/28 has to be, and they aren't going to put that name on a Camaro until it's the real deal. That gives me the confidence they're going to do it right.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #139
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
While your statement has some validity, I still think the new ZL1 has more in common with the original ZL1 than it does with a Z/28. "Most powerful Camaro ever" as stated by Chevy/GM is much more in line with the original ZL1, the original ZL1 had the highest HP engine version available in the Camaro at that time utilizing a state of the art big block. The Z/28 back then was a SBC with very good HP output but a huge focus on being a track car. And while today's focus on the new ZL1 being "track ready" helped it to be an all around performer, the extra weight of the LSA engine with it's associated plumbing, etc. keeps it from being completely in the spirit of the first gen. Z/28 or even the spirit of a new Z/28. Just stop and think for a moment what the new ZL1 might have been capable of if it had near the same HP as the LSA version but 200 or more lbs. lighter (with most of that extra weight being in the nose).
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #140
JusticePete

Balance.