Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
diddiyo

Drives: .
Arrow GT-R > Viper ACR @ 1/4 mile

http://jalopnik.com/5115693/nissan-g...-on-drag-strip

"In an indisputable victory for technology over brute force, this video shows the Nissan GT-R laying down a seriously impressive 11.12 second 1/4 mile time, easily outpacing a Dodge Viper ACR."

diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
is it just me, or does it LOOK like the viper won....

ps. that GTR isnt Stock... not sure why a modded car beating a stock car proves anything
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I haven't been a fan of the newer vipers, I used to like them. I just don't know when I stopped liking Vipers but I just do. I'm gonna guess it is when the C6 came out, probably in and around that time. Impressive run for the GTR though, wonder what he's running in that thing to pull an 11.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
I can't watch the video again since i'm back at work but i believe the viper pulled a 11.85. It was a staged race i believe, the GTR started a little bit after the viper did.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
Quote:

ps. that GTR isnt Stock... not sure why a modded car beating a stock car proves anything
it did win and both lights did go green at the same time the gtr needs a driver mod the "launch" special edition cause the rest of the run was all foot to the floor
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i doubt it would do that without the "epic fail" button
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Was a heads up race with no time delay from what I watched and the GT-R needs to work on the reaction time. The Vipers hole shot was the reason it won. Would like to know more the video never tells the whole story engine mod and such.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
i would take the viper, no question. i'm not going to pay 80K for a V6 with turbos even if it is a split second faster. the viper looks much meaner, has a monster engine and of course :flag2:
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Firstly, the Viper ACR is just a better car. Saying that technology won the race is simply not the way to go. Technology creates better cars. In this case, technology created a more aerodynamic, attractive Viper with better numbers that may or may not have lost.

Secondly, the GT-R can't do that without the warranty-voiding launch control feature. :middlefinger:

Thirdly, the Viper driver is clearly superior. A launch that late for the GT-R may as well be a forfeit. I want to see a rematch.

Fourthly, the Viper crossed the line first. Why doesn't that matter?

Fifthly, that Nissan probably has an aftermarket tranny from blowing the first one using the epic fail button.

Sixthly, the fact that there is a red R on a Japanese car automatically adds 200 hp and significantly improves its quarter mile time. This shouldn't have been a race at all. There's simply no excuse for a car with a red R on it to be that close. It should have been an instant win, so this counts as a moral loss for Nissan.

Lastly, your dealer still sucks. Even though this thread has nothing to do with dealers, it is abundantly clear that your dealer is an idiot.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
brute force with a good driver will win.....screw technology....especially if it craps on you all the time....and then cost u 20k to replace.

GTR still is and will always be an epic fail to me.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
GatorBlue371

If the GTR was really as good as the rice pickers would lead us to believe, everyone would be saving their money to buy one instead of hating it.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
If the GTR was really as good as the rice pickers would lead us to believe, everyone would be saving their money to buy one instead of hating it.
they gotta save an extra 20k for the inevitable tranny replacement when it blows up.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
You guys do know that the GT-R can and does rip out 11.xx times WITHOUT launch control....right? A few mods, hell just a tune and it is low 11's, breaking 10's WITH launch control... Why does everyone think this is a terrible car again?

Oh yeah, ignorance and misinformation instead of doing research, that's right. My bad.

I forgot this was an American car forum, therefor:

Japanese = bad car
Anything that isn't a v8 = bad car
Turbo = bad

/Rant off.

Yes, the viper is a nice performance car, but imo it is ugly as SIN. That and the ACR has NO CREATURE COMFORTS AT ALL. The GT-R has a FULL interior, radio, A/C and all kinds of other electronic gizmos. The fact that a car with all the creature comforts and more, can even run a 1/4 anywhere close to that of a stripped down racecar is an amazing feat, but in the video the GT-R manages a FASTER time.... yet people still bag on it.... See above rules for American car forum I suppose....

/Flame suit on.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
You guys do know that the GT-R can and does rip out 11.xx times WITHOUT launch control....right? A few mods, hell just a tune and it is low 11's, breaking 10's WITH launch control... Why does everyone think this is a terrible car again?

Oh yeah, ignorance and misinformation instead of doing research, that's right. My bad.

I forgot this was an American car forum, therefor:

Japanese = bad car
Anything that isn't a v8 = bad car
Turbo = bad

/Rant off.

Yes, the viper is a nice performance car, but imo it is ugly as SIN. That and the ACR has NO CREATURE COMFORTS AT ALL. The GT-R has a FULL interior, radio, A/C and all kinds of other electronic gizmos. The fact that a car with all the creature comforts and more, can even run a 1/4 anywhere close to that of a stripped down racecar is an amazing feat, but in the video the GT-R manages a FASTER time.... yet people still bag on it.... See above rules for American car forum I suppose....

/Flame suit on.
First off, may i start by saying i have not one, but TWO friends who actually own a GTR. So you can STFU about 'ignorance'. I know more about the car than you could ever pretend to.

Second, "In my opinion" whoever sold you that ugly mustang robbed you.

Third, if you want to compare 1/4 times than you should compare them with a GT500, which will blow 10's with much less than 80k+ . But if speed wasn't your argument, then id remind you that same ACR beat it on a track.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
I'm not a fan of either car. Both are absurdly expensive and overrated. How many times did Vipers break down when being tested against Lingenfelter Vettes, Porches, etc? Often enough that I have memory of laughing at it in more than one article.

The GTR...well...yeah it's fast...for $80k it better be. And whether we want to admit it or not, it will not survive too many of those launches.

I'm a Nissan fanboy and a Supra fanatic thanks to having great experiences with both cars in my life. My soul is that of the Camaro and always has been, but I've been around the block. I can respect the amazing technology in the GTR, but I can't give it so much credit that I think it would hold up producing 100% all the time and live to tell about it. Vipers aren't much better.

Give me a Corvette any day. Hell even the GT500 over both of those "supercars".
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote